free hit
counters
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 7 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

There's a short piece about the Evora 400 in the Driving section of the Sunday Times. It majors on the extra 'creases' in the bodywork but is largely complimentary.

Edited by the83man

Mike S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's an astonishing piece from Harris. The media analysis of the slow but steady progress under JMG has been pretty consistent across the board. Not out of the woods yet but heading in the right direction and achieving much on limited funds.And still producing outstanding cars that are selling in ever increasing numbers - look at this months Evo review of the Elise S Cup. 5 stars and a final line that says don't fix it if it ain't broke.

I've just re-watched his video test of the Exige S. Its hard to believe that the same bloke could write such a thing now. His critique gives the distinct impression he's in someone's pocket. I wonder who that might be?

The majority of us do not view Lotus through rose tinted spectacles. We're realists who engage in what I believe is reasoned debate on these forums. To accuse his journalistic colleagues and the rest of us of blind jingoism is well out of order. And by the way, as a Lotus fanatic I happen to think Porsche make some fantastic sports cars..........

And besides, since when is supporting British industry and jobs such a crime?

From Chris Harris' article:
"The world is a meritocracy and you'll be judged on how good you are relative to your peers; especially so if you happen to be an automobile. And at what point will the media realize that the people who buy these cars congregate online and laugh at the fanboy editorial?"

Really? Last I checked most of us live in a Corporate Cleptocracy where the guy with the biggest budget, most marketing muscle, and of course, Ayn Rand's infamous "pull", wins the blue ribbon prize at the end of the day. Tosh.

Edit: How, how, HOW could I leave this out:
"Once the goodwill from the UK magazines and websites has subsided, Lotus will be left with a car that is more expensive than a Cayman GT4, has a fraction of the showroom appeal and looks far too similar to the model that's been on sale since 2009. An 'all new supercar?' Come on."

Did he REALLY just level that accusation at Lotus, with a straight face, while using a Porsche as the basis for comparison!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Hmm.. He's got a point about the British motoring press having rosy eyes for British cars. But this is also true of other countries press having rose tinted shades on their own manufactures. It's called being patriotic. Nothing wrong with backing your own!

A lot of points are valid but he's definitely forgotten what an Evora is like to drive. Lotus DNA is special.

A bit of a "look at me I know best article". I respect his analysis of cars he's driven but this is a bit harsh.

I'd love to know what Clarkson's view is... That's the one which will count.

Respectfully, auRouge is spot on.  Perhaps it is easier for me to see it as a non-brit but it has astonished me over the years how the British motoring press (in general) slobbers all over a new AM, Lotus, or Jaguar each time one is released and often declares it better than a competitor that is universally more lauded.  This happens in every country.  One only needs to look at US mags when the newest Corvette or Mustang is released to learn why the new Mustang GT is a greater car than the Porsche GT3 or the Corvette than the Ferrari F12.  

Penis Harris, on Friday 2:05pm  said: "in the UK it's normally some cottage-scale sportscar manufacturer that is scrabbling around for oxygen in a world of Porsches and Lamborghinis."

After careful consideration I have concluded that Chris Harris is a bell end.  This article is harsh and emotional and not well considered.  From the quote above it sounds like Lotus, the cottage sports car maker, shouldn't really bother making cars any more as they're out of their depth.  I can now understand why some people have taken exception to his views.

Can you imagine what the 1,000 people who work there think of him now? Knob. Wonder what Porsche promised/paid him to write that? Perhaps a German passport if we're lucky enough :D

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Respectfully, auRouge is spot on.  Perhaps it is easier for me to see it as a non-brit but it has astonished me over the years how the British motoring press (in general) slobbers all over a new AM, Lotus, or Jaguar each time one is released and often declares it better than a competitor that is universally more lauded.  This happens in every country.  One only needs to look at US mags when the newest Corvette or Mustang is released to learn why the new Mustang GT is a greater car than the Porsche GT3 or the Corvette than the Ferrari F12.  

I guess you haven't been reading Evo lately then!

Some have argued (guess who!) that the Evora was overly praised at launch, but the steering remains best in class today, even more so since Porsche went to electric steering. The ride and composure over rough roads is also unsurpassed for a car of its type. It's also true that Ferrari benchmarked the Evora (not the 911) when it came to developing the 458's steering. So it can't be all national bias. Either way, not since 2009 has the Evora been declared better than the obvious competition. I think the UK press realised they might have overdone it a bit and the Evora S and much improved MY12 Evoras received a very subdued reaction.

I haven't read any recent tests of any Aston Martin or Jaguar that has been declared superior to the Porsche alternative either. We are repeatedly told that Astons are outdated, the gearboxes are antiquated, that the F-type is too heavy and so on. I'm not suggesting that these points are not valid but they rather contradict your view that 'the British motoring press (in general) slobbers all over a new AM, Lotus, or Jaguar each time one is released and often declares it better than a competitor that is universally more lauded.'

Perhaps you could argue that there are issues such as the dim a/c lights in the Exige V6 that the UK press has overlooked. But equally I've only ever read that Elises are a pain to get in and out of, without any mention of the importance of true side-impact protection in a small car. Porsche went to EPAS and ditched the manual for the new GT3 without a murmur. Losing steering feel in a car built purely for driving pleasure is a pretty big deal and worthy of proper scrutiny.

Happy to be proved wrong but I really don't see the UK press as being unreasonably pro-British. 20 years ago, maybe, but not for a long time now. For one thing, only McLaren, Caterham and Morgan remain British owned. I don't see them getting favourable treatment. The MP412C is beaten by the Ferrari 458 in every test I have read.

