free hit
counters
Lotus elite 2.2 in need of total restoration - Ebay UK - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ebay

Lotus elite 2.2 in need of total restoration

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Much better condition than mine was in, part leather interior too!

Does anybody have a rear Elite S2.2 badge like the one on this car as mine is missing?

that would have been a stunner when new.  35000 miles too....

Oh god...its an elite 2.2 that desperately needs saving and its local...

(must not bid....must not bid....must not bid....!)

I'd guess 135K is a more likely mileage?

Go for it - however much you spend you'll be happier at the end of it!

ATB Richard (once bitten...still tempted!)

Whats the general rule for selling something without a V5? Don't you have to prove you have made reasonable efforts to contact the owner?

I contacted the seller of this car on Ebay....

"Hi, can I confirm this is your car to sell.? Are you the registered keeper? If not what proof of ownership do you have? If I buy this what's stopping the 'tenant' laying claim to the vehicle? "

Reply....

Hi the car was dumped on our land over 4 years ago and he has not bothered.As I put in the info there is no V5 as far as I know all you have to do is apply for a new log book. The other cars that were also dumped have gone with no problems.

Make your own minds up guys...I wouldn't touch it tho'.....

Mike

I asked the same question, the seller refuses to give his telephone number to discuss, very unusual, he does not have legal title to the Elite, to do so he must claim ownership in lieu of rent and must be done through a Solicitor, he has not done so so the car is not his to sell, the legal owner has a claim on the car and can reject a transfer of ownership with DVLA when you send a request for the V5, he can even claim theft if the car is removed from the premises, caveat emptor.

David

Perhaps worth the risk. S2's don't come up often

As Mark states - "Reasonable" effort must be made to contact the previous owner.

You cannot just sell a car on your property.

The new style V5 even states in red that being the holder of the V5 does NOT necessarily entitle you to ownership.

A v888 form has to be applied for which will show who the current owner is.  This is the same form clampers and ticketing agencies use to gain info.  Costs £2.50

After this, you have to contact the owner and give them reasonable notice to remove the vehicle or ask them to transfer ownership to you.

If this isn't done and no contact has been attempted... you run the risk of "The owner" filing a police report that it has been stolen and you could lose the car AND your money.  Seller from ebay walks away scot-free. :rtfm:

...Just saying, buyer beware on this.  Its relatively low value but imagine if it was say a rare Mercedes gullwing and was stored by a friend who slept with his wife and he sold his car in revenge.  :whistle::animier:

This happened with a Lotus Esprit and a Radio1 dj many years ago when he announce over the radio he would drop his wife in an instant to sleep with the guest.   :ouch:

I have to agree with Fueltheburn in this thread. Any buyer of this car would have to be very careful and be prepared to lose or be very lucky.

An incident happened to me years ago with a 16v Golf GTi. that i heard of through the "Gravpevine" It was reasonably priced but not cheap.

The lady selling said the keys and V5 were mislaid. It was a nice house, seemed nice people, nothing to worry about I thought.

It turned out it was a revenge sale, the husband was sleeping around.

I lost the car, money, was arrested by the police and spent 5 hours in custody. Not a nice experience I can tell you.

I would not touch this car with a barge pole unless the agreement of the legal owner is gained in writing.

I lost the car, money, was arrested by the police and spent 5 hours in custody. Not a nice experience I can tell you.

:help: Was there no comeback to the she-witch who sold it then? Surely she couldn't keep your money and her husband keep the car?

What transpired was that the "Police" instructed me to let the guy have his car back "to save further reprocussions" and to request the money back from the woman.

My only answer was a civil matter in County Court which turned out to be a total waste of time and a lot of stress.

I won my case and she was ordered to pay me my money and costs.

It was a hollow victory she never paid a penny.

Shocking, I still cant see how you having his car constitutes theft and her obtaining money by deception does not.

Quite right Mark. At the time I could not see the logic either.

The whole scenario just shows how easy it is for anyone respectable and trusting can get themselves in a situation they would rather not be in. Hence my warning about buying a car without consent of the legal owner.

One time i also bought a Lotus Elite S1 inside the U.K

the car was black, but also very green because it stands inside a garden under a tree for (many years??)

it was a 504 with black leather, without papers,

it was driveable, i told to the owner that he must wait next to the boat (boat to holland) because of the border patrol.

i get up on the boat, and they first come to me, (because the car dont looks like a holliday car hahah LOL)

i have speak about many things about the car, and i had a papers with a sign from the owner,

on the end of it, they say: Okay get on the ship,

so i was very Lucky at that time, but it still was easy to get on the ship,

Well Tocus, you had the "magical" piece of paper signed by the owner.

That would make a difference in my opinion.

Its still border control (patrol) so they are really nasty... but they are doing there job...

The people that are attracted and hired to do that job are not the normal type of people. They are have to be a certain type in my view. It is not a job I would ever contemplate.

Authority unfortunately seems to go to their heads and inevitably makes them obnoxious.

Many of us have come across these people at the airports.

I make no apologies when I say I have a genuine dislike for them.

I am not a villan, I am not a terrorist but why do they make me feel like one?

Rant over. These are my personal views and not intended to influence others.