free hit
counters
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 8 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Evora 400

I couldn’t disagree more. The fact your porker started at £53K and ended up at £70K says an awful lot about Porsche. The real point is you spent £70K on a Boxter. Which let us remind our selves was originally going to be the ‘cheap Porsche’ when it was first conceived. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a great car and a rarity. Porsches strategy is based purely on expecting the average customer to go potty with the options list. Why on earth would the sport chrono package be optional on most Porsche’s, knowing that pretty much every customers will want it. Does that not just do what other cars race mode does?

Why would I want Lotus to lower their price and strip out the options, only to end up back at the same point after putting all the options back in it? If I ever get the cash to get the Evora 400 I wont need any options beyond what comes as standard, wheels and trim choices aside.

You said they should compete with Boxters and not 911’s. Well considering your Boxter cost £70K; I would say they already do.

EDIT

Sorry, forgot to quote you Koorby.

Edited by atlasapl

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've not driven an Evora until last week. I drove over to Hofmann's in my 991 deliberately to make the back to back comparison. To echo Dave's points I was not disappointed with the cabin feel and qua

Good news!! I just got a call from the dealer.  Lotus sends apologies all around for the confusion and will be building the vehicle exactly as my order specified.   The color is officially no longer

Middle of next week

Posted Images

Perhaps koorby will correct me but I think his point was that the Porsche marketing the Boxster stripped out is what attracts buyers and is a successful ploy as the car looks cheap compared to an Evora therefore getting buyers deciding that the car is for them and then hitting the options. Can't argue with the success of that strategy.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

The downside was that even with the air box replaced with a Radium CAI and a titanium factory exhaust it sounded aenemic except at full bottle induction. I would often be told at Lotus club drives by Elise/Exige owner that they could not hear the Evora at all.

For me, the theatre of the engine and exhaust noise is about 50% of a sports car's appeal. This is why Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari and Jaguar spend so much money on noise engineering their exhausts.

. I just hope Hethel spent some R&D money on making the bugger sound LOUD and fun, GTS or F-Type style. The solution for me though is to buy the Evora in 12-24 months time and have them both in the garage so I have both a convertible and coupe. I may be able to grab a low-mileage one by then.

They already addressed this fairly well as far as I'm concerned. I had a 2010 n/a and had the same experience as you. When I ordered my 2014 S I was so close to ordering the Motorsport exhaust, but figured I would hold off until I had a chance to see how the stock exhaust was on the new car. Absolute night and day difference. The 2014 starts with an aggressive growl and sounds mean all the way through the power band. My friend who was a visiting professor for a semester drives a 997 back in the US. He couldn't stop talking about the way my car sounds. Said he could always hear it coming on campus well before I arrived.

I hesitate to link this video only because it doesn't begin to capture the volume and quality of the sound. But I know if you had an older Evora you'll know the difference.

http://youtu.be/z3MpMBIaPyI

Edited by ByJoveByJingle

I still think it's cool that essentially an MJK design, on a comparitively shoetring budget, is still circulating.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Perhaps koorby will correct me but I think his point was that the Porsche marketing the Boxster stripped out is what attracts buyers and is a successful ploy as the car looks cheap compared to an Evora therefore getting buyers deciding that the car is for them and then hitting the options. Can't argue with the success of that strategy.

Trevor.

Possibly so, but if that is the real strategy then all your going to do is turn some people off. People will go into a dealer thinking they have budgeted for a great car, only to then realise the basic spec is pretty poor. This will not put off a regular Porsche buyer, but a new prospective buyer may be.

Even the GTS models skimp on kit. They may have all the sportier options as standard, but if you want to use the car everyday and all year round, you will still need to fork out an extra lump of cash. That’s where the strategy can backfire, as a new prospective buyer may feel a little misled.

I appreciate everyone has differing opinions on this, but I don’t see why the Evora should follow the Porsche strategy and be stripped out of most of its options just to lower the base price. If the Lotus guys get their marketing right, they need not worry about the base price of a Boxter/Cayman.

I couldn’t disagree more. The fact your porker started at £53K and ended up at £70K says an awful lot about Porsche. The real point is you spent £70K on a Boxter. Which let us remind our selves was originally going to be the ‘cheap Porsche’ when it was first conceived. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a great car and a rarity. Porsches strategy is based purely on expecting the average customer to go potty with the options list. Why on earth would the sport chrono package be optional on most Porsche’s, knowing that pretty much every customers will want it. Does that not just do what other cars race mode does?

