free hit
counters
S1 radio speaker placement - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

S1 radio speaker placement

Has anybody fitted speakers to an S1? If so, what sort are they and where are they fitted?

I don't fancy having them in the doors as I don't want to start cutting up all that lovely green material.

I'm not looking for a 'Pimp My Ride' stereo system here by the way as I'llprobably fit a period radio in it.

Thanks, Paul.

Edit: Jeez just realised I must be getting close if I'm thinking about fitting a radio!!

Edited by Paul Coleman

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Paul, they work well in the sills (which form a large enclosure and are easy to isolate). If you choose to have the speakers visible it looks pimptastically '70s, or you could install them flat and carpet over.

For what it's worth, the factory speakers were in the door panels above the armrest and forward of the handle. They were either 2x8 or 3x8; either way, the size is obsolete. Marcasite cars had holes punched in the fabric for the sound, but otherwise the speakers were hidden behind the fabric.

Let me know if you want pictures of anything I am describing. :)

Thanks for the info Tony. I'm thinking about mounting a speaker in each door but have it hidden behind the foam and green fabric but I'm not sure how well they will sound?

Mine are as Tony describes. Difficult to get the correct oval size but sound is ok, but not as good as the sound the engine makes!

You're not going to hear them very well when the car's running so I wouldn't get too bothered about sound quality. I have a speaker mounted at the base of the bulkhead on the outside of each of the seats as well as the ones in the doors. 

Theres actually two cut outs in the bulkhead for speakers as Peter described. It may even have speaker cables run already in the original hardness. My S1 did.

I thought it was from the S3 onwards that the speakers were in the bulkhead behind the seats?

In the doors, only way that looks good I reckon is as factory, behind the fabric and with the holes punched in. Anything else looks too modern and aftermarket, ruining the 70s aesthetic.

Edited by Freemason

Perhaps the 4 speaker system was an option for all models?

My ('82 s3) only has the door speakers.

The original door cards were covered in velour (foam removed from speaker cutout area, but had no holes punched for sound enhancement, so I've left the new leather covers without holes for now, figuring the newer speakers I've got in it will be much better anyway.

That's if I ever bother putting the stereo on!