free hit
counters
Radio wiring loom in a GT3 and new head unit - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GordonMasson

Radio wiring loom in a GT3 and new head unit

I am going to put a new CD / Radio into my 97 GT3 (old dash)

Is the radio connector on the loom compatible with current head units or does it require an adapter?

Don’t want to spend a fortune and there seems to be decent units(?) in Halfords for about £100.

Unfortunately, when you ask the “assistants” there about them they just read out what it says on the ticket and that’s all you get

I want to be able to listen to music from my iPhone and control it from the CD unit using Bluetooth. I don’t want any leads to plug in etc.

Anyone got any of these?

Sony MEX-N4000BT £89.00 ( WAS £119.00 )

Alpine CDE-173BT Car Stereo with Bluetooth £99.00 (WAS £109.00 )

Pioneer DEH-X5600BT Car Stereo £90.00 (WAS £119)

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos

If you have any recommendations it would be good to hear them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I didn't have any issues putting in my Kenwood stereo last month. Just pulled out the loom (which was all marked and terminated with individual connectors).  I then just terminated the new connector/loom which came with the stereo - took an hour. 

Now I have bluetooth, multiple USB outlets, Digital Radio, Iphone connectivity, Pandora - whatever that is.

post-41-0-03789000-1424832121.jpg

Next thing you will be telling me is your Air Con works as well Simon!

Looks good. From what I gather, there is supposed to be a connector on the wiring loom that you plug in an adapter to (if needed) and then it plugs into the back of the new head unit.

This sort of thing....

post-237-0-07646600-1424854032.jpg

Are you happy with the Kenwood head? What did it cost?

Cheers

Aircon hasn't worked in 15 years.  The knobs just there for show.

The Kenwood unit was their most expensive.  The equivalent of 130 UK Pounds.

http://www.kenwood.com/au/car/receiver/kdc-x700dab/index.html

I didn't have a connector hiding in there.  I think previous owner put in individual connectors which made the job rather simple.

Since I took out my cigarette lighter (back in '03) I haven't been able to use my GPS or other device.  So this new unit gives me two USB outlets. :-) 

Funny that, I have an air con nob with exactly the same function :)

Looks like that unit is only available in Australia.

Seems like Sony, JVC and Pioneer are the ones that are stocked in most outlets here if you don't go high end.

Does that unit allow you to have full control over your iPhone via Bluetooth?

You can buy either end of that loom piece off ebay then just solder/heat shrink your own connectors on and you are in business.  Will make the next music player change plug and play.

I am going to have to make up a couple of tools to remove the existing unit so I can have a look at the connector.

If there is a connector there of some sort it is simpler (and possibly cheaper) to put a cross-over loom in place....depending on what's there they cost ~ £10.

I am assuming that manufacturers have settled on a standard plug now?

if so, which end of the loom above is it?

The male  bit will be attached to the car. Some players will have the male part plug direct into the player. In true Blue Peter style, here is one I made earlier................Some like the cheepie in the pic have a smaller plug at the player and the female on the other  end of it.

post-1261-0-42833500-1424886065.jpg

post-1261-0-87889000-1424886084.jpg

Does that unit allow you to have full control over your iPhone via Bluetooth?

Yes it does.

I didn't actually know until you Posed the question. I can play all my songs on the phone via bluetooth - pretty cool. It also comes with a full remote and wiring for steering wheel controls.