free hit
counters
Expansion tank - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Expansion tank

Hi

I have got water bubbling from the point shown in the picture.  Anyone else experienced this? Not investigated yet but I am assumingpost-13610-0-17471500-1424639125.jpg clean up and weld.  Any advice anyone?  Thanks Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Happened on my '82 S3, it's just soldered on so I repaired it using a blowtorch & some fresh solder :thumbsup:

Great thanks.  I assume clean off all the paint, run some flux in the joint all on the outside?

Once it's hot enough the top will come off which will allow you to clean everything up with a wire brush in a power drill. I just used self fluxing soft solder but silver solder or even brazing it would probably be better. :o

Un solder it clean and wipe with flux with say a paint brush do it hot so the flux and solder are melting this will wipe the joint before you solder it back on it has to be spotless and tinned to reseal the soft solder will be fine at 15psi the cap will then let the pressure out after that. Did i mention CLEAN or it will drive you mad it will fail again.

andy b

Baker's fluid...if you can still get it (!)...but clean it all off afterwards, it's corrosive.