Why would I want Lotus to lower their price and strip out the options, only to end up back at the same point after putting all the options back in it? If I ever get the cash to get the Evora 400 I wont need any options beyond what comes as standard, wheels and trim choices aside.

You said they should compete with Boxters and not 911’s. Well considering your Boxter cost £70K; I would say they already do.

EDIT

Sorry, forgot to quote you Koorby.

Couldn't agree more! One of the attractions is that EVERYTHING is not an option and the options pack is clear and the base model comes with a decent spec.

Trevor.

That's precisely what I meant. You can get into a base 2.7 Boxster in the £30k range. That price point lures buyers into showrooms, never mind that hardly anyone buys the 'poverty pack' version. The point I was trying to get across was that Lotus positioned the Evora badly back in 2008 when it was marketed as a 911 competitor. When I bought my 2012 Evora I was test driving Boxsters and Merc SLK - the 911 was out of my reach. So for half the cost of a 911 I was in an Evora, job done!

Now they are making the same mistake again, pitching it against a Carrera S, purely on it being a 2+2, 0-62 times, HP and kerb weight. Wrong strategy.

Potential Evora buyers are looking at Jaguar F-Type, Boxster, Cayman etc. Chris Harris had a point about the GT4, even though he was a twat for jumping to conclusions before driving the 400.

Regardless, I love this new Evora 400, it's truly lustworthy and I want one! I will aquire one for sure, but likely second hand and it will compliment my roadster, not replace it. Make mine grey (unless they bring back Storm Titanium)

Edited by koorby

Thankfully Porsche is making it easier for Lotus to find their target model. In the past the Evora was just too cheap to be considered a competitor for the 911.  If you've got 100 K to spend on your car, most potential buyers would not consider a car for 85 K.

On the other hand the Cayman/Boxster was equally much lower priced than the Evora. 

With the GT4 now priced similar to the Evora the target audience is clearer.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

But the Evora is a cheaper alternative to the 911. That's the whole point, a British built 911 with Lotus chassis dynamics for the price of a Cayman. On paper that's a winning formula. You can't blame the more fair and honest pricing strategy for slow Evora sales, there are a million other reasons why 911s outsell Evoras.

The pricing is one of the things where Porsche really push their customers out of their comfort zone. It's great for Porsche profits but there is no benefit to the buyer. Chris Harris and the other journalists continually help Porsche by quoting the base cost of course, those who've specced up a GT4 here know what they really cost and it ain't £65k. Turns out there's nothing in it between the GT4 and the Evora 400. In a more objective world the Evora offers more seats, more power, much better suspension and night-and-day better steering for the same price. That's a good deal that the buyers aren't getting and it's mostly to do with notions of status and brand image.

A Lotus says you're a masochistic car nerd. A Porsche says you've 'made it'. It's a status symbol and a display of wealth and success.  For hard working, self-made people that's very important. A £70k Lotus can't give you that, no matter how much better value it is than the equivalent Porsche.

A Lotus says you're a masochistic car nerd. A Porsche says you've 'made it'. It's a status symbol and a display of wealth and success. For hard working, self-made people that's very important. A £70k Lotus can't give you that, no matter how much better value it is than the equivalent Porsche.

Seriously... A 70k evora doesn't say 'you have made it'?!?!

I really don't understand the issue people have here. This is not a stripped out excige of Elise, this IS a 911 competitor and for me the badge is every bit as desirable. I only hope more people start to see things differently. A Porsche to me is, well done you bought the same tub as all the other folk with similar money and it is just as bland. For me the brand is devalued a bit by the sheer volume of the cars I see.

For me a badge takes you so far but buying a car at this price point is so much more than the badge on the car.

Edited by Stuno1

At the end of the day we are all nerds and posers lets face it. It doesn’t matter if we drive a Lotus, Porsche, F-type, Aston etc, we all think our car is better than the guy in the next lane. If I am lucky enough to get a 400 one day, I sure as shit will have a yellow one and drive it everywhere with the hooligan button pressed. Yes, I spied the button pretty quickly. My dad has an F-Type V8R and never goes anywhere without it on.

For me a badge takes you so far but buying a car at this price point is so much more than the badge on the car.

I agree slightly, as you do see 911's quite a lot. But it doesnt detract from it being a great car. you can see why people buy it, no matter what the final cost is.

For me the Lotus badge is immeasurably more desirable than the Porsche badge, to the point that, I don't think I could ever own a Porsche. There's something very obnoxious about the whole brand and some of the owners too. With a Lotus it's more about 'how fast is it' than 'how much is it'. A Lotus is what you drive when all you care about is driving.

