free hit
counters
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 22 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Evora 400

They're much more accessible in the 400 as the grab handle is deleted.

R8 run out the LMX is £160k and people are buying them. Imagine if they spent just 10 mins in an Evora...

Good to hear Bibs. Really don't want to ask but does the 400 have cup holders? IMHO that's what a potential R8 owner would notice before driving the Evora!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've not driven an Evora until last week. I drove over to Hofmann's in my 991 deliberately to make the back to back comparison. To echo Dave's points I was not disappointed with the cabin feel and qua

Good news!! I just got a call from the dealer.  Lotus sends apologies all around for the confusion and will be building the vehicle exactly as my order specified.   The color is officially no longer

Middle of next week

Posted Images

I get your point Gravel, I guess we both want the same thing - a strong healthy Lotus company with a strong and healthy product line up of cars we want to, and indeed do, enjoy driving.

Have to admit, although the switches are awkward on the dash / centre console for the current Evora, people I've had in my car genuinely feel the love for the fact it is real metal and not plastic. They seem to love the fact that they believe it means the car was "engineered". But then same people have not tried to use the mirror switch on the door from Ford, too much for my short fat hands. hahahaha!

Agreed - I want Lotus to succeed too! If it weren't so bloody brilliant to drive the quirks wouldn't annoy me so much as I probably wouldn't have bought one!

I do like the machined metal look of the switches but IMHO they have to either be easy to see, or have a very good tactile feedback when pressed if you can't see them. To me they have missed out on both fronts.

I know a lot of this is fixed on the 400 but stuff like this gets mentioned in reviews that put people off arranging test drives!

I love the feel of the metal in the centre of the steering wheel - that IMHO is special in a good way! The Evora is a wonderfully engineered machine but as 99% of that is under the skin, IMHO the bits that you can see/hold/touch are crucial to the experience of owning or more importantly, wanting to own one.

Fact of the day - the steering wheel rim is magnesium to reduce weight and decrease rotational interia for better steering feedback undampened by excess mass.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Totally agree with all you wrote in the last post Gravel. And Bibs, that just shows the attention to detail Lotus can get to when they try  :)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Fact of the day - the steering wheel rim is magnesium to reduce weight and decrease rotational interia for better steering feedback undampened by excess mass.

Which is what I'll put on the insurance claim forms when I crash just by admiring attractive pedestrians ;)

Wasn't the old wheel magnesium?   Of was that just the centre / spokes ? 

I was reading the thread and was going to post up that the steering wheel was Magnesium when I read Bibs post so decided I couldn't remember the facts from Sumer 2009.  Too long ago!  I remember it being oft quoted then.

I have often wondered when stroking my steering wheels would I know the difference in feel to touch never mind the feedback aspect.  Considering cost of magnesium over some alloy and the difference in weight not being that much was it a worthwhile spend?  I guess it is a number of incremental steps that makes the overall sensations.

Going back to part of the previous discussion I wouldn't have a Feza to be used the way I do the Evora because having had unlimited access to a F355 back in the 90's it was a horrible experience more often than not taking it out for the negative attention it got.  I can take the Evora almost anywhere and it gets appreciated and smiles.  It will also be there undamaged on return.  The 355 got strange jerky hand signals and left in fear.  The Ferrari body shop was full of vandalised cars.  The back of Murray's or Willowbrae's lot looks like Lotus drivers are at least trying hard to drive the cars and not just look at them.  :unworthy:

• Like 2

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Lotus is not surviving on the small niche fans it currently has.  That is the problem. They need a little boost.

When I think of Lotus, and what the company stands for, I would expect them to be dominant in club racing.  (solo, autocross, Auto-X, whatever the orange cone parking lot racing is called in your region).

It is one of the main uses of the Elise/exige for sure.  But I recall a few years ago the #1 chamion car was not Lotus, it was of all things,....

an RX-8.

And the #2 car...  RX-8

#3  RX-8

#4  RX-8

#5  RX-8

#6  RX-8

#7  RX-8

#8  RX-8

#9  RX-8

#10 RX-8

This should be Lotus's domain in my opinion.  The quick controlled balanced handling needed to succeed in Auto-X should be Lotus's primary goal.  Not Mazda.   Just my 2 cents.

Chris Harris not really feeling the love

@harrismonkey: Jean-Marc Gales says the Evora 400 is 'a true supercar'. Bit worrying that the boss of a sportscar company doesn't know what a supercar is.

