free hit
counters
Copenhagen Belt Fest - Page 13 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Copenhagen Belt Fest

Sparky

A new lower can be had from a few places but the intermediate is only available refurbished to my knowledge.. I got all my parts via Lotusbits (the thread on my intermediate UJ splines was knackered)...

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
I put it in a vise and exercised it for a while whilst spraying it with lubricant. Slowly it got better and after 10 minutes it was OK.
Car is now put together and running fine. Yesterday I refilled the A/C, oh... I also did the Swedish MOT and passed (had a remark on the steering being sluggish). Fingers crossed that this streak of incidents is over :)
  • Like 1

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

With an SE there will always always always be something that needs doing - the key is to enjoy your outings despite these imperfections :)

Good that you fixed the UJ's at home! Saves some kr! What did you refill AC with? R134a will leak out within 3 months!

Tested envirosafe on my carbed -88 last summer, still works fine. Had the gear to connect it so it was only one can for 155 SEK and shipping 70 SEK (roughly £18). Then there is a debate about fire hazard but compared to petrol it's nothing.

Congratulations Martin! Now you can enjoy your nice SE to the fullest. Really nice looking car, have you fixed the chargecooler pump?

(Jacques, you are next :) )

Hi Henrik

No not yet, i am waiting for parts from England but they are one the way, and after you have told how you have changes yours, than i am ready.

it will be interesting to notice the difference.

and yes i think Jacques is the next, i think he is busy

I have now removed the chargecooler pump three times and it gets easier each time. :B)  The last time I didn't need to split the plenum or remove the oil filter. Removing the air filter box gives enough space (still not roomy though). Unplugging the spark plug leads can also improve space, just keep note of the order (at the coils not at the spark plugs) :)
A small mirror is also helpful. Loosen the jubilee clips first, you can see them from above, peeping through the space in the inlet manifold (the one at the front, looking towards the rear, if I remember correctly or from the side of the plenum). remove hoses and then there is only one screw holding the pump in place, this is also visible from above, think best option is a10 mm socket wrench (the small one with short extension might work fine). Twist and turn the pump to loosen it and it will come right out. There may be some oil with that but it's not alot.
Since your SE is very close to original (if not completely) I think the impeller might be the right way to go.
Did you order a service kit or an electrical pump?

HI Guys,

When I took my chargecooler pump off, because it wasn't working (hoses reversed I later found out), I only removed the airfilterbox.

From above, I could peep Down to the offending parts, and with a lot of slowy feeling your way, I managed to take off the hoses, the bolt, and thechargecoolerpump. It's not hard at all.

Yeah yeah, I'm NeXT ;)

We'll see.

ps: Took my Esprit which is stock, to the most experienced dyno guy in Denmark.  He observed various Things, commented on them and measured it. Auch my ears!!!
If that Quicksilver is the silent version, I think Bibs' non-silenced version was way over the top ;)

Anyway, 298 Hp and 356 Nm. Very satisfied.

Only mod to the car is the Blov off valve and the Quicksilver system plus a K&N airfilter. No ramair or anything else.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

That is really promising. Was that at the wheels? No chip change involved?

Great figures! Blow off valve shouldn't give any extra so it is all down to K&N and exhaust system (Ram air conversion shouldn't give any on a dyno, should it?). I am not completely sure but is it like so that the ECU in the SE alows a temporary "over boost" for some 6-7 seconds? Giving almost 285 HP? Top that up with the mods you have and 298 could be just spot on. 5 Hp from the K&N and 8-10 from the exhaust. I am just thinking out load here. Stated by Lotus is 265 or 268 Bhp, but that is not in "over boost" mode I guess. Anyone know more about how it works?

Norway next summer then, for at least two lucky Danes?   :)

Hi Henrik,

No, at the crankshaft, as far as I understood.

No chips, no ramair, no bigger injectors, bigger pump, higher fuelpressure regulator, etc.

Just a standard engine with a k&n airfilter plus the Quicksilver exhaust. God linear power all the way.

The Lotus Service Notes describes very well the engine and it's working conditions.

As far as I remember, the boost is around 0,64 bar, allowing in certain specs like good Water temp etc, an overboost to 0,85 Bar for up to 30 seconds.

Now those 30 seconds will vary most likely, as the ingoing air into the engine can be too hot, for example.

I think many people WHO know lot's about this, have made descriptions here.

I think mine read 0,93 Bar at max.

He is generally quite conservative when rolling a car. I know him well , and have used him at other times.

