free hit
counters
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 25 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Evora 400

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've not driven an Evora until last week. I drove over to Hofmann's in my 991 deliberately to make the back to back comparison. To echo Dave's points I was not disappointed with the cabin feel and qua

Good news!! I just got a call from the dealer.  Lotus sends apologies all around for the confusion and will be building the vehicle exactly as my order specified.   The color is officially no longer

Middle of next week

Posted Images

Same here!  It doesn't make sense for me to replace my Evora until 2017 unless the a dealer gives me a great trade-in and there's some kind of discount on the new car.

Well I won't!

Simply because I still prefer the Evora GTE coming to me next month.  :unworthy:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Who needs an Evora when they have an Excel......(me).

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Who needs an Evora when they have an Excel......(me).

I always liked the Excel, never got round to getting one though.

I was skint back then as well.  :no

My second hand Renault Fuego 1.6 served me well. Tanking down the M180 at 120mph with everything shaking, me included. When your young and insane. 

Edited by atlasapl

Religious people often talk of faith...Living your life in a certain way as you hope you will be rewarded...Well I think on present form faith in Lotus is a much more tangible faith to believe in.

Fast cars, loud music, cheap....ok lets not go there!

Buddsy

• Gold FFM

Only 20 years to go and one of these will be on the drive

Clocks counting.......

Only here once

From the ad...

"the Evora 400; a true supercar with unrivalled handling and performance"

Fighting talk...

I'm obviously a huge fan but this sort of statement makes me worry because if the car isnt flawless in every way and laps faster than anything sub £80k they will get a slating after making a statement like that.

Truely hope the transmission and "niggles" have been sorted... It's a very important car all of a sudden!

Annoying that they have released prices but you wouldn't know it from the 'non configurable' car configurator!  You can't even see what colours of car are available never mind what they would look like on one.  A bit of a poor show when so much is now popping up in PH, other mags, websites and places.  The next natural step for any petrol head after reading an article is to go configure their unachievable dream isn't it?  How many times I've configured R8's, Porkers, F types, Lambo's I don't know.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

I'm obviously a huge fan but this sort of statement makes me worry because if the car isnt flawless in every way and laps faster than anything sub £80k they will get a slating after making a statement like that.

Thats true, but then again Porsche made a huge fuss over there 918 Spider ring time. Then Lamborghini turned up with the new Aventador SV, and with only a 15 minute window got to within 2 seconds of it.

Ring times.  As fascinated as the next petrol head when it comes to the green hell, I can't help feeling that it's somehow become the be all and end all of a car's status.  And not in a good way.

Back on topic, I've registered my interest in the 400 and have been told by a marketing follow up that after the Motor Expo, the Press should be getting cars 5-9 July, and then the demonstrators will be in dealerships the first few weeks of August.

I was actually quite impressed to get an e-mail from a human being who has entered in to a dialogue with me :)

Annoying that they have released prices but you wouldn't know it from the 'non configurable' car configurator! You can't even see what colours of car are available never mind what they would look like on one. A bit of a poor show when so much is now popping up in PH, other mags, websites and places. The next natural step for any petrol head after reading an article is to go configure their unachievable dream isn't it? How many times I've configured R8's, Porkers, F types, Lambo's I don't know.

I hadn't tried yet but am shocked that you can't go onto the main web page and configure one... Oh well, good luck with the order book Lotus!

JMG needs to get his team to understand the way people research and buy cars these days. YouTube would be a good start. I remember watching the F-Type ad on there before it was released. Apart from TLF and MMC's webpage, I've always found Lotus websites very user unfriendly

• Like 1

They are working on it. The website has undergone skin refresh but there's a lot of info out there that hasn't made its way to the new website template. The configurator is coming but it's new to Lotus and I expect quite a few hiccups with it. Regardless not updating pricing info on the Evora pages and the homepage is shameful, it's a 1" fix in the webpage editor and about 4' minutes of email exchanges and confirmation between marketing, sales and the webmasters. Lotus Evora range - prices from £72,000

Ring times.  As fascinated as the next petrol head when it comes to the green hell, I can't help feeling that it's somehow become the be all and end all of a car's status.  And not in a good way.

why not?

i love the idea of manufacturers having to compete on the same stretch of road/track.... 

you have to be in it to win it. if you feel your product is good enough you will stick up a time ... or alternatively chicken out...

look at the Aventador SV's time, what a magnificent result for  petrol heads who couldn't give a toss about electric hybrids, silent motors, turbos and batteries... alternatively ferrari felt their LaF product probably wasnt in the running lol :) 

lets see how JMG's fastest thing on track sub £100k does against the benchmarks.... 

