free hit
counters
Gear cable upgrade/advice - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Glyn Harper

Gear cable upgrade/advice

Hey chaps.

I've got an 88 Esprit, and the gearchange mechanism could with with a bit of an overhaul, simply due to age.

The rear parts attached to the gearbox already has the solid part to replace the big ball and shaft thing (if that makes sense) but it's still not great.

I actually have a brand new gear selector mechanism from the later style gearbox, which I suspect is from the V8 or GT3. Don't have the part number, but I could post a photo if that helps.

I know that at some point they change the gearbox so one cable went to one side, and the other cable went to the other side of the gearbox, and this was meant to be a much better mechanism.

What I'm wondering is, was there a time where the older two cable to the same side setup was used with the later gearshift selector mechanism, so I can get the matching cables?

I think using the later selector mecahism will give me a much better gearchange.. but only if I can get the correct bowden cables to connect it to the rear.

Hope this makes sense to someone!!

Cheers,

Glyn.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The revised gear lever master unit uses different cables, gearbox selector lever and cross shaft along with a few brackets too.

Ok, thanks for that. So if I try and get hold of a later V8 box that's possibly a solution?

As my box sounds quite whiney, I'm going to need another at some point anyway.

I can probably use the parts guide to find the extra brackets I'll need.

Having said all this, is the later mechanism that much better, and therefore worth the effort does anyone know?

Edited by Glyn Harper

Believe the chassis was updated too as my old GT3 was the first car with the revised gear change according to the parts manual and had a different part number for the chassis, same for the V8 too.

Glyn, there have been at least four iterations of the overall gearchange mechanism, so you need to be a bit more specific about which new bits you have on hand. A photo would definitely help.

Sorry for the delay, here's the selector mechanism I have. I'm hoping to be able to use this with a standard '88 turbo box if possible, by using the matching bowden cables.

gear1.jpg

gear2.jpg

gear3.jpg

That's a '98 on master unit. You will not be able to use it with a standard '88 gearbox as the gearbox selector lever and cross shaft are different (along with a couple of brackets).

Ok, thanks for that.

So would a V8 gearbox fit my engine and chassis? I read that the GT3 gearbox won't handle the torque on the 2.2 engines.

It's sounding like a load of hassle though compared to just trying to service my existing setup properly with some decent parts.

The V8 gearbox will fit, you would have to swap bellhousings. I did this swap on my SE using a replacement tailhousing, and ended up fabricating new brackets and a new muffler bracket. Not trivial. I have never seen pictures of how they implemented it in the later GT3 cars, I would be curious to see the changes.

Edited by sanj

Sounds like it's not going to be something I'll tackle then. that's a shame. I was hoping it was just a case of using the new front part with the correct cables.. but I guess as they changed it all together there won't be any correct cables.

I think  You need   2 new gear cables  and  you need to  replace the  end of the gear box (I don't know what it call ) easy task

if you can get the parts :)

Yasuo