free hit
counters
Electric water pump...... - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
guitar hero

Electric water pump......

Looking to ditch the leaky and expensive to repair water pump on my 907 with an electric one instead. One on eBay item number 181355361073 which is a Bosch pump. Would this fit the bill? Flow rate seems OK.... Thanks Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't lnow enough about these to comment, I'm afraid.

However, I realise it's twice the price, but Gary Kemp does a refurb for £115 which includes a mod to fit a modern technology (ceramic, I think) water seal. I picked one up 6 months ago, but am still rebuilding the car at the moment. I'm hoping it will be pretty much "fit & forget".

Best, Dave

Thanks chaps...yes looking at the flow rate of the Bosch item again it does seem lacking..however I feel I will pursue the electric route. Reading up on the Craig Davis pump and seems to fit the bill especially allied to the control module.

Taking impellor and shaft out of the old pump and blocking hole up prior to installation of the electric pump is not too much effort.. Everything else is plumbing and sparks which is basic stuff...?! Just seems standard pump is designed to fail. I'm awarethere are people out there doing rebuilds with better seals and bearings tho'. Appreciate your views.... Mike

There is quite a lot of info on lotusexcel.net on this, I run a Davis Craig ewp80 on my Éclat race car, this is controlled by the Davis Craig esp controller that alters the flow of water dependant on the engine temperature.

The Bosch pump you mention is for a water to air chargecooler.  From something along the lines of a Focus RS I would guess.  Not nearly enough flow for engine coolant.,

I am running an aluminium radiator, 115EWP from Davies Craig, electronic controller and fan linked to it.

Page 16 of Ethels rebuild begins on lotusexcel.net is where I begin to tackle this one.  I would post a link but im in Norway on a crappy PC that doesn't allow you to copy and paste links.

Also search for Lotus-e-clans EWP guide in the technical notes section if you have access???

The controller maintains a constant temperature within 3 degrees celcius through pulsing the pump, fan or both at the same time.

Mine is very very efficient.  At times you will barely hear the pump running.  When the engine is cold it only pulses every 20 seconds to aid the warm phase.

I have have removed the thermostat so the temps are maintained meticulously by the controller.

It works so well that I think the 115 litre/min pump is way overspecced and would be quite easy to drop down to 80 litres per min max and still be able to run at full pelt all day long with no overheating, gaining myself 5amps less draw in the process.

Its the sensible way forward.   :driving: More control, more torque, better efficiency, what is there not to love apart from the price tag?

Edited by Fueltheburn