Just two constraints :

• There is no "official" ring time because there are neither defined specs nor is there an official timing at the ring (except for race events). 
  • The ring requires an optimized setup that is rarely suited to general driving or even other tracks.

But,  I agree, it is much better than nothing. And the 311 should do very well. 

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I'm not saying that the ring times aren't fascinating, but that they seem to have become overly important.

Yes, they're a good yardstick, but as stated above they're in optimal conditions / Setup.

I read as many magazines, forums and opinions as the next person, and they will influence my interest and opinion, but only driving a car will let me know what is really like.

If we went with the consensus outside of these and other Lotus forums, we'd all be driving 911s or Caymans (apologies, but the popular wisdom is this, however unfounded or annoying it is) within the budgets we have. The Aventador is an incredible machine but, unless my circumstances significantly change, one I'll never own.

It's purely my own (possibly antagonistic) opinion that the ring has started to be the only yardstick that a car's greatness is measured by.

Back on topic:

Who else has registered interest on the Lotus website and is seriously considering a test drive?

I would love to take one for a test drive, but it would only result in pissing me off as hand on heart,  I don't have the funds to buy one. If things go OK work wise, I may have enough for a V8 Mustang, but that is a lot cheaper than a 400. Uncouth a V8 Mustang maybe, but its a car that is within my reach, just.

• Gold FFM

No test drive for me either I'm afraid. I'm only just 5 weeks into Lotus ownership and my current Evora NA is getting fettled and shown some TLC (Scarlett is getting some nice shiny gloss black fook me boots put on today).

I rarely buy a new car, so splashing out £75k plus on a 400 is not for me - however, if I could get a GTE for £50k in a couple of years (not at all likely by the way) or an Evora 400 for £50-55k in 2 years then that would be my route to ownership.

Thinking of going racing next year, so that will make a dent in the bank deposits...

Re the 'Ring - a couple of points on here have hit the nail on the head for me. Cars are setup and in some cases developed "specifically" to do well at the 'Ring but that does not often translate well into a well balanced car for real roads. Even with the 'Ring there are just too many variables for a real "apples to apples" comparison and you can't always guarantee the car that set those mesmerising times is the car you get to drive. Chris Harris (sorry to swear in public) had an interesting blog rant about Ferrari and how they specifically deliver a car for the "track" the Journo's are using and spend a few days before hand setting the car up for a track. Apparently, according to Chris they hate and try to ban Journo's from using REAL customers cars as the experience is just too far removed from the test mule they present.

'Ring times, magazine articles, manufacturers websites and other things - including user forums like this one - are all they to provide a generally biased view, but thankfully we have the freedom to take all the information provided and make our own decisions based on our own critiera. Otherwise, as the previous poster said, "we'd all be driving Caymans".

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

So, if I'm honest - and I will be with the Dealer - this is not a buy now test drive.  I'm lucky that Chris at Westway is a genuine enthusiast (in my experience) and knows that he will be "bedding in" a future customer if the 400 turns out to be the belter it's shaping up to be.

When he supplied my current car he suggested that most of his customers were "two year" owners.  That might not be us all on here... but I can see his logic.  

I have oscillated massively over certain aspects of the 400s look and I think will only know for sure when I see the damn thing in the plastic.  For now - I'm smitten. 

I don't really understand the 'fastest thing under 100K' sales pitch - surely the Evora 400 will only hold that for a few months until the Exige 400 appears?

not to be a party pooper but i dont think it will ever hold that record apart from round Hethel ! it was a silly thing to say... but wild statements seem to be the way they want to do things at the moment.

according to lotus its as quick as a v6s ... theres plenty of quicker stuff out there sub £100k already, the gheyman gts matches the exige v6 on the ring, the gt4 will shave a load off that again. 

I'm not saying that the ring times aren't fascinating, but that they seem to have become overly important.

I have grown very found of the ring and it's yardstick laptimes. I hope to one day make it across the pond and drive the ring. I have spent many hours memorizing the track.

That said, the reason I think it 'matters' so much is because of what it requireS. Consistent perfection. Braking, suspension, acceleration, driver confidence and reliability more so than anywhere else. A car can be setup for a short track with amazing advantages. The ring insists you must be good at everything... and do it without overheating. something that the new z06 corvette can't seem to get right even on a short track.

If you debated a 1/4 time from the drag strip doesn't tell you much about a car, I would completely agree. But the ring? It will quickly hand you your hat (in the form of a list of things your car isn't competent in doing.)

• Like 1