free hit
counters
Interesting things about different model years - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Chinsterb

Interesting things about different model years

I learned a number of interesting things about my car today, 1985 turbo 

85 was the first year for; vented disks, body coloured bumpers and wing mirrors, i think that the revised suspension for this year is more widely known.

I also found out that radios were not standard and so not always fitted at the factory unless specified, obviously these were then fitted at the dealers.

What other items can be attirbuted to different model years? and what other interesting variations does everyone know of?   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes all those things became factory standard at the start of 1985. Around about that time they changed over from the Giugiaro wing mirrors to the Capri ones. I say about that time as there does seem to be cross over as they got through ones that had been sprayed already? Im not sure but some newer cars have the G mirrors and some older cars have the later Capri ones.

Buddsy

My 82 turbo had body coloured bumpers from new. I know....I stripped all the paint off them!!

I think before 85 it was an option. Still think black bumpers look better than body coloured ones.

Buddsy

I think the wing mirrors are the thing I like least about my car didn't realise they were carpri ones.

I think I have to go with the body colour bumpers!

Is yours the blue one with the red interior? Green nose badge? If so yes you got the Capri type mirrors. When was your car completed? Mine was Feb 1985...30 years ago exactly! I got the black Wiken type badge

GM_Lotus_Badge.jpg

Buddsy

Yes it is the blue with red interior with green and gold nose badge the same shape as yours (is it Wiken or lozenge?) it was completed on 25th July so they must have gotten through the other mirros by then! 

Interesting question though when is a cars brithday? is it when it is signed off from the factory or when it is registered legal for the road?  

I also have an 85 Turbo

I agree with Buddsy, the black bumpers look better and I love the large side decals.

My car needs a respray and I am thinking about plasticoating the bumpers in black afterwards and fitting the large decal stripes. That way it is easily reversible.

My car has the green nose badge.

Didnt know about the mirrors being from a Capri, how can you tell the difference between mirrors?

The Capri ones are kinda oval where they join the door the older G ones are more swept.

IMG_5950.jpg

The Capri one are easier to find. When I bought my car it had broken G ones. I bought some Capri ones off ebay but then found some G ones so used those and sold the Capri ones. I think they are from a Capri Laser?

Buddsy

You will also find the later wing mirrors on a Reliant Scimitar SS1.  I have also seen both early and late wing mirrors on a Scimitar GTE

My 82 turbo had body coloured bumpers from new. I know....I stripped all the paint off them!!

John - your car is one of the 2 in 1982 that had body coloured bumpers from new - mine is not the other one.