free hit
counters
Can't engage gears - clutch problem - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peteyg

Can't engage gears - clutch problem

Hi all,

Just after some pointers. Car broke down today for the first time since I can remember. Drove to work and slowly it became harder and harder to engage any gear until I couldn't get anything at all with the engine running. Managed to limp to our work car park and needed to abandon her until I can get back tomorrow with the RAC recovery truck (though not sure how we're going to load it!). 

I haven't had a chance to investigate but some ideas would be useful to save time. there was fluid in the resevoir, I have a braided clutch hose. No obvious leak from either cylinder. Pumping the clutch pedal made no difference. Starting the engine with a gear engage make the car move but then can't disengage the gear. Didn't hear any nasty noises before this happened and she's been running fine until this morning.

Hopefully something simple...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd have a look at the clutch master cylinder first if it were me.

As above, get someone to watch the slave & see if it's operating when you depress the clutch.

No release bearing type noises at all? Mine screeched a bit when pulling away spiritedly, but it didn't give up as you describe

Dave

No screeching or nasty noises (apart from crunching gears when trying to engage).

Please Peter,

Whatever you do, do not try to engage and drive as long as you have not found the problem.

I had a  leaking slave cilinder , when I first drove the car to MOT in 2011. It would not engage and I tried to reach home.

In the end, a stupid leaking slave cilinder that is a really simple and cheap DIY fix, did cost me a very expensive revision of the citroen gearbox at Harry Martens. If I had been a smart boy, this shouldnt have happened, but the car was new to me then. SO DONT LET THE GEARS CRUNCH, I DID.

Indeed, start by pressing the clutch pedal and look in the back , if you see the slave move the clutchhandle.

If it does, no need to change slavecilinder, mastercilinder, oil or braided hose.

But that would mean, that the problem is within the clutch itself, so removing the gearbox/clutch assembly is needed.

If pressing the pedal doesn't move the slavecilinder in the back, you are lucky.

To be honest, if the oil is present and at level, I am afraid it will be inside the clutch housing.

Nothing difficult there, but removing the gearbox is a bit of a serious job.

Keep us posted

Geert

Edited by gvy

Thanks for the warning Geert!

Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  I had exactly this when I cam back from Silverstone last year, like you a gradual loss of being able to change gear, the peddle felt fine and there was liquid in the reservoir.  I changed the Clutch Master and Slave cylinder and all is now OK.

I hope this helps.

Alec

Right, I now no have a slight grinding noise with engine running and clutch pedal pressed. RAC man reckons either clutch plate or release bearing. Both cylinders are working fine. We tried adjusting the mechanism but no joy so going to be dropping the gearbox. Clutch has done about 60k miles. Never done anything like this before so it'll be fun!

Succes,

I never took out just the gearbox on my S2.2.

I have 2 times removed engine/gearbox ensemble.

This is what you will see inside:

engine side

IMG_20140912_214747_zpsf84c900a.jpg

gearboxside:

IMG_20140912_223248_zpsc1f8225f.jpg

The clutch drivingplate, clutch pressure plate

IMG_20140912_212510_zps4e39eb9a.jpg

Thanks Geert. I'm not going to remove the engine, just the gearbox. I was planning to replace the rear springs anyway so I'll have some more space with those out of the way. She's safely back in the garage now so just need to find some time. I'll be back with questions soon hopefully. Pete

• Like 1

Well, here's the culprit....lunched spigot bearing!

IMG_2092_zpsdv7y9wa6.jpg

That'll make your shaft go all floppy. Good spannering.

• Like 1