free hit
counters
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 10 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Evora 400

Can't agree with that AuRouge. British press is more pro-Porsche than pro Lotus. Look at Evo, half of them own 911's, Porsche reviews sell more magazines than Lotus and they spend far more on advertising and lavish press launches. Evo and the rest can't afford to upset either Porsche or Ferrari. Lotus is an easy target along with Aston Martin and Jaguar who all receive far more criticism in the UK press than Porsche do.

But Chris Harris was paid to write that. And also took the trouble to slate the new Evora in his spare time to his 94,000 Twitter followers for good measure. It will cost Lotus sales for sure and erode the confidence which is crucial for car sales at this end of the market. Potentially sue-able I'd say. The really hideous thing is that he's doing it all as a stunt to come across as the only journo with the balls to tell 'the truth'. Toxic individual.

With full respect Pits, I disagree with you too. Porsche make great cars and the British press rightly acknowledges it. Porsche etc have been putting out a lot of cars for the British press to talk about. Lotus hasn't. If Lotus did make more models then maybe there would be something positive to talk about...

Lotus makes great drivers cars. Harris is simply making the point that they are not as good as Porsche as their budget is different. This is true, the build quality of my Evora isn't the same as a German rival. It's much more fun to drive and own though!!

He's stupid making such a meal of it (look at me BS) without driving it but when he praises the German motors it's because they are GOOD! Might not be to my taste but that's irrelevant. They are in a different league overall.

In my eyes you can spend a load of money on R & D but you can't buy the Lotus way of making a car drive, it's exciting and a thrill everytime. (Even if the footwell is wet!)

I hope that somebody at Lotus will push this "thrill of driving" across more in it's next marketing campaign. Porsches are great but will they make you feel excited in the way a new Lotus will?

No they won't.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've not driven an Evora until last week. I drove over to Hofmann's in my 991 deliberately to make the back to back comparison. To echo Dave's points I was not disappointed with the cabin feel and qua

Good news!! I just got a call from the dealer.  Lotus sends apologies all around for the confusion and will be building the vehicle exactly as my order specified.   The color is officially no longer

Middle of next week

Posted Images

The majority of us do not view Lotus through rose tinted spectacles. We're realists who engage in what I believe is reasoned debate on these forums. To accuse his journalistic colleagues and the rest of us of blind jingoism is well out of order. And by the way, as a Lotus fanatic I happen to think Porsche make some fantastic sports cars..........

And besides, since when is supporting British industry and jobs such a crime?

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

The Evora 400 will be amazing to drive. Looks will divide as always but if they've sorted the niggles from the original and added power whilst reducing weight... It's going to be amazing.

Rattling Porsche's cage worked wonders for the Nissan GTR. Lotus need to do likewise. Go on the offensive. Be Virgin Atlantic to Porsche's British Airways.

The Evora's a 911 alternative and not the car to take the fight to the GT4. The Exige 400 is. It can't come soon enough.

100% agree! Like the airline analogy too!

Exige 400 is the GT4's competitor, get it out there before the market becomes even more confused as to what an Evora is...

I can't see the Exige and the GT4 being in the same bracket on any level really. Where do you see it compares? Comfort, useability on a daily basis, quality?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

i think the current exige v6 would be faster than a gt4 arround most tracks..a 400bhp with a limited slip would destroy a gt4

A quick look on interweb shows Ring times of 7.40 for GT4 and only 7.53 (magazine not manufacturer) for Exige.

I spoke to engineers at the ring that we use and their comments echoed how quick the pork was lapping, to which they commented to me 'you will be needing upgrades'...

Will be interesting to see how they perform.

Black n gold

I thought the GT4's 'Ring time was an estimate?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Take a look at this month's Evo. 2 really poorly lashed together pages on the Evora 400. Headline on the front cover reads 'Evora 400. Too little, too late?' Cayman GT4 gets 6 pages, double page spreads, and wall to wall glowing praise.

I'd hate to see Harris's idea of a less biased press!

Some sections of the UK press have always had a bias towards anything with a Porsche badge on it. At the end of the day, anyone switched on to sportscars who is in the market for one, will take magazine opinions with a pinch of salt.

