free hit
counters
Exige LF1 - What do I need to know? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TheDeadPrussian

Exige LF1 - What do I need to know?

So I’ve bought the Exige LF1 at Westover Sports Cars in Poole. I’ll be picking it up in mid-March.

The car is #10 – Jim Clark – Zandvoort – 1963 (it’s also now on the registry page).

What do I need to do with it? Are there any recommended modifications right out of the box – for instance do I need to change fixings and bolts for aircraft grade stuff? Is there anything I should know about the running in procedure? Does anyone have any recommendations for modifications that make the car more responsive or useable for instance?

The car is for mainly enjoyable fast road use, trips to Le Mans and Alpine tours etc – it may be tracked occasionally, but not to its limits – I’ll hire a Caterham for that! I don’t want to compromise road use with an overly track-focused geo for instance.

So excited about the car already – I have been a serial Porsche owner and this is my first foray in to lotus ownership…

Thank you in advance for the advice and assistance.

Mark

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

First of all, congratulations on buying a magnificent car!

I would just drive the thing for a couple of thousand miles first and then decide whether you think anything needs 'upgrading' - that's what I'm doing. The car is pretty special right out of the box.

Running in is documented in the hand book, but basically the first service is between 1000 and 1500 miles. Up to then, stick below 4000rpm for the first 600 miles (with occasional higher rpm) and up it a bit after that until the 1st service is done. It's not the hard ship you may think, as the car is very torquey, so genuinely rapid even sticking to the schedule.

I was paranoid about running mine through the winter (wet, mud, salt etc..) but at the end of the day it's a car to be enjoyed and I want to get that 1st service out of the way asap!!

• Like 2

Just had a quick read about the Pro-Alloy 60 litre fuel tank over on SELOC (apologies if the mention of SELOC offends!) - is this worth doing in everyone's opinion?

Warranty and insurance implications?

Congrats on the purchase. I've seen your LF1 a good few times in the last few months in the process of buying my V6 and latterly completing the running in service over the weekend just gone. Stunning car.

As Neal says, get used to the car for the first couple thousand miles and see how you get on. There is nothing that is screaming for an upgrade from the factory, unless you do a lot of night driving and find the standard dipped beams as infuriating as I do.

Specific wording regarding the running-in procedure is as follows:

"

For the first 600 miles use no more than moderate throttle openings (about half of the available accelerator pedal travel) and do not run the engine continuously at engine speeds over 4000 rpm.

Occasional short bursts at wider throttle and higher engine speed will be beneficial, as will a constantly changing cruising speed and making full use of the gearbox. Do not allow the engine to labour in too high a gear ratio.

After 600 miles have been covered, full throttle and or maximum engine speed may be used for short periods, but do not attempt to exploit full vehicle performance until the After sales service has been carried out.

The aftersales service can be carried out between 1000 and 1500 miles."

As said, this is really not difficult to adhere to as the performance is accessible from low down in the rev range.

Again with the fuel tank, see how you get on with your usage. The one time I've tried getting maximum mileage from a full standard tank, it lasted 217 miles from mixed use (not track though!)

• Like 1

Warranty and insurance implications?

I understand that once in place, it would be difficult to tell that the fuel tank had been replaced. If something went wrong they'd have to prove it was directly related to the fuel tank replacement to deny a warranty claim.

Insurance is a good call though...any excuse.

I think the 'drive it and see what you think' approach is probably the most sensible option. Has anyone replaced bolts and fasteners for higher grade stuff? I am particularly thinking about the undertrays etc.

Not aware of anyone who has done so, I don't think there is a specific need, certainly not for aircraft grade.

• Like 1

Good thread, I've just seen my car is ready to leave Hethel. I'd like to know what protection should be done to the exposed things such as suspension, wishbones, nuts and bolts etc etc to keep them from rusting up.

Oh and congrats on the LF1, lovely cars!

• Like 1

Great news, Tony!

In pre-V6 days, wishbones were the main culprit for this sort of thing, but now the Exige sports rather sweet looking alloy wishbones as per the Evora, this shouldn't be an issue. I guess you can still give a liberal coating of Waxoyl or similar to damper bodies and other gubbins in the arches if you are concerned.

Congratulations. :)

I expected the running-in period to be frustrating but it really wasn't. There's plenty of mid-range for getting past people.

The first time I ran it to the redline I thought the engine was going to explode. After getting used to a thousand miles of sub-4k it sounds really violent at the top end.

I'm an ex-Porsche owner too: I had a 987 Cayman S before the Exige; a 996 Turbo and 996 C2 before that.

Edited by BillTheButcher
  • Like 1

I drove an Exige Roadster 1,000 miles in a weekend and was seeing 200-220 miles to a tank*. It was quite nice to get out every few hours to stretch! 

On track, you'll see less than 100 miles from a tank so will want to know where your closest petrol station is, but not sure the inconvenience of this is worth the several thousand a 20% biggest tank will cost.

*Although not the first tank, that one lastest about 120 miles :lol:  :driving:

On track, you'll see less than 100 miles from a tank so will want to know where your closest petrol station is, but not sure the inconvenience of this is worth the several thousand a 20% biggest tank will cost.

a lot less than 100 mile, I got 50 at Donington Park

Good effort :D

• Like 1

Not so worried about track mileage, but I would like a decent range for touring and the trip down to Le Mans etc. 200 miles sounds a little tiresome, but I'll see how I get on - as some have said, I might be glad of the break...

