free hit
counters
New (softer) spring rates - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rjwooll

New (softer) spring rates

When my Elite was fitted with the Excel chassis, it was fitted with coilovers rated at 300lb/in front and 250 lb/in rear. This always felt rather harsh to me despite the ratings being more or less the same as the Excel SE/SA. The original Elite had far softer springs (100-150lb/in;) I can only think that when the Excel was launched it was decided to give it more of an out and out sports car feel.

I've just had softer springs fitted by Lotusbits and am now running 250lb/in front and 150lb/in rear. The dampers had to be cranked up a notch to remove a slightly loose feeling, but the car now rides very well indeed and the 'hard edge' has been eliminated from the ride, with the handling the same as before. It feels less like a go-kart I suppose. I'm absolutely delighted with the result, and if any Excel owners are after a little more comfort then I'd certainly recommend this setup.

Obviously mine is not intended as a trackday car, rather a comfortable fast tourer. I'm getting there!

ATB Richard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.