I think it's a Little optimistic to say a k&n filter gives say 5 Hp, as often they diminish HP's. I have seen that too. Mine is clean and very lightly oiled with their filteroil. I think it really depends of the specific vehicle. Once read some articles about k/n etc, and they discussed for example that the filter area is way smaller, but more open. Engine Wear and clogged filters quickly diminish engine performance, in some applications. In other cases, it filters quite okay, and in some cases it raises HP's, but mostly allowing other mods to come into action (play). So it's Things working in harmony, not a single thing adding so and so much. For example a higher capacity fuel pump not giving any horsepower in itself; an airfilter in itself not giving anything more; a porting of say the inlet not in itself giving anything in particular; a free flow exhaust may give a Little, but in conjunction, and finetuned to eachother may raise the performance level fairly much. Anyway, we all know that already, so I won't talk about that.

Just a happy bunny with my engine right now.

If I should install a chip, it would an S4s chip. Slightly better, and getting rid of the stumbling at 3000 or there about.

My interest in my engine, is to make it smooth delivering the power, freeing what is inside there, not tuning as such.

For example, I take it, without too much proof though, that the original exhaustsystem is somewhat restrictive, to allow for various markets, polution standards etc. This in one field that can be experimented with.

So, in addition to the Quicksilver system that my car came with from the po, I have bought a freeflow cat (very poitive results on my Corrado G60, in connection to my own rebuilt stainless bigger exhaustsystem), together with a tubular manifold from Alunox, together with an Alunox cooler system, plus the electrical chargecoolerpump, I already installed. Sorry if I didn't mention that before. As I go with these Things, I'll write about it on my thread "Little Red Riding Hood".

For example, I ran my freeflow cat on my Corrado, and it gave a some more torque and HP's, but it became better, when I took it off, and a friend cut the ends off, and welded other shaped ends on, thereby changing the flow of the cat, and other small tricks. That is why my late 1991 G60 Corrado went from 178 Hp to 192 Hp.

At that time I also measured a *** k&n *** airfilter (new, clean and very lightly oiled) to Loose 3 HP's on my Corrado G60 G-lader engine. Btw, the open airfilters are known to Wear the G-lader faster, because of it's design. So I only use original paper filters on that engine. Because it protects my engine, and because it gives results. I did make some differences to the inlet air before the paperfilter though, as there is a noise restrictor before, that I took off, and changed the inlet tract. Voila, 3 more HP's.

But apart from all this, I look very much forward to hearing about your results, as you get the various parts you ordered. Very interesting.

I would also be very interested in hearing from anyone WHO may have had either a standard engine (maybe even an SE?), and WHO did the ram air mod on the SE (or similar), or the same on a modded engine, and rolled it to see the difference???

Veeeery interesting.

Cheers,

Jacques.

PS: that Quicksilver exhaust on full song at 7200 or so, sounded rather extreme, to say the least. I've heard many heavily tuned cars playing it loud, but this was ... LOUD!  He he. yeah yeah, I know. Sound does not in itself make power. But it just sounded soooo good.  ;)

Can never be too loud :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Dude, your engine has been rebuilt :) Remember that too! I don't know the extent of what was done. But it might explain why you've effectively got a sport 300. 

Thought you'd say that Bibs  ;)

I remember that you mentoned that Vanya. As far as I have seen, only cylinderhead was taken off and every single bit off and cleaned, then back together Again. I have no records of any actual Work performance wise being done.

But engine runs nicely and I think that the Swedish guy who did the job is very good at what he does, and being finicky.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Hi

Now does charge cooler work again in my esprite se and what a difference. Thanks for the advice, it went exactly as planned, however with the purchase of a new small socket wrench.

I removed the airbox and could do everything with the right arm, it was the first time so it took seven hours in the trunk au au, then yes the success is that greater :))

Once again thank you for your advice

/Martin
  • Like 1

It's a totally different car now, you may get 30-40 bhp and that is noticable :)

Next time you will do the pump removal in under 45 min and put it back in 15.

Sounds good. It'll be very interesting to see, what it all brings. What about a slightly more productive fuelpump and a fuel pressure regulator which is bigger and adjustable?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

ps: Tomorrow, I am going to drive to the other side of the country, to take a close look at a Porsche 996.

Kind regards,

Jacques,

For the moment I am quite happy powerwise :) I thought I'd fit the new injectors (which are calibrated) to avoid the risk of one cylinder running lean. As I understand it the lambda sensor measure the value for all cylinders combined and if one is running lean it can go undetected. The secondaries will be uprated to cope with 330 bhp but I doubt that I will get that without upgrading the turbo. This might have been done by the pre PO, there is a small tag on the turbo that indicates it has been with one of the leading companies here in Sweden but I haven't checked with them if it was an upgrade or just an overhaul.

//Henrik

ps: Sold my MY88 RHD today to a Lamborghini dealer!

//DS

pps: Jacques, you are kidding abot the Porsche? right?  :shock:

Very interesting Henrik. Please report back what you do and how it performs. Very interesting read ;)

Oh yes, I am serious about the Porsche 996.

But it's not for me, thank God!

Cheers,

Jacques.

You had me scared there for a moment Jacques :) I'll report how it performes when fitted and tested.