free hit
counters
Moving To Australia! - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Moving To Australia!

Ok guys , I need advice.

My wife is from Sydney and she has decided she wants to move back home. I currently live in the USA (I am an American) and we are moving to a place called Darling Point in Sydney. I will no longer have a 5 car garage. I will be moving to as place with a 3 car garage instead BUT with a celing high enough for a lift!

I have 4 beautiful cars now and don't know if I should consider bringing them with me. I have my first car which I will not give up (1983 Rabbit GTI think it's called a Golf there with a Callaway Turbo Kit) and of course I have my 1988 Lotus Esprit. Both cars are pristine and it would be hard for me to find one in that good of shape. Is it feasible to import the cars there? Or should I just give up the idea and buy a car there? Can I import a car that is left hand drive? Is salt water air going eat up my car?

I will be in Sydney in a few months and would love to buy some of my new fellow car buddies some beers. Anyone want to hang out and talk cars? I would love to see some Lotus while I'm there. Any car shows or car meets I should check out?

Thomas

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow! Sounds like the Lotus is popular in Australia!   I'm in New Orleans which is actually a small town. There are only 2 Esprit and 2 Elise in the city!   My other two cars is an Elise (i'm not a

Posted Images

and

Hello Thomas,
What are the other 2 cars? As for where to hang out there's Cavallino Cafe in Terrey Hills 25 minutes drive from Sydney CBD and plenty other car clubs you can join/hang out with including Club Lotus Australia in Sydney. And they are a bunch of nice guys too.
Regards

http://www.cavallino.com.au/cars-and-coffee.html

Welcome to Sydney in advance!! :)

Have heard good things about Cavallino Cafe, haven't yet been to Cars and Coffee myself but have been to the Club Lotus Australia xmas party and recent drive up to Newcastle for brunch. Awesome community, I feel very privileged to be part of it.

Darling Point is a very nice suburb, you'll enjoy it there!

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

With your cars being LH drive registering them isn't possible in NSW until they are 30 years old. So ok for the Golf but a few years off for the Lotus.

As for salt and rust, you shouldn't have a problem unless you park them in the open with sea spray happening. Like California, cars don't rust as badly in Australia as elsewhere.

Being at Darling Point puts you in a great location to enjoy the city, beaches and our beautiful harbour (might need to buy a boat) but a longer distance from our great backroads if you like to do that. Oh and our law enforcement of speed limits can be anal.

Welcome. Hope you settle in quickly and don't get too homesick for Louisiana.

DanR

As for your question about car shows probably our three best are the Kings School British Car Show and Shannons Eastern Creek Show, both in August and the Australia Day Car Show in the city on 26th January.

There's Ford Mustang Show (with huge support from other American iron) at Castle Towers in January that, while not as grand as the other three, is still worth seeing.

DanR

I was going to point out that they will be LHD and Australia is RHD and has strict registration laws......but Dan beat me to it!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Wow! Sounds like the Lotus is popular in Australia!

I'm in New Orleans which is actually a small town. There are only 2 Esprit and 2 Elise in the city!

My other two cars is an Elise (i'm not attached to it) and my Rabbit GTI which will go with me to my grave. My daily driver is a 1976 4x4 Ford Pickup. The roads here are so bad and it floods here so often that I feel that I need a truck.

Guess I will have to talk to Dan about converting to RHD after all! Or perhaps just get another Esprit that is 30 years old and swap the turbo engine and mechanics over.

Glad to hear that my wife is moving me to a nice neighborhood as I'm not happy about having a smaller garage. I think I drove through there before on my way to the Taronga Zoo. My in-laws live in an old italian neighborhood called Leighardt (spelling may be wrong). My wife has a building there that used to be an old factory or something. She knows I need a workshop to hang out in and drink beer. I spend more time in the workshop playing than I do at work. She yells at me from time t time but I have a very understanding wife.  :thumbsup:

I will contact everyone that I can when I am there. We had to push back our trip as we are moving property here so it's looking like late June early July. 

Thanks all!

