free hit
counters
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 23 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Evora 400

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've not driven an Evora until last week. I drove over to Hofmann's in my 991 deliberately to make the back to back comparison. To echo Dave's points I was not disappointed with the cabin feel and qua

Good news!! I just got a call from the dealer.  Lotus sends apologies all around for the confusion and will be building the vehicle exactly as my order specified.   The color is officially no longer

Middle of next week

Posted Images

I am anticipating positive reviews on the 400 once in the press' hands.  This isn't "a new" car of unknown virtue.  This is a revised car of an already high pedigree.  Lotus took to heart all the critiques with a car and checked every box IMO.  What isn't there to love?

• Like 1

It did win 5 car of the year awards at launch...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Why can't they translate that into worldwide car sales?

(Yes, I know I am not helping as I can't buy one)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

That Chris Harris comment shows how dim the little runt is. The Evora 400 is a 400 bhp mid-engined 2 or 2+2 that will match an Exige S round a track. All for <£80k. Just because other manufacturers charge double for that level of performance doesn't mean that their cars are supercars and Lotus' are not. 99% of the public would call the Evora 400 a supercar. Only CH would not. Why pick up on that particular JMG quote and make the jibe anyway? Things not going so well for CH after Pistonheads maybe? Hoping for cheap publicity now.

At the recent factory tour I went to, the 400bhp was explained as "needing to be in excess of 390bhp to qualify as a Supercar".  I'll be honest, this surprised me a little.  Most "supercars" seem to qualify for the moniker by being something indefinable, that the collective seems to see as "special".  To me at least, this collective decision is largely more important than the opinion of an individual.  

The car is not even launched yet, and still people are defining, pigeon-holing and effectively reviewing it.

Personally, I'll wait and see.

When are we likely to see some new pics and vids?

Im going mental here Bernard waiting to see!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

It's a superb looking, semi practical luxury sports car in my eyes. The power and performance fall in to sports car category for me. A 911 is not a super car any more than the 400 is. Super cars are 600+ bhp now and look very exotic.

There is nothing wrong with the 400 not being a super car at all I just don't think it is.

Stu

Could there be anything less important than the definition of a 'supercar'?

Whether the Evora is a supercar or exotic car or any other type of car has no effect whatsoever on what it's like to drive! I've no idea what Chris Harris's issue is with the Evora but of all his swipes at it, this has to be the most pathetic yet.

When are we likely to see some new pics and vids?

Im going mental here Bernard waiting to see!

Buddsy

Couldn't agree more.  This is a great opportunity for Lotus to ramp up some hype - mystified as to why they're not...

Lotus don’t do hype, that’s the sort of thing Porsche do. Lotus sales are up, cars improving, quality improving, all without hype. Hype will tell you a Cayman GT4 is the best Cayman, but is it really? As a road car (forget any track shenanigans) is it really better than a Cayman GTS with PDK? Now that’s a twin test I would like to see, aint never going to happen though, we all know that.

People have a right to an opinion, they have a right to pre judge the 400, and that includes Chris Harris. But once the car is out, and if its anywhere near as good as we all hope it will be, then he and everybody else will have to eat humble pie. The Performance and ability of the car will judge it, not stats on a piece of paper, or a ring time for that mater.

The Topgear web site has a comparison between a GT4 and an Evora 400!!!! wow. One car isn't out yet and the other is sold out, great idea that one.

Edited by atlasapl
  • Like 1

Sorry, but without Hype - there is no marketing. Certainly in the sports car market - at least outside traditional brand loyalists.  In-organic growth of markets is only achieved by attracting people away from what they would normally look at.  Are you saying there shouldn't be any marketing?  

I'm not necessarily condoning it.  Hype, that is.  But if this car is as good as Lotus claim it to be and we all want it to be, then this needs to be a very hyped and noisy campaign.  No amount of looking down our noses at other marques will change this.  Lotus have ambitious plans and need this car to be a success.

It's a superb looking, semi practical luxury sports car in my eyes. The power and performance fall in to sports car category for me. A 911 is not a super car any more than the 400 is. Super cars are 600+ bhp now and look very exotic.

There is nothing wrong with the 400 not being a super car at all I just don't think it is.

Stu

How you define a supercar is interesting. In my opinion a supercar is defined in two ways:-

1)   You produce a car with a ridiculous amount of horsepower and then sell it for squidlians of pounds.

2)   The Marque and its heritage dictate if it’s a supercar or not.

Some people would consider a Ferrari F360 to be a supercar, it has 400hp. Is it the power, or the fact it’s a Ferrari that make it a supercar. Whether you like it or not, it’s a damned site better than my diesel Audi.

Sorry, but without Hype - there is no marketing. Certainly in the sports car market - at least outside traditional brand loyalists.  In-organic growth of markets is only achieved by attracting people away from what they would normally look at.  Are you saying there shouldn't be any marketing?  

I'm not necessarily condoning it.  Hype, that is.  But if this car is as good as Lotus claim it to be and we all want it to be, then this needs to be a very hyped and noisy campaign.  No amount of looking down our noses at other marques will change this.  Lotus have ambitious plans and need this car to be a success.

Dam my internet connection is pissing me off today...

I am not talking about marketing, I am talking about hype. They are two different things.

Marketing is announcing you have a new Porsche Cayman coming out, a GT4. You show pictures and list its price and specs etc. Hype is when you try and make it out to be a 911 GT3, a GT3 for people who can't afford a GT3. You then produce so few of them that people can't buy it, hoping they will buy the 'lesser' GTS instead.

Edited by atlasapl

I am not talking about marketing, I am talking about hype. They are two different things.

