free hit
counters
Correct alternator for S2.2? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
directordanw

Correct alternator for S2.2?

So much choice, and so many different opinions!  The alternator in my Éclat S2.2 is definitely on the fritz - only 12v at the battery, less at load - so needs replacing.  SJs do a reconditioning service but I'm impatient.  Does anyone know the correct model, and somewhere that stocks them?  Checked eBay etc. and there's often a slightly grey area as to whether the units are for 2l or 2.2l engines - and according to the parts manuals these two are not interchangeable.  It would make logical sense for an Excel alternator to fit an S2.2 no? And before you cry 'why not pull your alternator and look for a model number?', the car's in London, and I'm in Glasgow.  I'd love to order one and fit it at the weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Dan, don't know if this is of any help, in the workshop manual the alternator listed for 2.2 elite and éclat is a 70amp Motorola unit. Series 1 elite & Eclat without aircon = lucas 45 amp. Up to 1976 with aircon. =. Chrysler 60 amp. And early 1976 series 1 onwards with aircon = Motorola 55 amp

Regards Dan