free hit
counters
Alternative rear lower link pins? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Jacques

Alternative rear lower link pins?

Hi all,

I would like to ask, if there is any idea in swopping the rear lower link pins to stainless ones, when I will install new upper and lower rear link arms and Lotac poly bushes on my 1990 SE?

As in not wanting them to rust and get too much stuck in there.

Actually, the same goes for the drive axles onto the gearbox.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Jacques, I don't think your lower link pins will get stuck in there provided you follow the correct procedure in the manual. You also don't drive on salted roads. I think you're safe.

As for the driveshaft retaining pins, wouldn't worry about those either considering you'll be changing them every so often (those seals WILL start leaking at some point...) and the conditions you drive in. 

I hear you, but if and when I take it apart (I have seals ready already), is there any problem is substituting exactly these parts with stainless?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

A stainless steel lower link stud may not be a good idea as it will probably result in increased galvanic corrosion of the hub carrier due to it being more cathodic than the OE stud.

stainless replacing anything should not create a corrosion concern. i would be more worried with strength as most ss fasteners are low grade (2 or 5). if grade 8 or better were used, it would be an improvement over standard steel fasteners.

As James said, the strength is the thing to watch.

Also, if you're concerned about electrolytic action, to which Derek alluded earlier, you could do worse than coating the new bolt with Duralac.

Dissimilar metals do cause corrosion. I personally would not risk it unless the stud was suitably plated to isolate the metals.

I know that two different metals can react adn bind, but in only 29 years I've used stainles bolts and bits various place, I've never had galvanic corrosion or any other problems. I will try to find the pins in higher grade stainless. Or use that Duralac, if I can find it.

Thanks for all you help Guys.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Jacques,

IMO, you are correct. When I joined the USAF in 1987, my job was corrosion control on aircraft, missiles (the big ones that dont go on airplanes lol) and support equipment. galvanic corrosion is not a concern with stainless, 304 in particular. some lower grades contain enough ferrous metal to be magnetic but would still be better than standard zinc or other coated steel as far as corrosion prevention goes, strength in applcation is what must be considered.