• Like 1

The 400 is really growing on me since first seeing the pictures plus some new ones, and there's a great buzz over here for the car. Kudos to Russell Carr and everyone involved, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I have read nothing about the question who is really responsible for the design of the Evora 400 (of course it is a Team not a single Person ?) but the sim to the Esprit gives a hint that maybe Donato Coco is resp for a lot ?

@@@Bibs: WE DO NOT WANT TO HAVE THIS SILLY GUY EITHER - your "present", sending CH to our Country would be such a huge gift I have to regret this ...unfortunately.....

(your comment on the Feelings of the workers is spot on!)

Willi, I think the idea that Donato Coco signed off the Evora 400 is very plausible and highly likely. It looks like his work. I can only imagine that Russell Carr wasn't given the opportunity or the time to change it. I could be completely wrong but I don't imagine he would consider it to be an improvement.

It's definitely growing on me and I've heard that it has real presence in the flesh but going purely on the pictures I still prefer the Evora SR, both inside and out and think the GTE is on another level altogether. Regardless, if it helps sell some more Evoras I'm all for it!

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and people have a right to prefer something else, but for Mr Harris to do it without having driven it, and only a day after the photos and specs are first released, is unprofessional at best. But he has painted himself into a corner now, let him deal with the consequences.

I have been a fan of Lotus for almost all of my 50 years in this world, and my excitement at the thought of a new Evora was immeasurable. Imagine my excitement when Google+ popped up the other day with the new pictures. Its more than I could have hoped for given the lack of funds lotus have, a point maybe lost of some critics. I would love to see Porsches budget for the GT4. Don’t get me wrong, I think the GT4 is a great car, I just personally think the 400 is better. Pity I don’t have 70 odd grand to buy one. 

Roll on magazine reviews (and a video, autocar please). But I for one like what they have done. Fingers crossed the improvements continue.

• Like 1

With CH's article I'm prepared to give him some slack. He's seems to me to be commenting generally about the cars and it's not a treatise on how to go about improving things, the cars, their development and the management.

I reckon what he's written is more like a coach trying to rev the team up to get them into the big league.

DanR

I went from my Evora NA IPS to a Porsche Boxster GTS PDK last November. Note that I chose the Boxster because the Cayman is butt-ugly and the GT4 is a marketing exercise.

So with 330HP and 1375Kg the GTS does 0-62 in 4.7 seconds, besting my Evora NA IPS by 0.3 seconds. So in other words, they are about line ball performance wise, and it feels that way to me in terms of weight and acceleration.

Is the Porker a better car? Tricky question.....

I miss the Evora's chassis, steering and those Recaros were magnificent. And the Evora got a LOT of attention everywhere it went because of its rarity. I loved the minimalist cabin, the way it looked and how it made you feel driving it. The downside was that even with the air box replaced with a Radium CAI and a titanium factory exhaust it sounded aenemic except at full bottle induction. I would often be told at Lotus club drives by Elise/Exige owner that they could not hear the Evora at all.

For me, the theatre of the engine and exhaust noise is about 50% of a sports car's appeal. This is why Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari and Jaguar spend so much money on noise engineering their exhausts.

The Boxster GTS's engine/exhaust note is about the best I have ever heard, roof-down driving is an absolute hoot and in all honesty it handles within 90% of the Lotus and has much better build quality inside the cabin. Contrary to some opinion here the GTS gets about the same amount of attention and it's equally rare since I have not seen another on the roads yet here in Hampshire. Boxsters abound aplenty yes, but tired old 986s or 987s are very different to a new GTS which looks quite striking with its bodykit.

So now the Evora 400 gets announce, dammit! Had it been announced last October I would have deferred my Porker purchase until I had driven them both for sure. I just hope Hethel spent some R&D money on making the bugger sound LOUD and fun, GTS or F-Type style. The solution for me though is to buy the Evora in 12-24 months time and have them both in the garage so I have both a convertible and coupe. I may be able to grab a low-mileage one by then.

• Like 1

John,

A fair comparison I would think of the two cars. I am a little disappointed with the way the Evora is going in terms of weight though as it seems heavy given the Lotus philosophy. anyone else feel a little let down?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

but they just made it lighter!

Presumably you were hoping it would be more than 22kg lighter Trevor? They are planning a Cup version which will be.

If the e evora is going to compete with the likes of the 911 it needs more kit like reversing cameras, better seats, more sound deadening etc so weight comes with that.

Stu

You mean stuff only posers need? BTW the Evora already has the reverseing camera and there must be a reason why so many want MORE sound in the cabin. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Hethel's biggest mistakes with positioning the Evora is their competitive target and their options list.

They virtually have no options list; IPS, three different trim levels, a few wheels - that's it.

My porker started at £53K and finished at £70K by the time I had specced what I wanted. I could have gone to £85k. Lotus needs to start with a lower base price and have a longer options list. They should also pull their heads out of their arses and begin to compete with Boxster, Cayman, F-Type Jag - not bloody 911s.

but they just made it lighter!

Presumably you were hoping it would be more than 22kg lighter Trevor? They are planning a Cup version which will be.

Not really what I meant to say. It was reading the weight of the Boxster and the power figure made me think about the Evora weight which disappointed me. I hoped it would be lighter than a Boxster. The 22kg saving is good coupled with an extra 55hp and yes I've been pushing for a Cup although when it comes to it I suspect the draw of a 400 Exige Cup will likely win. Let's see how I feel after Geneva.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.