free hit
counters
Lotus plans... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting article on Pistonheads this morning http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/lotus--evora-400-and-beyond/31661

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/lotus--evora-400-and-beyond/31661  

Posted Images

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/lotus--evora-400-and-beyond/31661

We're not getting an all-new Lotus until 2020. But there is plenty still to come from the two current aluminium chassis, including a roadster version of the Evora, an even more hardcore Exige and a likely update of the 2-Eleven track car according to boss Jean-Marc Gales.

The convertible Evora has been a long time in the pipeline but Gales confirmed it will arrive a year after the 400 goes on sale in August. We're told it'll have a two-piece carbon fibre roof that can be stashed inside the car behind the front seats. The stiffness of the aluminium tub means it'll mean little or nothing in the way of extra bracing.

Also in the pipeline is a more hardcore, lightened Evora to be called either Cup or Lightweight. That 400hp version of the supercharged 3.5-litre V6 engine in the Evora 400 will also be going into the Exige S. That'll be part of a wholesale revision of the car along the same lines of the Evora 400.

The Exige S has been a big-hitter for Lotus since the supercharged 3.5-litre V6 version was launched in 2012 and has been vying with the Elise for title of Lotus's best-seller ever since. It's expected to overtake it now production of the automatic has started - indeed Gales told us the production line as of two weeks ago was solely Exige S automatics bound for Asia. A 400 version would be serious fun. "400hp and less than 1,150kg. It will be number one," he said.

Then there's a likely new 2-Eleven, which would feature the same 400hp engine, according to Gales. "Our customers have told us: give us something that'll be class-leading on every track day, so we are going to do that," he said. To jog your memories, the 2-Eleven was a stripped-out, 670kg (in non-SVA mode) open-cabin special based on the Exige with a 1.8-litre supercharged engine, of which Lotus built around 250 from 2006. They cost £40,000 and are still holding much of that judging from this £30,000 2008 car. "We can do something similar very fast - within 12 months," Gales said.

The Elise is the final one to undergo the Gales makeover, in around two years he estimates. He wants to strip 30kg from the car. They're also going to have to sort the aerodynamics, which aren't good due to the coke-bottle curve. Lotus head of design Russell Carr told us it was never designed for high speed. "Originally it was 120hp and all about acceleration and fun, but over the years we've got to 260hp it really starts to really push the air."

After 2020, and assuming the company is back in profit as Gales is promising (by 2017), then he says the Lotus philosophy of lightweight agility could be applied to any model, even SUVs. "When you ask me - what would a Lotus SUV look like, certainly it would be lightweight, have benchmark handling, efficient. I don't understand why they all need to be two tonnes, 1.8 tonnes. We could do one for 1.3-1.4 tonnes." He also dreams of a four-door. "Anything but a Panamera: it'll be very dynamic, very fast looking, very lightweight."

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Evora Roadster late summer 2016.

Don't like the sound of the two removable panels though, rather than one: could be a T-bar, yuk (think Stag, 300ZX or Mk1 MR2). Also storing these panels behind the front seats doesn't sound promising for those rear passengers who are lucky enough to have any legs whatsoever.

Don't like the sound of the two removable panels though, rather than one: could be a T-bar, yuk (think Stag, 300ZX or Mk1 MR2). Also storing these panels behind the front seats doesn't sound promising for those rear passengers who are lucky enough to have any legs whatsoever.

Same solution as the Aventador roadster, except that the roof panels when removed are stowed in the small front luggage compartment.

Rigid panels would allow a higher top speed - the Exige S Roadster is limited to 145mph because the fabric roof would blow off.

Edited by amoss

I'd be happy if they somehow slotted away in the nose. It's always been a mystery to me how the Evora has no luggage space whatsoever in the nose. Most "middies" have some sort of luggage space and/or the spare wheel up front, in addition to the radiator, etc. Evora owners get neither the luggage space, nor the spare wheel.

It's due to the horizontal rad...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Maybe they should think outside the box and put an airing cupboard in the front then. A little something for the lady of the household!!  :w00t:

Joke Joke Im only joking (Im not really that sexist)

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

If there's anyone with the necessary skills, 'Photoshop' a pic of the Evora 400 to lop off the roof; I have a feeling it'll become a very purposeful looking roadster!

Regarding the Exige being the next model to get the 'Gales' treatment, I wouldn't have thought they'll play about with the external styling too much; the interior would surely be the area where it desperately needs a refresh, and the advantage, there, of course, is that the hard work/costs on that front don't have to be replicated for the Elise update!

Of course, if the Exige update is lighter and has 400bhp, there's a fairly good chance that you'll get out and not even be able to recollect the colour of the interior, let alone the styling!

I think we can expect the Exige and then the Elise to have better access similar to the 400. This would potentially increase sales.

It's due to the horizontal rad...

.. which is in turn part of an extremely effective crash structure.

Can you imagine?!  :driving:

Evora NA

I'm not sure they'll let you drive it :lol:

Evora NA

Yippee!!!  Positive maybe semi official news at last.  I know what my next one will be then!  Colour chosen.

Targa panels appeal to me.  I have always fancied the idea of a roadster but the thought of losing the rear space (whether it is +0 or +2) for the roof folding mechanisim was always going to be a compromise so that taking the car away for a weekend would lose the stowage space.

BUT if it is targa panels then you can have the best of all worlds all of the time but maybe not all concurrently.  i.e. if the +2 is your thing you can still take the kids and if required without roof then leave them at home (the panels!!) for short local journeys and no doubt a rain cover will appear.  If going away stuffing the space is important you can probably still do that and have roof off.

Win, win win for me!  :unworthy:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Oh and for the one or perhaps two people who have never seen these 6 year old renditions it gives an idea how sexy the car could look roofless albeit not targa in the rendition (but just squint) Remember 6 years ago being told on a factory tour pre-launch it was always going to be an option they were engineering.

post-7988-0-69677900-1424360077.jpg

post-7988-0-65711200-1424360078.jpg

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Exciting times! Love the idea of a 400hp Exige weighing less than 1150kgs.

Hethel sending a message to Weissach. Cayman GT4 we have a gift for you.

As of now not a word of JMG on whether Elise and Exige could make their way back stateside after the respective refresh, Evora got the new smart airbags, so logically the exige and Elise will follow suit and will get it to, making them NHTSA compliant but it would probably require a new series of crashtest to get them to North America. I wonder if JMG will say yes to that but at the same times if the next new product is to come in 2020.  So it may not be a bad idea to invest some cash in order to sell the Exige at least, it would sell well around here.

A V6 2-11!!!!!!

As a former 2-11 owner I'm genuinely excited by this!

Agree, very tempting! Only hope it will be available in Sweden as well. If the Evora convertible looks anything like the 400 I'll be looking elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

400 bhp 2eleven ? That sounds dangerous, crazy fast but dangerous and awesome. suv ? that worries me a little bit I don't know if that's a great idea for lotus ?

Maybe it will be the last Lotus that many owners will buy. But what a way to go. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!