free hit
counters
A miniscule bit of progress on 129G - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

A miniscule bit of progress on 129G

Very original! A very sound investment. Your be driving in a few months, just keep going!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes it was a very original car and even had the pod wing mirror!! If your car has a repro wing mirror on it, wherever you got it from, it originally came from my car. I've done more for road traffic accidents increasing than anybody else. We now have loads of S1 Esprits where the driver can't see a damn thing thanks to me. It's all a public service you know...

It even has the original green tonneau cover which goes over the engine bay. I've never, ever seen another car with the original still in tact. Mind you it doesn't fit as it's about an inch short in all directions!

Edited by Paul Coleman

Looking fab - the original pictures are an inspiration!  I recall a while ago you were debating whether to have left the car original and not restored it. "They are only original once.." you said.  Well, I think looking back on the 'original' interior you'll enjoy driving the new one much more.  I can just hear the onlookers as you pull into the pub :

If kept original : "Nice car mate, shame about the crappy interior. Does it smell as bad as it looks ?"

With Pauls restoration : "Nice Ferrari mate" 

:smoke:

You have a green tonneau cover, really? Never seen one that colour, sure its not black faded by the sun? I have the original black vinyl one for mine, one of the dot fasteners has pulled through but thats an easy repair. They are tight when they are cold Paul, in the searing heat of the engine bay they soften up and fit a treat.

Yes the green interior doesn't last and had to be recovered, no choice really.The carpet had stuff growing in it :)

Whether the body could have been saved with gel coat I don't know. It had a bit of damage and a few star cracks which were huge so probably not.

Re tonneau cover - yes the very early cars had a green vinyl cover. I was going to wait for a nice warm sunny day and then try and fit it.

At least it wasn't orange.  Argh, what am I saying ...

The bonnet sticks up on the front left, just like mine I don't feel so bad about it now!

Paul, if you want some inspiration watch last nights episode of the Classic Car Show. The Bond S1 is reviewed by Jodie Kidd, it's the car to have!

This is Jeff's early S1 that SJ restored a few years back. The tonneau cover is a repro but have a look at the colour...

2q3ss49.jpg

Early S1s (like mine) didn't have seat belt warning switches so there was no need for earths. So I can't help with that question I'm afraid.

Cheers, Paul.

wow that's a real credit to you Paul .Looks fanantastic.Mike.

By earth, meant ground straps. Thought the seats had to be grounded to chasis to prevent charge build up and to protect against unlikely event of a lightning strike? I was intending to use thick metal ground straps. thought I had seen a diagram of the grounding straps, had a look but can't find it. Metal cars are already a Faraday Cage and so don't need grounding. I was intending to run the strap from the seat belt chasis bolt to the seat rail?

I could well be wrong but as far as I am aware the earthing is just for the seat belt warning. I doubt having the seats connected to the negative terminal of the battery will do anything for lightning protection. As you say, a metal car is naturally a Faraday cage but I have no idea how a fibreglass car reacts to lightning - it's a good question...

Paul.

I Googled the question of lightning hitting a fibreglass car and basically it's a very unsafe place to be during a thunderstorm!! As there is no metal shell it won't act like a Faraday cage and basically offers no protection. So best not drive if there's a chance of thunder and lightning :)

Hmm... wonder if it would create 1.21GW of power hahaha

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

On the plus side, unless you're surrounded by GT40s, you'll be the lowest thing on the road, so you'll be perfectly safe :-))

• Like 1

I finally got the last bits of my carpet back from the trimmer who edged them for me and have now fitted the passenger side carpet...

n69840.jpg
25yukk9.jpg
2yts5mc.jpg
1qlhdc.jpg

For the first time in 8 years I now have one of my home made seats in. My wife made the seat covers and the rest of the interior...
95v7o1.jpg
f3b31u.jpg

It's now a nice place to be and smells a bit sweeter than it did when I got it. Some of the carpet was green with mould back then...
10r8zcw.jpg

It all takes twice as long as you expect and it took me most of the day to do this one side. But it's definitely getting there. It has cost me less than £600 to do the carpets.

Not long now...

Paul.

• Like 1

That's looking so nice. :thumbup:

I'd forgotten how "laid back" the S1 seats are. Almost a sun lounger on board.

That is one talented Mrs paul

Paul, the car looks amazing!!! You and Mrs. Paul deserve major kudos.

She cursed those seats more than once!! Having seen how much work there is in the green/tartan interior it's easy to see why they soon changed it to be honest. There was probably as much time in the two seats as the rest of the interior put together.

The green/tartan is a Marmite thing - you either love it or you hate it. I personally love it but I know it's not very hard wearing.

Nope - can't understand the hate it.........

It's stunning - end of.........what's under the kilt??

Looks fantastic .Not just the inside .But the whole car.......As above Good on your wife......Mike

Excellent, looking good and nearly finished. Wish my wife could do the trim. I'm now waiting for Steve Fulcher who's ended up doing it all, but he's very busy.