free hit
counters
engine removal 84 excel - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jimw

engine removal 84 excel

We are just about ready to remove engine and gearbox together from our excel. Has anyone got any advice on how far forward we have to bring the whole unit before the driveshaft splines disengage as that seems to be the only thing holding it all back at the mo. We are working with the front raised as we dont have a pit and access is tricky. Cheers, Jim

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Best bit of kit for getting these out is an engine load leveler fitted to the engine crane, allows accurate and controllable adjustment to the tilt of the engine

Ditto this and they don't have to be expensive. My elite engine came out easily with one of these and it only cost £30 or so.

May sound daft, again on an Elite, don't forget to drain gearbox oil, I did, brain was not functioning at that moment, but suddenly came back to life with jolt when drive suddenly became covered with gear oil, as prop shaft flange dropped out of box, and the oily contents ran everywhere.

Hope all goes well.

Drained it all off yesterday thanks after reading another thread somewhere. Just wondering how reluctant the splines will be to disengage without some sort of leverage between diff and gearbox? I'm trying to pull it out with the first section of the exhaust attached as I cant separate the manifold/ exhaust joint which has some mangled nuts that wont free.

Enthusiastic wobbling once the engine is held by the hoist will do it ok

• Like 1

OK many thanks, I'll persevere. Hope to have it dangling on a rope by tomorrow!