free hit
counters
A miniscule bit of progress on 129G - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

A miniscule bit of progress on 129G

I've made a little bit of progress on the restoration of 129G. I've now had this car 8 years and I've been working on it during this time. To date I've never driven this car and it hasn't been roadworthy since the late 80s!!!

I stripped all the loom tape of the wiring harness and sorted out all the melted wires. I uprated a few of them and fitted relays for the lights, windows and fans. I fitted 3 Kenlowe fans to the front of my radiator so I don't expect it to overheat when I finally get it running. I've tested most of the electrics (initally using a battery charger so that if there were any shorts it wouldn't go up in flames) and most of it seems to be working. So far so good.

I've finished most of the interior bits and I've started fitting the lovely orange carpet :) Here are a few shots as it stands today...

j96lck.jpg
aws3eu.jpg
2mmwjnr.jpg
5335w6.jpg
swpxdg.jpg
w2bm6c.jpg
sqjpeo.jpg
2zdq1q9.jpg
2z7n3fa.jpg

Jobs left to do...

1) Rebuild the carbs

2) Finish off the interior

3) Get it running

4) Polish the wheels and get new tyres

The list is getting smaller... slowly...

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

She looks lovely

Get her on the open road where she belongs.....

It's cruel to keep the beast caged up

As above .Looking great.good on you.Lots and lots of hard work .Mike

Paul, please could you post some pictures of the retrim and details, as I will have to do this soon. Presumably 1/2 inch felt on tunnel and floor? I already have the carpet. Thanks.

Also how was putting the glass in, any tips.

Just noticed the demist vent grill fitted to the dash is the opposite way round on some cars, I have to bend and fit these do you know if this way is correct? Also infront of the binnacle do the larger vent holes meet in the middle? I have seen this on pictures, but don't know if it's correct either?

Fabian - Paul asked me the same question last week about the vent orientation. On mine, the vents would only fit clearing the heater vent hose outlets beneath the dashboard in one way, so I didn't have a choice about which way they fitted. I seriously doubt whether it makes any difference (apart from appearance of course!)

Paul, please could you post some pictures of the retrim and details, as I will have to do this soon. Presumably 1/2 inch felt on tunnel and floor? I already have the carpet. 

1/4" felt on the tunnel sides and 1/2" everywhere else. Nothing on the rear bulkhead apart from the carpet. Underneath the pedals should have no (or minimal) underfelt so as not to impede the accelerator pedal travel and give some room for resting your feet.

Is the tunnel felt glued and the floor felt held by the carpet clips or glued also?

I glued all of my felt and filled in the holes for the clips which were fitted to the floor. I don't intend to fit clips to my carpet and don't want water getting in. The accelerator pedal should have a black rectangular vinyl pad to the side of it and there should be no felt on the wheel arch there and the passenger side should match.

Paul, can you do my car after?

I see you have 3x Fuse boxes. Did you add new ones for the relays?

If so how did you run the supply wires? I think I see one big brown one (from the starter I imagine) to the fuse then off each fuse to the relay?

How big is the feed wire? And how did you pick the color red for the wires out?

Looks great!

Edited by marcbria

Paul, can you do my car after?

You bugger off! I shall never do another Lotus. I have an e-type Jag which has been waiting patiently for a couple of years and once that's done... so am I.

I see you have 3x Fuse boxes. Did you add new ones for the relays?

If so how did you run the supply wires? I think I see one big brown one (from the starter I imagine) to the fuse then off each fuse to the relay?

How big is the feed wire? And how did you pick the color red for the wires out?

Looks great!

Yes I did add another fuse box for the relays which feed the lights, fans and windows. As you say I ran a 45A extra feed for those from the starter (the thick brown wire) and then I just ran 17A red feeds to all of the relays. Why red? Why not, it's just a 12V live feed.

Paul is that the glove box from S and J, and is it screwed to the underside of the steel crossmember?pressumably that's your fan switch overide on the right.

Paul is that the glove box from S and J, and is it screwed to the underside of the steel crossmember?pressumably that's your fan switch overide on the right.

Yes the glove box is a replacement from SJ. However, I didn't end up using it in the end as it started to tear and didn't fit very well. So in the end I went back to the original and added the third fuse box.

The other thing is an auxiliary power socket for phones/sat nav. I didn't want it visible, hence the placement.

I have a thermostatic switch which will switch the fans on if the temperature exceeds a set level...

6yf6hg.jpg

Cheers, Paul.

Please can we have some more pictures?

Hi Paul, have you got the trim in yet? Was hoping to see some pictures as I will have to do thus soon. Did you use 1/4 foam in the tartan on the door cards? Thanks.

Wing?

Nah, seriously, looks very nice. :thumbsup:

Have you done the trim yet? Any pictures please?

I've done a bit more on the trim, so this is how it looks today...

2j3l64g.jpg
2qiqkvp.jpg
21eqcmw.jpg
xokyv4.jpg

To be honest I'm losing enthusiasm for this at the moment. I'm sick to death of that green material because of the yards and yards of it I've used on this car. I only have both door cards to do now and I won't be sorry when they're done - I don't EVER want to do another one of these as long as I live.

There is an ever growing list of jobs that need re-doing or sorting out in some way but right now I'm going to leave them e.g. the electric windows are next to useless but I can't bring myself to look at them right now.

My focus is on refitting the water pump, finishing the rebuild of the carbs and then starting the thing.

Note the ashtray is in the correct place as this is a very early car (30th ever built) ;) In fact it looks so good I might take up smoking so I can use it :)

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Don't lose hope! It's a fantastic car that you have there and to my, albeit untrained eye you appear to be doing a top notch job.

Head down and you can get it ready for the lotus festival!

• Like 1

That looks the mutts nuts chap.

Have a beer and re look at the before and after photos

Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back and head back towards the fridge

Looks really good, keep going you've nearly done it! Thanks for the pics.

Yes it's very easy to get down hearted. I've been working on this car for just over 8 years now!! That has been most weekends and a fair few evenings. Here's a look back to 2006 when I first got the car after paying an extortionate £2,000 for it...
33l2wl5.jpg
2cp9nie.jpg
21340pe.jpg

I dragged it off a bloke's driveway in Bristol where it had stood since 1989. As you can see I was robbed ;)
xp7vab.jpg

What was I thinking?
6pncpw.jpg
10rii5y.jpg

Nobody would want to find a car like that on a driveway and then part with £2,000 yes £2,000 for it. I know I must have been mad I can hear you all tutting as I type this. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 2