free hit
counters
A miniscule bit of progress on 129G - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

A miniscule bit of progress on 129G

Yes very nearly done now. I shall never do it again (so it had better outlast me) and I shall never do another one either.

Are you having every bit of trim done by Steve? I know you'd sent him some bits.

Steve will obviously do a better job than I did but my aim with this car was to do everything (as far as possible) myself. It's been a good hobby for the last 8 years and for me, the journey was as pleasant as hopefully owning and driving the car will be.

I hope Steve's Dad Nick would have approved. Not too bad for an amateur and I'm pleased with it.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I took the dash up for him to do and my seats for examination after my wife said the seats looked awful and I couldn't put them in the car! He's just done another White S1 which is flawless. After seeing the other cars trim and my seats it was obvious they had to be completely redone, the Tartan and shape was all wrong. I don't know how he does it but the seats are all curved and shaped. Because the tartan is wrong I now have to take up the bulkhead and door cards. I'm doing the underlay and cutting the Orange carpet. I may get him to do the flat green bits or get them done locally by my other trimmer I will get them redone if required. I have already stripped and repaired all of the panels and am working on re glassing the door cards for the new speakers. Most of the panels needed repairs and clips moved for a good fit. He's doing the headlining too. I doubt I'll have the seats this year! Have to get the Kangols professionally rebuilt. Have found a company in Byfleet that have been going for forty years.

Well the interior is almost finished. I just have to fit the chrome trims and do the door cards...

70f7ub.jpg

2zogpjo.jpg

2qu3seq.jpg

However, having driven it up and down the driveway I have discovered a problem with the clutch. When I turn the steering wheel I can feel the clutch pedal move so I'm guessing the u/j on the steering column is fouling on the clutch pedal which will be a right nightmare to sort out :huh:

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Looks good. I had to rebuild the entire steering column, all the bearings including new universal joints. Then spend days messing with the shims to get it to work properly. Now I've been doing the front quater windows for about four days and only have one in! Maybe I'll take years to finish! Thought I only had a weeks work left.

Your seatbelts have changed colour to bond light grey!

Have you changed the seatbelts or is it a trick of the light?

They are the original belts and that's the colour they are.

Looking fantastic Paul!

Well, I couldn't think of anything else to do before the MOT so I've booked one for tomorrow at 2pm.

Very nervous!!

• Like 1

It'll be like pacing the room waiting for a new baby to be born !!'

Good luck

Only here once

Hmm... got the agreed valuation form back from the insurers yesterday and they valued my car at £25,000. I had asked for £30,000 as it's not finished and doesn't currently have an MOT. I'm not exactly sure where I can get another early car that's had a full nut & bolt restoration for £25,000?

Paul.

MOT failed on steering rack lose (I forgot to tighten it!), steering rack u/j fouling on chassis. I believe the u/j was fouling because the rack had dropped down though so I I believe it was all linked. I seem to remember I didn't tighten it at the time (about 3 years ago) as I was looking into setting the bump steer and then realised I couldn't do it and then forgot to tighten the bolts.

It also failed miserably on the hydro carbons. The limit is 1200ppm and mine was 2857ppm so wildly out. Not sure what causes high hC readings but it's not something you can check yourself as cheap gas testers only measure CO.

Ho-hum...

Mmmm thats annoying! Mine will probably need tweeking,- taking it to Bell and Coville for the MOT, if I ever finish. I had that problem with the rack too. Took lots of adjusting with shims and had to phase the U/J to get the clearance correct and constant wheel force, its very tight! The engines a worry. I expect to have similar problems with the emissions, hope it can be sorted by tuning as this is my only plan? Are there any exemptions for classc cars?

Both seem like simple fixes to be fair. Good luck with the retest

Only here once

Are there any exemptions for classc cars?

If your car is before August 1975 there is no emission test they just do it by sight!! Obviously mine is later than that so has to be tested.

Paul.

Is it possible to tune it differently to achieve a pass?

Removing the air filter can make a difference, obviously fit it back once you have a tick ! - you really need a tester who is used to old cars.

Only here once

Unburnt fuel in the exhaust can cause high HC readings, should be sorted with a good tune up.

I've booked it into a place with a roilling road. The guy there says he's familiar with Dellortos so I'll see what he says...

I am happy to report that I have finally passed the MOT - on my 3rd attempt!

It has been a real battle with one set back after another and this is the first MOT this car has had since 1989. So over a quarter of a century.

The first time it failed on HC emissions and the steering u/j was fouling the chassis.

So I shimmed the rack out a bit more and the second time it failed on the amount of play in the u/j to rack pinion joint.

The 3rd time it passed.

But last night when I finally took it off axle stands after the front had been jacked up for me to fix the steering the handbrake mechanism had seized on the o/s wheel. It also decided to do the same thing when I picked it up after the MOT but thankfully it didn't do it during the test.

And then just as I was getting ready to take it to the MOT station it wouldn't go into reverse. So I was frantically trying to sort that out minutes before I was due to take it. Bloody car!

There is a never ending list of jobs to sort out on this car and it refuses to just give in. I think it didn't really want to be dragged off that bloke's driveway in Bristol 8 years ago?

The starter motor seems to not actually want to turn it over sometimes but if you switch it off and then back on it does?

It also really doesn't like starting when it's hot?

And when I went to fill it up I could only put about £18 in each tank. That balance pipe doesn't seem to be very good and I had to use both filler caps. Surely it must take more than £38 to fill an S1 up?

Paul.

Well done! What was the emissions solution?

On the first attempt (just using the Carbtune Manometer) I got...

CO=0.065%

HC=2857ppm

So basically it was spitting raw unburnt fuel straight out of the exhaust.

Then I used a colour tune to try and get a blue'ish flame and got...

CO=2.194%

HC=1027ppm

Which is a pass.

So just out of interest I tweaked each carb to richen it by 1/4 of a turn...

CO=3.923%

HC=199ppm

A doubling of the CO caused a 5 fold decrease in the HC emissions.

• Like 1

Good stuff. Enjoy the driving and I look forward to seeing it at some shows!

There's so much still left to do though!! But at least I can legally drive it on the road to go for tracking/tuning etc.