free hit
counters
Clocked Car (not a Lotus!) - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Clocked Car (not a Lotus!)

My 17 year old daughter just bought her first car, saved up the money for the car and insurance herself over the last few years  – a 02 Renault Clio. She’s obviously very excited.

It seemed tidy enough, but even so I thought I would run a HPI check just to make sure it had not been written off in the past, just for my own piece of mind.

Turns out it has a mileage alert on it – at least 25k was knocked off it between 04 and 08, so what that means (in my mind) is she has paid too much for it. We could walk away from it and get our money back, because we have only paid a small deposit, but she really likes it – it’s her first car after all. I am going to try to negotiate the price down a bit more, but if that fails I think she is still going to want the car!

Its an old car at the end of the day, but even so - I don't want to see her ripped off. The car is £900.00.

You are all wise people – what would you do?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think judge it on condition, at that age you could get one with half the mileage thats been bounced up every kerb, clutch slipped at every light or wheel spun tound asda car park, it could be a clock change or domething innocent?? Ive had the mot guys key in the wrong mileage back in the day that messed the searches up later on.

I'd also say if there is a valid mot with no advisories, everything works and good tyres and brakes, it might still be an ok buy. Although like you, I would also be trying to negotiate some further discount. I also bought daughters 1st car last year and couldn't believe the milage was genuine - I found a 55 plate Peageot 206 with only 16K miles and paid £1000 for it. After the checks, turned out it was genuine and a 1 owner 85 year old lady retiring from driving who'd been doing a once a week post office trip. Last 5 MOTs showed around 550 miles between each of them. Good luck.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Agree with the other comments re price negotiation.

Don't ignore however the fact that when she is bored with the car(and that will happen with first car!!) you will have a more difficult time selling it for the same reason as you are finding.

Apart from that buy the car!!

Mark

I wouldn't be haggling over a £900 car that over 10 years old, it's the condition and not the mileage you should be looking at.

Also the same should apply to a HPI check, I would only consider getting one on a car over £5k.

If your daughter wants the car then go for it.

Also if I were you I would offer advise to your daughter but also support her on her decisions etc. after all, she's a young adult now and it's all part of life's journey and learning, sometimes from mistakes. Hopefully though, this won't be one of them!

Regards

David

Is it a simple as the speedo being replaced? Happens here sometimes and new speedo is not put back with same mileage as old one.

You could always take the unit out and correct the mileage, can't you?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I recently had an issue with a car I was selling and HPI. They take into account the DVLA/MOT history but also run their own mileage history service called National Mileage Register.

The NMR gets their data from asking traders, previous owners and generally scraping data from anywhere about car mileages. IE if you get recovered at any point and the firm makes a note of the mileage that could end up as a record against your car. Accurate or otherwise

With my old Audi it had a random 90k mileage record in 2013 when it was closer to 80k. I owned the car at the time so i know it never had a speedo swap/got clocked etc but it still caused a headache when selling it. I had to conact the HPI company with all the proof of MOT/Service history data before they removed the error, if I hadnt had that information to hand I would have been stuffed by a record of a mileage that was entered by somebody who I know had never seen the car..

Ive got no idea where the 90k mileage record came from still, could have been a lazy trader or a previous owner making a guess. Maybe it was when I entered a rough mileage in for an insurance quote.. very annoying!

Edited by Ryanmt

Thanks for al your opinions.

Interesting what you said Ryan because the mileage alert in question relates to the recording of a 74k mileage by a franchised dealer when the car was 14 Months old! Who would buy a Clio if you were doing that sort of mileage?

Taking into account the condition for its age and the fact is has 11 Months MOT were picking it up tomorrow. We can sort out whatever happens from there.

Agree that its not worth haggling over £900.00 - Ruddy insurance is scary though .....

Robin.

Just tried Gogirl and it came out about the same - £2.5k third party fire & theft. We are gong to try a good old fashioned insurance broker tomorrow and see what that throws up...

Thanks again.

Just tried Gogirl and it came out about the same - £2.5k third party fire & theft. We are gong to try a good old fashioned insurance broker tomorrow and see what that throws up...

Thanks again.

Fully comp is cheaper than 3rd party in many cases nowadays. Try a requote

I paid £1300 fully comp on that 1.4l Peugeot for main driver 17 year old. Try to get as many named drivers on the policy as possible even if they have no intention of driving it. (Max 5 I think)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!