Marketing is announcing you have a new Porsche Cayman coming out, a GT4. You show pictures and list its price and specs etc. Hype is when you try and make it out to be a 911 GT3, a GT3 for people who can't afford a GT3.

Well, opinions on this will vary, neither necessarily being definitively correct.  To my (muddled, maybe) mind, marketing needs to build on the announcements you mention above to build on the excitement generated by the announcement.

It is true that "Hype" can be viewed negatively, but having people rave, talk or express desire is very much where the hype of a new car delivers above and beyond pure statements of the facts.

There I will definitely agree.  

As awesome as the GT4 is, it did not differentiate itself sufficiently to justify the price premium and to be fair, it wasn't a realistic proposition for an everyday car.  

Aston have learnt this to their cost with their track optimised road cars too.

If I'm brutally honest with myself, my thoughts run as follows:

1. I've wanted a Lotus since I was six

2. I'm emotionally invested with the brand

3. They currently have a line up that really does offer them the opportunity to make a real step change in their profile and global presence

4. Having finally reached the point in my life (43) where I can afford one, I am now even more invested

5. Everyone who rides in the car (and I have been almost embarrassed by the number of requests from friends, colleagues and family) has been bowled over by the car (this is not me saying that I own the most fantastic example of a modern Lotus) to the extent that they have almost without fail commented on the almost non-existent news, noise or awareness of the current Lotus cars

6. I am proud to be different - and so should Lotus be 

7. But, and here's the rub, outside of our community - Lotus is just not really on peoples radar, outside of the occasional article.  And in my heart of hearts, I wish to god that it were - because people are missing out!

The 400 looks to be a great opportunity for Lotus.  Unless they change the way they market the car though, it will be just seen as the next iteration and will pass by with minimal comment or excitement.

• Like 1

I am not sure whether this is relevant, but I hear you all talking about marketing etc. In Australia, I have only seen ads for Holden and Nissan that I can recall. And of those ads, they are only for run of the mill cars.

I cannot recall an ad on tv over here for ANY exotic car.

Where do you guys get all this marketing or hype for any car from?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Before this goes too far off track:

None of the Sports cars get advertised on TV here either.  I'm not necessarily talking about print either (although Porker do a lot of advertisements in the like of EVO etc).

By marketing, I'm talking about getting the car talked about and made to be a "presence".  Putting it out there and getting it seen, driven etc.

Back on topic, I am probably in a minority when I say with all honesty, that I am blown away by what Lotus is going for with the 400.  It looks the part, and if the formula holds true, it will drive the part too.  I'm unlikely to be unable to afford a new one, but it has changed my view on how long I will be keeping my current car.

Where do you guys get all this marketing or hype for any car from?

From the internet and/or car magazines primarily.

I'm sure that you will start to receive both in Australia at some point...

• Gold FFM

I'm really excited too by the 400, and probably unlikely to buy a new one - but I will buy one!

As for marketing / hype etc. As a community, there is something we can all, as current Lotus owners and forum members, do to  positively HELP Lotus.  Get out there on Facebook (if you have it, I loathe it and don't) and on Twitter. Us the hashtags Lotus; Evora; 400 etc and start talking about your current car, what you do with it, how it drives, what reaction you get, how it makes you smile. Damn, go mad and even post pictures on social media of your car (especially an Evora parked next to a Fezza 360 or 4300 as people will see just how ordinary the Fezza's look next to the Evora - there is said picture on this forum somewhere!).

As owners, advocates, drivers, lovers and supporters of the marque and cars, we can actually make a huge difference in getting the message out there, generating the hype and helping Lotus, at no cost to themselves, to sell  more more cars and then have the cash to invest in even more and better cars. Get your POSITIVE messages out there and watch the marque come alive...

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Could there be anything less important than the definition of a 'supercar'?

Whether the Evora is a supercar or exotic car or any other type of car has no effect whatsoever on what it's like to drive! I've no idea what Chris Harris's issue is with the Evora but of all his swipes at it, this has to be the most pathetic yet.

I agree but sadly the motoring world care and it almost adds value to a car by having it denoted as a super car.

Stu

By marketing, I'm talking about getting the car talked about and made to be a "presence".  Putting it out there and getting it seen, driven etc.

[marketing geek]

Marketing is the creation of a product that fulfils a customer need.  it isn't just selling or advertising as it's all about working out where the product will fit in the market before you make one. 

What you are talking about here is promotion.    Hype is one part of a promotion strategy and i think Lotus have done a better job than in recent years with the 400.  Although somewhat ironically the campaign that bahar did at the launch of the evora was actually really good......

No my dad hasn't seen an advert but that doens't matter.  The early adopters, the ones who'd actually buy one before it goes on Top Gear are interested enough to generate long threads about it. 

My 2p is that they are exactly where they need to be right now.  The car isn't in the showroom until August so any activity now would be wasted as you can't go and buy one.   Come mid July they will be all over the mags and that will be good. 

Lotus WILL NEVER be porsche though.  Low volume hand built will always throw up more quirks than many would wish to put up with.  Many on this forum and others put up with the quirks as the car is worth it to us. Not everyone will feel the same.  Slow, organic growth is what Gales is after and that's exactly what he's getting. 

[/marketing geek]

A couple of points :

They've not updated the website, on the day of announcing the pricing the website configurator should reflect the announcment , casual or enthusiasts would would then be able to entertain themselves having a play. As to the configurator itself thats a different issue. 

Any price announcement should have additional photograph, video or visual reference to the announcement. Editors are always looking for material and Lotus should be supplying.

Lotus PR need a kick, Bibs nudge Mr Florence :)

Black n gold