I think you can probably get the 60 litre Pro-Alloy tank bought and fitted for around £1,000 or so - but happy to be corrected by those who might know better.

Thinking about having the underside Waxoyl'd perhaps before collection - just to be on the safe side.

The underside of the car is fully flat and for the vast majority, aluminium, so the benefit would be minimal. However a light coat on the suspension components won't hurt as mentioned before.

• Like 1

Congrats on the car.

I notice you post on PH occasionally.... get yourself over there and tell them what they're missing.

They won't listen to me :)

I find, for the second time, Lotus ownership so much more satisfying than Porsche ownership.

• Like 1

The limited range is a bit of a nuisance but I'm learning to live with it.

One benefit of such a small tank is that it's a hell of a lot cheaper to fill up than any of my previous cars. My old C5 RS6 used to do about the same distance on a tank (~200 miles) but it cost over £100 to fill each time.

Edited by BillTheButcher

Congrats Mark, it will be good to have another Exige nearby. I remember you were thinking about the V6 Cup for a while but for mainly road use the LF1 is the better choice. They are fantastic cars and it's worth remembering that it took 55bhp more and 22kg less for an Evora just to match a standard Exige V6S laptime around Hethel! As a car to drive across to Spa and the 'Ring for a weekend I don't think it can be touched for the price.

I saw 238 miles out of a tank when driving across Europe last summer. If I'd had a jerry can on board I'd have pushed my luck and tried for 250, I reckon it's possible. As a result I don't think the larger tank is worth the cost. A few have made a big fuss about it on PH but none of them were owners! I did very nearly run out of fuel on the Nordschliefe but that was just me forgetting how long a single lap is!

Enjoy the car and keep us posted.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

I went for the Pro Alloy 60ltr tank as when I borrowed a V6 for a few days before buying I got tired of filling up all the time..

During the summer in a group of mixed Elise/Exige we did nearly 3k miles around Europe & I have to say it was rather nice to have plenty of fuel left while some of the others were sweating desperate for fuel...

• Like 1

Great news, Tony!

In pre-V6 days, wishbones were the main culprit for this sort of thing, but now the Exige sports rather sweet looking alloy wishbones as per the Evora, this shouldn't be an issue. I guess you can still give a liberal coating of Waxoyl or similar to damper bodies and other gubbins in the arches if you are concerned.

About bloody time! Thanks for the info!

It is good to know that the Exige has adopted the Evora alloy wishbones.

When I had my 2-11 resprayed, The dampers looked very rusty, but it wasn't a big deal to get them refurbished and looking shiny and new again. The 2-11 had Ohlins dampers, and the damper bodies looked fine but I was surprised that the springs were also looking quite rusty. The powder coating was peeling away in places - crap quality I suppose - surprising from Ohlins. The car was about five years old when I had the work done.

I went for the Pro Alloy 60ltr tank as when I borrowed a V6 for a few days before buying I got tired of filling up all the time..

During the summer in a group of mixed Elise/Exige we did nearly 3k miles around Europe & I have to say it was rather nice to have plenty of fuel left while some of the others were sweating desperate for fuel...

What insurance implications does having the larger tank fitted have? Did your insurer increase your premium? Have there been any warranty issues?

I plan on doing some longer trips and the extended range could be welcome...in the Alps last year those with smaller tanks sometimes struggled as we drove the passes as there's not too many fuel stops available.

What insurance implications does having the larger tank fitted have? Did your insurer increase your premium? Have there been any warranty issues?

I plan on doing some longer trips and the extended range could be welcome...in the Alps last year those with smaller tanks sometimes struggled as we drove the passes as there's not too many fuel stops available.

I'm not expecting any issues!

The car is on my fleet policy & unless a problem was directly related to the tank (god forbid) I see no issues

Warranty wise again unless it's a tank problem I see no issues.. 

It certainly made touring round the Alps less of a problem. 

Edited by Ishy
  • Like 1

I would definitely inform the insurance company about the after-market fuel tank. Anything non-standard should be declared really and a fuel tank is fairly significant. If the car were to go up in flames (fuel line comes detached for example) then you wouldn't be covered and even a total loss that wasn't tank related would give them an opportunity to point you at their small print!

New vehicle warranty I'd be less concerned about, but obviously if you suffered an engine failure due to fuel starvation or something, then it wouldn't be covered - but you just need to be confident about the quality of the product and installation.

I would definitely inform the insurance company about the after-market fuel tank. Anything non-standard should be declared really and a fuel tank is fairly significant. If the car were to go up in flames (fuel line comes detached for example) then you wouldn't be covered and even a total loss that wasn't tank related would give them an opportunity to point you at their small print!

New vehicle warranty I'd be less concerned about, but obviously if you suffered an engine failure due to fuel starvation or something, then it wouldn't be covered - but you just need to be confident about the quality of the product and installation.

Yes I know what you are saying... though as far as I am concerned it's as it left the dealers, just the same as if I'd had it fitted at Hethel before it left Lotus (same tank as Motorsport would fit just fitted by a dealer)  

Ditto with regards to the warranty situation

Besides I've every confidence in the Pro Alloy tank & the dealer that installed it..