free hit
counters
Exige 400 - Page 3 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige 400

goussama

ok so this GT4 riff raff upstart has 410mm ceramic brakes...i bet they look and are simply outstanding !  You could probably stare at them all day if you are a geek like me..... What is this ? a £6k option ? 

what a great P&L driver and i bet all gt4s have that box ticked :)

​do you think lotus will have the 'intelligence' to extract cash/ rape their customers in the same way as porsche do ?  

you all know we would tick that box when the time comes ....  as will everyone everyone in asia !

but will lotus see this easy money or just pass up the opportunity again ? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I still haven't found the limit of the 2 piece discs (which are now fitted to the Evora 400) yet so the exige anchors are up there and besides you might need ceramics to haul 1400kg of schweinfleisch down but much better to start with 1150kg which is what the new Exige 400 could come out at. I did like the lack of brake dust on my V12 Vantage though, but at the time only Aston Martin seemed to know how to get CC brakes to work properly for road use. Hopefully the others are up to speed by now.

I've only activated ABS once in 9000 miles at the Nurburgring. Cup anchors are amazing and were available on the V6S from the start yet I didn't see many people going for them. Porsche get away with fleecing customers as they want it to be an expensive car. Lotus buyers tend not to have the same mindset!

I've only activated ABS once in 9000 miles at the Nurburgring.

That's a decent amount of laps. Must have been a hell of a weekend :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

yep, but you have to be in it to win it JP ... and times are a changing as is the product and target market !  

agree on the ability of the current set. what i'm talking about here is making money pure and simple with a box to tick. 

what % of gt4 owners will use 100% of the ability of their 410mm ceramic brakes ?? <2%? 

what % of gt4 owners will spec 410mm ceramic brakes >90%

my view is make that box available across the range irrespective and see a significant effect on the bottom line perhaps? 

fekme 9k miles at the ring? I doff my cap to you Sir ! 

that was 9k miles before breakfast too!

:guitar:

you are quite right Diego it would be another good headline for the Exige 400 and more profit for Lotus too if it had CC brakes. Trouble is, they don't make it easy having such competent stoppers to begin with. It's much easier to sell CCs when your standard steels run out of ideas after 10 laps on a track day!

How about a cynical BS Porsche move of lowering the power to 380bhp to preserve the Evora 400's flagship status, then offer a £10k 'performance pack' to upgrade to replace the stolen 20bhp! Porsche urine extraction 101.

How they get away with it is anyone's guess. The magazines really give them an easy time. I can only imagine that many owners simply don't know what else to buy.

• Like 1

The trouble is that people who buy Lotus cars are very sensible and know that they wouldn't need to spend 6k on cc brakes,knowing that for the majority of driving they do they are not necessary.

You would find that only 2% would tick the option box so not really worth while for Lotus to add onto the list. This is where Lotus and Porsche owners and cars are different.

This is where Lotus and Porsche owners and cars are different.

So what does that make people that own both?

Personally I think you look at Porsches differently, a Boxster may be 35k list, which makes it comparable to an Elise. But in reality you will want to spent but you will want to spend at least 55k, with the S and a few options, most likely nearer £65 if you want a decent (not top) spec. I think when buying a Porsche you know that, and why people who own them don't compare the Elise to the Boxster.

I really like the way you can configure a Porsche to your own requirements. Obviously there is temptation there, but you get the exact car you want.

If you take the GT4 out of the equation I think the 400 has nailed it, you could spec a Boxster/Cayman to that price but who would? It has to be compared to the 911, which you won't get a sensible spec for less than £100k really.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Indecisive?

Bi-marquial?

;)

Mind you LF1 owners are a special case. The last one I sat in was so nicely trimmed and detailed inside I thought I was in the wrong showroom!

Tom's just doing some very thorough research on the great motoring debate.

:thumbup:  

Last one to B&C is a rotten egg!

:thumbup:

Silverstone!

lol .... we may as well keep this going, what color you going for boys? 

I was thinking yellow, but having seen the recent picture of a red one with the black contrast on the other forum, very tempted by that combination.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

It looks like a big seller around here if nowhere else. It will be an epic car with that PTW and a few tweeks. Not driven mine for 6 weeks at least as its having a rest.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

im as interested in the power and how the LSD will effect things ? 

just cant see how they can lower the sills though. cost implications and it already has a low enough rigidity. try sticking your finger against the roof gap behind your head as you drive.... fair bit of movement there. 

evora (pre sills cut) 26,000Nm
elise 10,500 Nm/degree

cayman 42,000 Nm
Aventador 35,000Nm/deg,
Mclaren 12c spider 23,000Nm 

if the 400 will be the run out exige on the existing platform and you only need 2 to 3k sales globally pa  i would keep it simple, bolt on the rear subframe and its running gear from the evora400 ....and save the chassis development budget for the new derivative especially with such a low Nm/degree starting point on a car that's nearly 2 x the original derivatives weight on what is largely the same chassis.

anyway... cant wait to buy one! 

well i havent found an exige v6 Nm/deg and im no expert .... so i would love to hear too....tried to get it discussed on seloc but no luck.... 

but if you take an elise chassis and bolt on a bigger rear subframe (ie 1/3rd of the the chassis) i assume the Nm/deg goes down not up? could be totally wrong.

the starting figure is very low but the original car was 725kgs or something with low grip relative to the exige v6  so it didn't matter.... 

Well the Cup has a rear cage and I think the Exige is stiffer thatn an Elise so hope it's considerably better than the competition. I tried a search but like you drew a blank. Conspiracy theory says it's a hidden figure as it's so low and has a high rubber content :-)

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

As ever the sills on the Exige/Elise are there for side impact protection, not just rigidity. I'm sure they could maintain or even increase the rigidity with a lower sill but only at the expense of side impact protection. Ron Simons has seen the aftermath of a big side impact on an Exige. He said the sills are way stronger than any door on any car. With a small car it's a huge benefit that has never been communicated properly, all everyone does is moan about them! I personally hope they keep the sills. Probably due to watching too much Dukes of Hazzard as a kid but they welded up the doors on the General Lee and I always thought that was cool!

Cayman is twice as rigid as a carbon tubbed Mclaren?.... a little unlikely methinks.

Elise tub is definitely less rigid than the Evora but I thought the Exige V6 was much stiffer, particularly at the rear. Remember they introduced those shear panels on the Cup 260? They claimed to increase lateral stiffness at the rear by 30%. You could really feel the difference. Rear subframe on the V6 is seriously beefy. From memory the rear of the V6 was something like 80% stiffer.

Yes Veyron is the Daddy when it comes to newton metres!