free hit
counters
fire on the m11 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mikeeech

fire on the m11

Just came up the M11 today from London and it was down to 1 lane... whilst the fire brigade put out the front of a Scimitar GTE which had caught fire. This being a glass fibre car meant there was nothing much left of the owners obvious pride and joy.

I made a mental note to fit an under bonnet fire extinguisher.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You wouldn't believe this but I've just bought and installed mine today.

Edited by CharlieCroker
  • Like 1

MIke - I've got one of these in my Esprit.

jjc_extingusherdeal_kit.jpg

It's a necessity, don't leave home without one.

100% agree with this.

Chris

Just came up the M11 today from London and it was down to 1 lane... whilst the fire brigade put out the front of a Scimitar GTE which had caught fire. This being a glass fibre car meant there was nothing much left of the owners obvious pride and joy.

I made a mental note to fit an under bonnet fire extinguisher.

This was my 1978 Scimitar GTE. Suspect a fuel line rupture or carb overflow. Total front end of car detroyed. Very sad day but at least my wife and I escaped unhurt. We did have a fire extinguisher (not under bonnet) but was totally ineffective. This is how the car looked last week!!

post-18604-0-19889400-1425469825.jpg

• Like 1

:no

Looks mint too. Very sorry to hear...

• Like 1

Very sad. Glad to know your OK. Shame about the car, I had one of these myself and loved it... On the bright side have you ever thought of an elite???

• Like 1

Plenty of love here for the Scimitar. Looked very nice. Sad but glad you got out safely.

Buddsy

• Like 1

Welcome to TLF Gavin. :welcome:

Just a sad first post. Glad you and your wife are safe.

It is a sad affair when something like this happens.

When a car has survived 35+ years to be wiped out in minutes by an underbonnet fire is a wake up call to all of us who own a classic car particularly one made of fibreglass.

The insurance company will pay out and the car can be replaced at some stage but it would never be the same would it?

The investment of a plumbed in fire extinguisher system would not prevent some damage I am certain, but for the sum £99 for the kit available on "Fleabay" it could have saved the car.

It makes one think does it not.

What a lovely car that was

Cars are replaceable and people are not - so glad you guys got out.

Go for a lotus next as a change - it's well worth a punt....

Once again many thanks for all of the kind comments - Lotus drivers are obviously nice people!! Have bought another car, sorry not a Lotus but have kept British.post-18604-0-11304300-1427617751.jpgpost-18604-0-69679000-1427617795.jpgpost-18604-0-97495500-1427617826.jpgpost-18604-0-78398800-1427617858.jpgpost-18604-0-76379300-1427617891.jpgpost-18604-0-72708700-1427617924.jpgpost-18604-0-94468100-1427617957.jpg

I feel your pain, this happened to me a couple of years ago, I now have one extinguisher in the boot by the engine and another at the back of my seat, also the first thing I put in the wifes M100, but as commented, at least you both got out safe.

Nice mg - I'm a triumph man through and through - so can't get too excited........

Lovely looking order will sure be fun....... Tax free soon as well

I had a 72 MG Midget great little car apart from the dreaded rust which seeded to appear from no where around the door pillar from time to time no matter what I tried...this led to me looking for a classic bike as they dont suffer in the same way as old MGs...that led me to GRP cars and back home to the local car company Lotus. A car I never dreamed I would be able to buy.

Buddsy

Yep - it's mad what you can get for the money......shhh it's a secret

That's a nice looking MG Gavin and in the best colour.

I'm sure the MG guys are a nice lot as well... But maybe you can join "our bunch" next time.

Nice MG Gavin. :thumbsup:

Starting to make me think though. I can't find kits on eBay. Does anyone have a search term they can tell me?

"Lifeline" search should pull something up

Yes it did. Lots of rope. :hrhr:

Ah. Tried again a little differently and have found them now. Ta. Going to ask around in Australia. They have to be here somewhere.