You cant blame people for buying a Porsche, its fully understandable. But for anyone wanting one, you will always find someone who doesnt want one. Forget trying to beat Porsche because people who want one wont look at anything else. Maybe Lotus needs to look at the F-Type/Vantage buyer, annalyse what cars people buy who dont want a Porsche. They are the people Lotus needs, there are plenty of them out there.

From the press realease vids etc you're right. They can't test on the Ring until the weather breaks.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I agree that there has always appeared to be some bias towards Porsche in the UK media, but given Porsche's status as the major player, and the fact that their products really are very good (just not for me), it's not entirely surprising. These magazines do exist after all to generate shareholder return, they aren't there to provide a public service!

That's not to say that they are always negative towards the competition. I remember the UK magazines gave very positive reviews to the Evora when it was originally launched back in 2009, and again to the V6 Exige in 2012. Harris himself was very fulsome in his praise of the Exige as I recall.

Porsche quoting it as 'official' now within their Geneva press info, tho there is some doubt being cast on the video of the lap in the yellow car.

Trevor - testing all finished last year, apparently 3RS will still be doing some durability runs though and that is said to be v quick.

Makes me wonder about the 7.53 that Sport Auto did for the Exige, especially when Seat are still going on about the 7.58 in a Leon. Shame but doubt we'd see a factory time for the Exige so will have to await some third party tests this year.

Black n gold

it will be quicker than the estimate.... that's there to get any others out there to commit to showing their hands before they have to - if there is anyone out there!

porsche knew the fastest time the gt4 can set some time ago ....  

It's lively around here.

I think the Exige S is now aiming squarely at the Cayman. It will receive a raft of improvement in the next two years to make it even closer or Cayman fighter. It should be quite a dramatic departure under the skin actually, and It will receive the 400 engine next year. It will be a threat on any track at this price point.

Both Porsche and Lotus exactly know what the cars can do at the Nurburgring they know how fast the cars are at any corner of the track.  it's not like they don't spend 300 days at the track and don't spy on one another. if JMG says the  Exige 400 is going to be the fastest car at the track he's got a good reason for it he already has numbers cause the engine must have been tested in a mule over there already  for months.

Back on topic now.

The evora has been given a new mission, go after the 911 and the other supercars. The 400 is the new base model, some will think it is still underpowered but they fail to see the point, it's not about sheer power Lotus has never been about sheer power.

When JMG says the Evora is the fastest ever Lotus, it is because they've probably been to Nardo or somewhere to do high speed testing. When he mentions the 300kph top speed he can't be showboating, it has to be true. When the PR dept says it's 6 second faster than the Exige S on track they have the data to prove it. And I can't wait to see what the Evora will do at it's first test again i'm guessing the 911 GTS which is the car it's aiming at imo. I don't think JMG will want the car to be compared to the GT4. The GT4 is a track special the 400 is an hybrid between GT that it was conceived to be and a supercar that they now want it to be. it doesn't have all the go crazy fast bits the GT4 has but when it does receive them it will be in a different league. I truly believe that.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

I haven't read all of this thread so apologies if this has been said before but I think the number plates with nasty red graphics spoil and cheapen the appearance of the car in the pics. If you cover them up with your finger it looks even better.

For what my opinion is worth I think is exactly the car Lotus should build, it is better in most areas than the old one, LOADS faster (SIX seconds round Hethel?!? wtf??), lighter (crucially, unlike new Elises that seem to get heavier and heavier) and looks a lot better.

Can I have mine in midnight blue metallic with burgundy leather please?

The GT4 is a track special the 400 is an hybrid between GT that it was conceived to be and a supercar that they now want it to be. it doesn't have all the go crazy fast bits the GT4 has but when it does receive them it will be in a different league. I truly believe that.

Exactly what I think. The GT4 is a track focus car like the Exige. I don't understand the repeated comparisons to the GT4...is it because of similar HP, similar price or similar release date?

It's not even on the Australian website yet? Not available in Australia yet?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.