free hit
counters
GT3 Timing belt/Water Pump/Tensioner - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cammmy

GT3 Timing belt/Water Pump/Tensioner

Hi Guys

Looking to do the timing belt as soon as the weather permits. Just have a few questions.

What is the service interval for the belt on a GT3? I'm hoping it's not 20k miles or 2 years as that seems a bit extreme. Does anyone know what the intervals are for the Gates Racing blue belt?

What is the service interval for the waterpump? If I can find a service entry for the last one and it's got like 2-3 years/10k miles on it. Will it really need replacing?

Same for the tensioner.

I'm all for doing things while you're in there but I don't see sense in biffing something that's probably used about 1/5th of it's life expectancy. I can't imagine the waterpump and tensioner are time sensetive and degrade the same way as a belt can in a few years? Especially in a car that's regularly used.

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The service interval for the Blue Belt is a matter of raging controversy.  Do you feel like being the Guinea Pig? :robo:

It is advertised as being 300X stronger than the standard belts.  Don't know if that also applies to the rubber teeth on the belt. :help:

I haven't heard of any failing, but I also haven't heard about any high-mileage examples.

+++++++++

My water pump lasted for 76K miles, and I only rebuilt it then because I rebuilt/resealed the engine. Look for coolant seeping out of the weep hole underneath, if dry you could probably let it go.

++++++++++++++++

I replace my TB tensioner every other timing belt change. (That's on the 2 yr/25K mile OE schedule for the A and B series factory belts.)  Again, I was just being pro-active, never had any issues. :thumbsup:

My water pump died at 50k... weeks after replacing my timing belt and tensioner...

My water pump died at 50k... weeks after replacing my timing belt and tensioner...

That has happened to others, as well...Perhaps a result of the tension on a new belt being "tighter" than the old one?

Actually I think it was due to the water pump seal sitting dry for a while as I procrastinated...  Since you have to drain the coolant down to a level below the water pump in order to change the timing belt.

I have had to change the water pump on 3 cars, all due to the car sitting about to long idle. I would never trust a belt from an advertised low mileage car, belt receantly changed,  and as aready mentioned when the belt is being done it's just as well to do the pump and tensioner at the same time. At least then you do know that it should be ok for a long time.

If it were me, I'd err on the side of caution, and change the water pump. At least then you have the peace of mind, because it looks like a bitch of a job to do with the engine in situ.

As for cambelts, remember this: They're cheaper than engines.

Cheers for the replies.

It's more the time than the milage that i'm after. The car gets used quite regularly but I don't have any need to drive during the week, so I won't be racking up the miles. I was just hoping that the gates belt would be good for say 5 years vs 2 for the standard part etc. 2 years seems to be an extremely short service interval for a cambelt.

I would normally do tensioners and w/p when doing the belt, but that would be on cars with 100,000km/5 year belt intervals. Just seems like they really shouldn't wear out in less than 2 years/20k miles (on a frequently used car). I shouldn't think it would be a struggle for those bits to go for 4 years and less than 40k miles?

Got home late last night so didn't check the history. Will try and have a look tonight to see when they were all done.

I'll probably do them both anyway, just want to gauge opinion.

checked my paperwork. Cambelt and tensioner done in May 2013. Couldn't find any mention of a water pump.

So I could do the belt and pump and check the tensioner (bearing shouldn't have worn out in two years?). I don't mind doing the tensioner for the sake of £20, it's just finding a mechanic open on a sat afternoon who will press off the old one and put the new one on. Would mechanics in the UK normally charge you for the couple of mins it would take to do that? Most back home probably wouldn't.

Edited by cammmy

If yours is GT3 spec don't forget to swap over the outer sleeve on tension bearing

at the same time as the mounting hub..

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Edited by cammmy