free hit
counters
Photos... about time! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
kehoeautomotive

Photos... about time!

A90DAD05-F20D-45A4-A943-BC90100512E4_zps44EC4BCE-B095-47B8-BF10-C70143295616_zps

I spent my morning working in my friend's carport. I almost have it driveable under it's own power. As soon as we do I will take it to my workshop and stick it on the lift! 10 years without moving. Sooo sad. Fixed up the brakes today. They were all locked up. I cleaned up the brake calipers today and flushed the brake fluid. (I just rebuilt the master cylinder in my car the other day; I might have to do his too). His brakes feel great now.

The fuel pump started whining today and the car died. I suspect the pump was damaged from sitting up. I drained the fuel tank (no trash came out) and replaced the fuel filter but I'm afraid it will need a new pump. Do the fuel pumps typically give a loud whine when they go out or is the pump starving for fuel from a clogged pickup or fuel line? It's a Bosch CIS vehicle. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did you drain the old fuel via the bolt on the bottom of the RH tank, or by clamping and removing the hose leading to the first fuel pump? The hose method would assure that you have flow to the pumps.

On these cars you need to inspect the sockets for the fuel pump relays, excess current draw can result in melted/bad connections.

Typically, ONE failed pump results more in driveability problems (low fuel pressure) than a no-start.

Don't forget to K.I.S.S., reset the inertia switch in the relay box before you tear your hair out!  :huh:

PS, good move, getting the brakes working first. Do you know how difficult it is to push a car back into the carport with locked brakes?   LOL

Or pushing a car with no brakes and then watching as your pride and joy runs into something because it won't stop. (experience. I was young)

Did you drain the old fuel via the bolt on the bottom of the RH tank, or by clamping and removing the hose leading to the first fuel pump? The hose method would assure that you have flow to the pumps.

On these cars you need to inspect the sockets for the fuel pump relays, excess current draw can result in melted/bad connections.

Typically, ONE failed pump results more in driveability problems (low fuel pressure) than a no-start.

Don't forget to K.I.S.S., reset the inertia switch in the relay box before you tear your hair out!  :huh:

PS, good move, getting the brakes working first. Do you know how difficult it is to push a car back into the carport with locked brakes?   LOL

Good point on the pump wiring. The fuel pump has a full 13.5 volts and a good ground. Whatever is worng with it it's mechanical. I would say bad pump or clogged fuel line. I drained it at the tank not the line but we ran the vehicle for about an hour total during other testing. I will drop the fuel pump and check it this weekend. 

Is there more than one pump with the Bosch CIS? It's the external pump under the car on the right side that is whining. If I let the car suck in a little fuel at the air intake it will keep running so I am confident it has a fuel issue. I will test fuel pressure and volume when I get a chance. If bad I will pull out the pump and check the lines more carefully.

Thanks for the advice. I know little about these vehicles but I think my Rabbit has the same CIS system on it and I am VERY familiar with it. 

I will post up my results.  :D

Or pushing a car with no brakes and then watching as your pride and joy runs into something because it won't stop. (experience. I was young)

You can't leave that one without telling us more! What happened?

I've decided that I am going to pull the vehicle to my shop with my special patented Lotus Tow Vehicle! This LTV was made by Ford! Lol...

39C755B0-A22D-498E-8337-BDE6F9E4C268_zps

Is there more than one pump with the Bosch CIS? It's the external pump under the car on the right side that is whining. If I let the car suck in a little fuel at the air intake it will keep running so I am confident it has a fuel issue. I will test fuel pressure and volume when I get a chance. If bad I will pull out the pump and check the lines more carefully.

You probably got intimate with BOTH pumps (and the fuel accumulator) when you replaced the fuel filter, they are all in that little area under the RF engine bay. I've never owned a car with a fuel filter that was so difficult to change. (Now, the GM MPFI owners are laughing, because theirs is right up on top.)

The pumps cross to Porsche pieces.

Bosch 0580-254-967  Primary

Bosch 0580-254-979 Secondary

With the K-Jetronic CIS system (as you must know from the Rabbit) adequate fuel delivery depends on a "tight" intake system.  Any leaks reduce the air force on the metering plate in the MCU (mixture control unit) which reduces the fuel supplied.   Is the plate free to swing with little or no pressure, no binding?

Further, if the two RPM sensing relays are bad, you will also have problems. (One of the relays needs to "see" ignition pulses, or fuel delivery will be shut down.)

Make sure that the brown wires from the battery (+) are tight and corrosion free.

You may not be seeing a true 13.5 V, there is feedback in the fuel pump circuits I've found.  It's amperage that you need, to drive those pumps...

Also, if the fuel injectors are partially clogged you will have running problems. 10 years off the road is a long time.

PS: I had a CIS Audi that had a screaming fuel pump for two years, so that may not be an indicator of poor operation.

You probably got intimate with BOTH pumps (and the fuel accumulator) when you replaced the fuel filter, they are all in that little area under the RF engine bay. I've never owned a car with a fuel filter that was so difficult to change. (Now, the GM MPFI owners are laughing, because theirs is right up on top.)

The pumps cross to Porsche pieces.

Bosch 0580-254-967  Primary

Bosch 0580-254-979 Secondary

With the K-Jetronic CIS system (as you must know from the Rabbit) adequate fuel delivery depends on a "tight" intake system.  Any leaks reduce the air force on the metering plate in the MCU (mixture control unit) which reduces the fuel supplied.   Is the plate free to swing with little or no pressure, no binding?

Further, if the two RPM sensing relays are bad, you will also have problems. (One of the relays needs to "see" ignition pulses, or fuel delivery will be shut down.)

Make sure that the brown wires from the battery (+) are tight and corrosion free.

You may not be seeing a true 13.5 V, there is feedback in the fuel pump circuits I've found.  It's amperage that you need, to drive those pumps...

Also, if the fuel injectors are partially clogged you will have running problems. 10 years off the road is a long time.

PS: I had a CIS Audi that had a screaming fuel pump for two years, so that may not be an indicator of poor operation.

Yes.... you HAVE delt with Bosch CIS as well I can see! I will do further testing but my capabilities are limited in my friend's carport. I will do some testing and post up some of my findings. Thanks for the help! I've heard "loud" pumps as well but this one is "LOUD". Lol!

Thank you for the free advice. I will use it!

I changed the fuel filter and checked out the loud fuel pump problem. Someone had spliced in a T fitting on the fuel pump feed line. Some trash got into the inlet from cutting the line. Weird why it was there, I have no idea. I cleaned the trash out, and changed the fuel filter again and the car is running great again and the fuel pump no longer makes noise. if it happens again, I will replace it.

I drove the car under it's own power again and decided that the Throw Out Bearing for the clutch is making WAY to much noise. We ordered a throw out bearing and a rear main engine oil seal today and we will install those parts this weekend. Had so much fun making the car run again that taking the transmission MUST BE EVEN MORE FUN! Yeah!  :turned: I saw a post that told me I could leave the transmisison in the car and just push it back, so i think I will try that.

^^^  Uh-Oh, Shipwright's Disease. :help:

^^^  Uh-Oh, Shipwright's Disease. :help:

Ok... I'll bite. What is Shipwright's Disease? Mr. Atwell "Bosch CIS Expert Extreme" what's up with that? I cleaned my hands and wore gloves before I worked on it!

Shipwright's disease:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to change bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.
Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

:vava::ouch::pirate:

I seem to be guilty of that as well!

All too easy on something close to the heart...