I was referring to how the wider world sees it - which is what posers are interested in. Lotus looks like an expensive car to most people obviously, but most people haven't even heard of a Lotus Evora. It's just some 'cool car' they haven't seen before. Whereas a Porsche 911 is something many people aspire to own. Along with a Rolex and flying first class, it's a status symbol. That makes it very hard to compete with for a company associated with small, light track cars using shoddy, low-rent showrooms and a feeble attempt at an online car configurator!

• Like 1

I guess it a bit of a poison chalice isn’t it; just how far do you push sale figures before you start to dilute the brand. The history and heritage behind Lotus is part of the reason I have always wanted one. The fact you don’t see many is a factor for me as well.

But flying first class, I wouldnt mind a bit of that. :)

Edited by atlasapl

Id buy a Porsche if I want to go 'posing' down at the gold club...telling my mate how great I am.....(a stereo typical but I have seen a good number of 911 owners to which it applies)

I bought a Lotus because they are understated and designed to make you enjoy your driving experience.......

there are those who like Porsche.....then there are those who deem it to be the pinnacle......

each to their own its just not for me

my mate has had many (and still has one 911c4s).......and having been in them....erm......Ive never been that impressed with them TBH........

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

That makes it very hard to compete with for a company associated with small, light track cars using shoddy, low-rent showrooms and a feeble attempt at an online car configurator!

I hope they dont improve the configurator, I will never get off the damned thing.

• Like 1

Id buy a Porsche if I want to go 'posing' down at the gold club...telling my mate how great I am.....(a stereo typical but I have seen a good number of 911 owners to which it applies)

I bought a Lotus because they are understated and designed to make you enjoy your driving experience.......

there are those who like Porsche.....then there are those who deem it to be the pinnacle......

each to their own its just not for me

my mate has had many (and still has one 911c4s).......and having been in them....erm......Ive never been that impressed with them TBH........

Guess which of the two is willing to pay more for their car? 

But, from a different perspective the key challenge for Lotus is still getting the car in front of the face of potential buyers. A return to Geneva is fine, but the growth (in numbers and quality) of the dealer network is much more important.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

A Lotus says you're a masochistic car nerd. A Porsche says you've 'made it'. It's a status symbol and a display of wealth and success.  For hard working, self-made people that's very important. A £70k Lotus can't give you that, no matter how much better value it is than the equivalent Porsche.

THIS. 

Although while this might describe many of us, maintaining this particular image is essentially synonymous with Lotus teetering on the brink of ruin. 

I think they might as well try a "Poverty Pack" Evora - why not, fix prices a margin below the Porker regardless of pack, and see if the journalist world responds to it.

I've personally never bought a car new, let alone ordered one tailored to my needs (I'm a sound & vibrations engineer, and thus unlikely ever to be in a position to do this financially) but my impression has always been: There's a theoretical base model, but nobody ever buys it, because dealers always purchase specced out cars and sell them at a similar price point. I.e. you end up picking from dealer stock. Hence, the poverty pack can only be a plus for Lotus whichever way you spin it. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

It would be hypocritical of me if I didn’t agree with this. I have been saying this to friends for years with regards to the Aston Martin Vantage. Why the hell put a V12 in it, put a V6 in it instead, strip the spec out and price it below a base 911, then make the V8 better. After all, the 911 doesnt need a V12.

Well, much as I like the Evora 400 the price point is too rich for me but a loyalty bonus and 50/50 finance has me trading in my 2010 NA for one of the last new Evora NAs available, this weekend. I didnt even need the man maths calculator to convince the other half as it is so good a deal.

I hope there is a lower price/ power/ spec version of the new car available in the future but if there isnt at least I have the newest 'old' car I can. Excited- much !! 

Re pricing model from Porsche starting low with lots of extras, it's not much different than BMW Mini's where you used to have to pay for a CD player when I bought my wife's first car. Point is though, both manufacturers have done extremely well out of this commercial model.

Interestingly enough re the Cayman GT4 when I checked the spec, the only option I would have chosen is cruise control, to help keep your license ;)

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Due to being a bit of an old fart, I would want heated seats as well thank you very much.  :)  Considering the GT4 is the new halo performance model of the Cayman line, would you not want the sport chrono package as well? Strange how it isnt standard though. It is on the GTS model which sits below it.

Great time to buy an Evora, congrats J2lot. 

I've seen some new Evora S's for sale at £60k, for fans of the the current styling, that's a great deal.