free hit
counters
How can you tell a gearbox is bad? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How can you tell a gearbox is bad?

Drfatz

I found a guy who has a used UN1 box which he pulled out of a wrecked Esprit. The has no idea of the mileage or condition of the box. Currently it is sitting on the floor of his garage. Any advice on what to look for in a used UN1 box? Keep in mind its not hooked up to anything so all I can do is turn it by hand and play with the selector lever :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a guy who has a used UN1 box which he pulled out of a wrecked Esprit. The has no idea of the mileage or condition of the box. Currently it is sitting on the floor of his garage. Any advice on what to look for in a used UN1 box? Keep in mind its not hooked up to anything so all I can do is turn it by hand and play with the selector lever :)

Graham,

You should be able to select the gears still with the translator at the tail shaft of the box. Remember though, with no real load on it, the box won't give much indication of synchro condition. I couldn't tell you which way for which gear but you should be able to select the gears, you may need a long screwdriver for leverage but should be able to select the gears and spin the input shaft and see if the drive shafts turn. A real expert should chime in, I'd think Travis (Vulcan Grey) would know!

Artie

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I love this kind of question. "How can you tell a gearbox is bad"?

Is it when it has an ASBO and keeps swearing at Grannies? :)

I can see the new TV show now: When gearboxes go bad!!

....................I'll get me coat................

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

just playing gearboxes now, got two un1's in bits ere and 3 six speed getrag transaxles on the go. Apart from selecting all the gears test, i reckon a quick check of its blood gives a reasonable idea of its life before. so drain the oil out of it, take a squizz at it. it can only help.

if its convenient, take each end off and have a look.

just playing gearboxes now, got two un1's in bits ere and 3 six speed getrag transaxles on the go. Apart from selecting all the gears test, i reckon a quick check of its blood gives a reasonable idea of its life before. so drain the oil out of it, take a squizz at it. it can only help.

if its convenient, take each end off and have a look.

Okay so I just found out that the car which the gearbox was pulled from caught fire! This concerns me because now I have no clue how hot the transmission got. I wonder what would happen if the gearbox heated up to the point where the housing started to warp....this thing could be a $500 paper weight now :)

I would have thought the outside of the box would give a reasonble indication - if it's covered in grubby oily grime still then it hasn't been cleaned and the chances are it didn't get particularly hot.

If it did get a bit too hot the only the only thing likely to warp as a result would be the bell which is easily changed over with another. The seals on he drive shaft are made of plastic and the rubber boots on the gear selector are ummm rubber, both of these would be damaged by heat before the box.

it's worth engaging a gear on the unit and turning the input shaft by hand to ensure it turns nice and smooth, be aware there is naturally what feels like a bit of play in it if you wind it one way then the next.

Hey, can anyone smell fuel?????

I would have thought the outside of the box would give a reasonble indication - if it's covered in grubby oily grime still then it hasn't been cleaned and the chances are it didn't get particularly hot.

If it did get a bit too hot the only the only thing likely to warp as a result would be the bell which is easily changed over with another. The seals on he drive shaft are made of plastic and the rubber boots on the gear selector are ummm rubber, both of these would be damaged by heat before the box.

it's worth engaging a gear on the unit and turning the input shaft by hand to ensure it turns nice and smooth, be aware there is naturally what feels like a bit of play in it if you wind it one way then the next.

I am told by the owner of the box that it turns but with a bit of "resistance"...I am going tomorrow to look at it, which of course is why I am asking all of these questions. Could the drive shaft seals cause this resistance if they were melted? I was hoping to get this gearbox and change out some parts with the one I currently have sort of use the two of them to make one good one.

I am told by the owner of the box that it turns but with a bit of "resistance"...I am going tomorrow to look at it, which of course is why I am asking all of these questions. Could the drive shaft seals cause this resistance if they were melted? I was hoping to get this gearbox and change out some parts with the one I currently have sort of use the two of them to make one good one.

Well, no gearbox when spun by hand would NOT be resistant. Look at the gaitor on the translator and see if it's melted, if it is it got hot. I agree with looking at the fluid too, the drained fluid should give decent indication of care. It's a little bit of a craps shoot, theoretcally, heat shouldn't do that much damage if the car was burining in place! The housings which are cast aluminum could warp though and cause problems with all the fitting internally.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

It's only "bad" if it's beyond being rebuilt. That being said, if the cost of rebuilding is greater than the total cost of a different unit from another source, then yes, it's junk, in my eyes. If the case is cracked, done. holes in the case? done. creatures living in it? done. Pretty much everything else can be replaced or refurbished. Kicking it while it lies on the garage floor is really not the best way of diagnosing a tranny's condition. Figure out what it would cost to rebuild before taking it home. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

So I picked up the transmission today...its a little beat to say the least. The case is obviously shot, I believe that it warped due to the heat from the fire. However, the internals see to be okay since they are made of steel. Only time will really tell and at the least the rear housing with the selector shaft is intact and seems to be okay (mine was all beat up because of the accident). I will post some pictures whenever I get some batteries for my camera!