free hit
counters
Esprit S1 Exhaust Manifold Crack – MOT Failure? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GordonMasson

Esprit S1 Exhaust Manifold Crack – MOT Failure?

The engine is back in my S1 after its rebuild and it turns out that the exhaust manifold has a crack in it.

I don’t have the car in Aberdeen at the moment so I don’t know how bad it is but can anyone confirm if it’s an MOT failure? …..I assume it is?

Its an SJ stainless manifold and it was on the car before the engine was taken out so it’s not new. Is it likely that this could be welded?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The down pipe on my Sj manifold cracked and I had it re welded. Chap who did it had no issues.

Oh bugger I have an SJ manifold!! It sounds as though this is a problem? If they welded it to start with you should be able to get it rewelded.

Paul.

Any Stainless Steel manifold can be rewelded by a tig welder. Not a big job.

If you take it of the car and bring it to ashop, I think it's not more then 1h of work

The original cast iron manifold is a problem. I tried but did not succeed to weld it

Geert.

had a stainless tubular manifold welded came to £85

It may well fail an MOT, if it sucks in fresh air the readings on the gas analyser will be off. Being the manifold, its about as far away from the test equipment as you can get so you may be OK.

:)

I think it's an Mot failure if there's any split in the exhaust system.

If it's split on one of the flanges then yes, it's an easy repair for an SS welder. My first manifold was returned twice to SJ because of the same problem and Steve happily had it repaired but the current one has been fine for the last few years.

Pete

They do crack without a flexi put in.

If you think with the manifold pipes being of different lengths, so expanding to different lengths when hot, yet the silencer is mounted rigid to the gearbox so some things got to give some where and some time, a flexi solves this problem.

When you get your manifold repaired I would take the mid pipe to them as well and have a stainless flexi put in the mid pipe.. I've had no problems since I did mine in.

IMG_5058.jpg

I also seal the joints with silicone not putty as it has more give and is easier to take apart if needed.

Matt

They do crack without a flexi put in.

If you think with the manifold pipes being of different lengths, so expanding to different lengths when hot, yet the silencer is mounted rigid to the gearbox so some things got to give some where and some time, a flexi solves this problem.

When you get your manifold repaired I would take the mid pipe to them as well and have a stainless flexi put in the mid pipe.. I've had no problems since I did mine in.

I also seal the joints with silicone not putty as it has more give and is easier to take apart if needed.

Matt

Very good point Matt

Its welded up and back on the car again but perhaps I can some kind of rubber washers at the rear of the mounting plate to allow it to have a little bit of fore / aft movement 

I to welded a stainless steel flexi part in the system to allow for expansion.

I found the flexjoint on line. For those interested It is powersprint 903043, total  length =200mm

IMG_20141025_163413_zps5ffc8172.jpg

IMG_20141025_165003_zps35a46498.jpg

IMG_20141025_165205_zpsd2533e86.jpg