Black n gold

• Gold FFM

He's entitled to his own opinion but does not make him right  :2guns: A supercar compared to the Mclaren F1 of P1, of the Fezza FF, or any other post £250k machine may be not. But a super car, yes, the Evora 400 really is....

Lotus = british = low budget = not sexy to most car journo's. They need to suck up to the big boys to get early access to driver programmes etc as Lotus will sell a few pages/hits, but the next Lambo/Fezza/Macca etc will sell so much more.

But then, that is just my opinion and I might not be right.   :harhar:

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Lotus should promote the keep sake quality of their designs.  By making it light and with the just enough options, they are building something for the long haul.  By choosing a Toyota engine, they want the car on the road a long time...  Designing a driving an experience that will be enjoyed for many year and knowing you car out be "last year's model" or simply as 3 year status symbol...

None of the competitors promote their car as a long term investment and Lotus can distinguish itself as such. 

I think this is another thing Lotus needs to market...  At least here in the USA, Lotus does not have a reputation of reliablilty or longevity.  If the new models are truly long term..   Shout it from the mountain tops.

Haha.. That old "definition of a supercar" argument!

I love the Evora, but it isn't a supercar! as exotic feeling the Evora is, please let's not start chatting like they do on other car forums!

It's a very capable coupe that will out handle almost anything sub £80k..

When Lotus ditched IPS label and simply called it an auto (what other big manufactures are going back to to save costs) I really thought they were getting their act together.

Less pretentious BS "it's a supercar" and more focus on quality and core values please.

Let the car do the talking after a proper marketing campaign.

Chris Harris not really feeling the love

@harrismonkey: Jean-Marc Gales says the Evora 400 is 'a true supercar'. Bit worrying that the boss of a sportscar company doesn't know what a supercar is.

Maybe Lotus might be more popular if they had decent parts availability for their cars  :thumbdown:  Having had to wait ages for a new clutch to come into stock, I've just been told today I'm gonna have to wait another 4 weeks before I can get a new bumper :(   :thumbdown:

Kier,

Exactly the sort of thing the competition wouldn't do to a customer. Until this sort of rubbish is resolved they remain the eccentric, niche car maker only enthusiasts like you and me buy.

Sorry to hear about the further delay.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Damn Kier, you're so right. 3 week wait for cruise buttons when I bought car. Wanted barge boards, cash in wallet - on back order...

Drivers window actuator gone - 2 weeks and no sight of part!

You're right, Lotus really do need to sort this out and I would suggest it is ONLY the fact they have mostly great dealers who go the extra mile that keeps customers really happy.....

For what its worth, I do not feel my dealer here is very good at all.

They deal with all exotics and they seem like they could care less about Lotus.

I took my EspirtV8 in for some basic maintenance and they had it almost a month and never touched it.   :-/

I'm first on the list for a 400...  but I am concerned they will just forget about it entirely with all those Ferarri's , Lambo's and Aston's around.  *frowny face*

Edited by hyteck9
  • Gold FFM

Bill, i had to laugh at your post, but then I am getting slowly drunk in Warsaw! I don't think 3 weeks to get a part is good, 3 days then yes...

but please forgive my tipsy state the beer is cold and the Wodka colder....

Indeed, a 3 week wait for a part isn't a great defence.  I could understand with more unusual parts and i understand that keeping massive stockpiles of all parts would take up space, but I mean 4 weeks wait for a front bumper, really?  It's not a stretch of the imagination to think that bumpers will get pranged so have a few stocked up ready!!

Do they wait for parts to be requested and then make them to order?  

My car went in mid February, that's 3 months already I've gone without it.  Now another 4 weeks until they get a bumper.   I love Lotus, this is my 3rd, but this is exactly the sort of problem I wouldn't be getting if I had a porker.  I'm so frustrated, I'm supposed to be going down to LeMans in a few weeks   :( :(

Most (eg 95%+) of parts are in stock but some suppliers are slower than others to fulfil their orders. It's not always lotus's fault (although sometimes it is!)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

To come back to topic: when Chris Harris complains about the "Title" of the Evora I just want to say that I do not want a supercar as my daily business car - therefore I drive the Evora! As if the classification of the car is important............silly.......and as if anybody might thinking that the classification of CH is important to a petrolhead.........even more silly

He was probably told to by his bosses in Stuttgart!

• Like 1

Evora NA