Thomas

• Like 1

Leichhardt is a popular area with a strong Italian flavour and a lively restaurant/nightlife especially on weekends. Probably an easy 15-20 minutes drive from Darling Point outside peak hours. If you've got the possibility of a large factory-garage there you might acquire a lot of friends.

Converting to RH drive would require a major chassis change where the bracket supports the steering and brake assemblies. Probably need to do the sums about selling there and buying as to the viability of the exercise. Unless you're strongly bonded to the car. This is our best site when searching to buy a car

http://www.carsales.com.au/car/lotus/esprit/

Have you started formal enquiries for bringing the cars here? Our private import laws have lots of hurdles so don't leave finding out what's involved until the last moment.

June/July hey? Our coldest months usually so bring your woolies.

DanR

Have fun with the move Thomas. As far as the esprit goes, may be better to sell then buy another one here due to the difficulties with changing to RHD.

DanR is a great help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

:huh:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Have fun with the move Thomas. As far as the esprit goes, may be better to sell then buy another one here due to the difficulties with changing to RHD.

DanR is a great help. :)

Thanks for the heads up. The only cars I'm attached to is my Rabbit GTI and my grandfather's Ford PickUp (I need something to drive to find bits and parts). Both are over 30 years old so I'm hoping they won't be too hard to import. I'm perfectly happy getting a new car there as I do love my Lotus cars but I can always find others there. Any other suggestions on weird cars let me know. I do not feel the need to stick with one kind of vehicle.

Bring my woolies? That's why I travel to Sydney those months; It's not a accident. It's ball ass HOT in New Orleans those months and I love getting away from it!

I know space is hard to find in Sydney so I'm pleased I will have a workshop. At my last workshop I put up a sign that said "John Deere Tractor Service" and was not bothered too much by people wanting me to fix their Toyota Camry. I had one of my brother's antique John Deere tractors parked out front to scare people away and complete the illusion.

As far as finding a car there I'm open to any kind of car as long as it's weird. While I do love to drive the 911 they are too common for me to find interesting. I saw a half dozen 911s today, but not one Esprit or Elise! 

I'm also glad to know it's a short drive from the house to Leichhardt. I will avoid the traffic. I get up early and leave early (Yeah one of those guys!). I not used to big city life as I'm from a small town.

I have a couple of job offers there now but the deal I made with the wife is if I am willing to move to the other side of the planet I will only go back to work if I want too! (Yeah... call me Lazy but I have a TON of jobs here that I am juggling). The US Consulate could use someone I'm sure. Being an American I like to pack heat (just kidding, really!)

Glad to know a lot of the guys here are engineering nerds like I am!

Odd cars to play with...

You'll find here we tend to glean the best of both US and European car traits. Probably why a lot of your countrymen enjoyed our Commodore v8's which were badged as Pontiac GTO's there. It was a big car that could still wind its way around a curvy road.

There's an idea, stick the LS motors into Boxsters or 944's like Renegade do. Nobody has done that here yet.

With the research you're doing about bringing your cars over be aware that our federal government regulates the importation but our state government regulates their registration. Check them out too for what's required. It's not too hard, a friend brought his LH drive Merak from South Africa and waited until it reached 30.

Cheers

Dan

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/index.html

DanR

I put a Ford 302 into a 914 once. Those were weird enough for me.

My daily driver is currently a 1994 Mazda RX7 (3rd gen) with a handfull of upgrades. Perhaps I could stuff the drive train out of that into a 1st gen RX7 and bring that over if it's easy to import.

So glad all i have to worry about is my cars and tools. I'm going to feel free with out piles of property to manage! The wife is handling all of the house stuff and a workshop for me! I'm starting to feel kind of guilty about it already.

Don't know who is in the current building or how long their lease is. I hope I can move right in when I get there, shipping will take 6 weeks or so. I've never been without tools for that long. Guess I might go crazy and just put my cars on the lifts (which I'm shopping for right now) and make them go up and down day in day out while I'm waiting for my stuff.

I'm not looking forward to the move. I'm apprehensive about moving to Sydney. Thanks for the support guys. I will contact you all again in a few months.