free hit
counters
Exige 400 - Page 4 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige 400

goussama

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

im happy to see the sills stay too, part of the theater of the car. 

but if i were 50 i might think otherwise?

still, very interesting topic ! 

Edited by diego

They cut the sills down for the Europa but I don't remember that being any easier to climb into. My Dad's got a Boxster and I don't find that particularly easy to get into either, certainly no easier than an Evora. It's as much to do with the seat being low as it is the sill. The main hurdle with the Exige is really the low roof. Elises are a doddle to get in roof off. Everyone blames the sill!

So I really hope Lotus don't compromise rigidity just for the moaners, elderly and infirm, it really isn't worth it! The carbon buckets in the 991 GT3 make getting in and out much harder but it's so worth it!

• Like 1

I am 50 and I cope just fine with the Exige sills :)  My 79 year old dad got in and out of the drivers seat!

Keep the sills I say, they are part of the hard-core road racer feel of the car :driving:

Add 50hp and a LSD (if it's useful) by all means, but don't make it softer and more comfy - the Evora already does those things superbly.

• Like 2

As ever the sills on the Exige/Elise are there for side impact protection, not just rigidity. I'm sure they could maintain or even increase the rigidity with a lower sill but only at the expense of side impact protection. Ron Simons has seen the aftermath of a big side impact on an Exige. He said the sills are way stronger than any door on any car. With a small car it's a huge benefit that has never been communicated properly, all everyone does is moan about them! I personally hope they keep the sills. Probably due to watching too much Dukes of Hazzard as a kid but they welded up the doors on the General Lee and I always thought that was cool!

I had hefty side impact in my S2 Exige and feel it was only the sills that saved me from more serious injury.

The door just disintegrated on impact so wasn't much help.

Chassis was also ripped apart in places.

I also think the high sills add to the overall drama of the car.

post-18099-0-45932700-1426616849.jpg

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

That picture is pretty compelling. Tub looks completely intact. A lower sill wouldn't have given you the same protection. Neither would a Porsche Cayman.

I'm up for raising the sill!

:D

im happy to see the sills stay too, part of the theater of the car.

still, very interesting topic !

I turned 50 in Jan and the sills are fine if you're a fine athletic specimen like myself.....cheeky @#*# :):)

Sure Bibs will find out answer.

Black n gold

I turned 50 in Jan and the sills are fine if you're a fine athletic specimen like myself.....cheeky @#*# :):)

Sure Bibs will find out answer.

sorry wasn't trying to cause offence lol... 

anyway, my view is you can retain high(ish) sills and increase ease of access... depends how you design the next version.

the trouble here is i just cant see how the products relate going forward if you lower the sills on the exige. why buy an evora400 cup when an exige400 cup will be available? assuming you can get into both. 

will they not just tread on each others toes considering both will only be 2 seaters and the exige will be quicker and cheaper?  

the trouble here is i just cant see how the products relate going forward if you lower the sills on the exige. why buy an evora400 cup when an exige400 cup will be available? assuming you can get into both. 

will they not just tread on each others toes considering both will only be 2 seaters and the exige will be quicker and cheaper?  

You can't compare the two and they tailor to different audiences.

I chose the Evora because it is a GT that I can use both on long vacation trips (with lugage) and as a daily driver. Its also the better car for long high speed Autobahn trips.

I did look at the Exige V6 and it is certainly the better track tool. But, I couldn't imagine myself getting in, wearing my winter coat in pouring rain, or sitting next to a big or fat colleage on the passenger seat whilst driving to a customer. 

Its more like comparing the GT3 with a Carrera S. THey are very similar, but still quite different and both sell equally well to different audiences. 

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

i get that for an evora400 (a gt) and an exige400 (a sportscar) ...

but evora400 Cup (which we know is coming) and exige400 or exige400 Cup?

surely the evora400 Cup (a sports car)  will be stripped out, harder suspension, lower, noisy ....ie not a GT at all but a car that competes directly with an exige even if it has more legroom ?

Do you expert know if the Evora 400 manual gearbox received some significant change (beyond the LSD)?

Because if no...I don't see much convenience in waiting for an "official" Exige 400 rather than tuning the actual (and + 50 hp on the papers in my country is 740 euro of taxes more per year!)

No-one else apart from the factory offers a chargecooled 400bhp yet. Without a chargecooler the extra performance is limited to ideal conditions and certain ambient temperatures. On trackdays the heatsoak soon causes the ecu to back off the power. The chargecooler should fix all of that.

• Like 1

Best hand the answer to that one over to the Komotec customers on here Bill!

I've only got my comparison at Spa to go by and it was a hot day then.

I like Bibs' idea of a water spray - genius! 

• Like 2

You know in your articles you never really told us in depth how much faster that Komo Tec Exige was at Spa. In your videos it looked like it was in between you and the speciale on track!

Would you suffer similar limitations and heatsoak in normal road use with something like the Komo-Tec 390/410/430 upgrades?

Yes and no. Decisive is the intake air temperature, which is only partly determined by ambient temp.. 

At speed the intake air is about 5-7°C above ambient, so even in warmer weather the power loss is not that great. At very high speed (>220 Kph) cooling becomes an issue and that gap will rise, costing more power. One reason to add the side scoops (at least on the Evora).

In city traffic the intake air easily rises to +25°C above ambient, at high outside temps this costs noticibly quite a bit of power. 

However, a charge cooler will not fully resolve the power loss issue. It will cool the engine air, but that air will still rise with ambient and engine bay temps.

You know in your articles you never really told us in depth how much faster that Komo Tec Exige was at Spa. In your videos it looked like it was in between you and the speciale on track!

I believe that Komotec Exige was not an Exige Cup, so not fully comparable.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

This is not Coco, nor a Carr design, but from Steven Crijns! He even won a reward for it.
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2007/11/27-lotus-design-hot-wheels-concept/

I'd say leave the styling well alone too. But if the theory about the Evora being the work of Donato Coco is true then Russell Carr might take a different approach to the Exige. Here's one he made earlier.

lotus-hot-wheels-concept1.jpg

Stick a hard-top on that and take the rest of the day off Russell!

Oh and for the list of MY2016 upgrades I'd add an adjustable steering column (great for taller drivers) and stick a TFT dash with lap timing etc in the pod, which should be covered in alcantara. Such an easy way to get one up on the Cayman GT4. AIM do this one with GPS data logging. Job done.

http://www.aimshop.co.uk/collections/car-dataloggers/products/aim-mxg-dash

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

Apologies to you and Steve Crijns!

Hopefully he's still at Lotus, I love that Hotwheels Elise, the Evora and Elise S3 borrowed a lot from it, I think they should have borrowed more! The Elise isn't selling anything like the numbers it deserves. It needs to get more radical and much lighter imo.

Apologies not necesessary Jonny. I'm just pointing it out to you, so you know. That's what the forum is for ;-)
Steven left to work for McLaren. I already noticed some hints in the new car and I'm sure it will be even more obvious when the "baby" Mac will be presented.
I guess Steven would never have allowed such a hideous nose on the facelift Evora.

Edited by Exploded

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

hahah yep about 4000 I think....on a good day! Thats why I was surprised when I saw the Zenos has a backbone chassis!

Buddsy

Same thought crossed my mind Buddsy.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Bibs locked this topic