free hit
counters
Proof my s1's panels never fitted from new! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
yamaha_rd500v4

Proof my s1's panels never fitted from new!

I was sent these photos by the second owner of my s1, he bought it from the first owner who only kept it for a couple of months before selling it on.

Note it had already lost its pod wing mirror after only a couple of months. Also of note are the passenger door fit (or lack of!), rear boot lid O/S fit, rear boot screen surround top and front screen surround top corners.

The second owner only kept it for six months, it was no good in the snow in Berlin where he was working at the time! (hence the GB sticker)

I guess the first cars deserved their build quality reputation!

226112db08e77fb570503104576f0abe_zpsca2a

aa6479838564bd63144e5e174b49b050_zps46f2

353dbd5b4fd1a80d28cce8dfb55d7f02_zpsfedf

Edited by 0124G

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great nostalgic pictures.  Look at the lack of cars parked on the roads and no yellow lines either !

Was this in the UK ?

They didn't have robots building cars in the seventies, all cars were hand built so had similar issues back then. At least yours hasn't rusted away like 99% of other cars built in those times :)

Is there still dog hair under the passenger seat?

Wow, wish I had some period pics like these of my car! 

Wonder how she's looking now...

Wonky panels are a long Lotus tradition. One door on the original Elan never fitted.

Wow, wish I had some period pics like these of my car!

Wonder how she's looking now...

The chassis looks great hanging up in my workshop roof! Let's just say it in its later years it had a very hard life including front end damage, boy racer stick on carbon fibre sheets, and ended up being left in a field with the window down for a 12 months....

One day I'll get time to restore it and make the decision, keep it red or respray in white. By rights being so early I should keep it red.

Edited by 0124G

Love the font on the front number plate and the shaggy dog! Another vote for red, too many white ones now.

• Like 1

I would have liked to have seen the gap between the front of the bonnet and the bodywork - you could nearly fall down mine!!

124G rings a bell with me. How long have you had the car? I reckon I nearly bought 124G about 10 years ago? It was up north somewhere?

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Another vote for red :)

Yep, not really a tight gap on the panels is there!!

Have a look at the bonnet gaps!

post-237-0-62527800-1425508259.jpg

post-237-0-77005000-1425508062.jpg

post-237-0-92851000-1425508089.jpg

Always the original color please. So we don't ended up all with the same color. 

Bonnet and door gap is common on the S1s