free hit
counters
Bought an S4S after all these years - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bought an S4S after all these years

paulob1

I believe it puts out 285 and 300 on overboost. If you're used to 400 I imagine it might feel lacking, although last summer I compared my Turbo SE to a 400 hp 12 cylinder Mercedes and found that while the Merc pulled like a horse, it didn't quite feel as wild as the SE - the whole front of my SE lifts when I floor the pedal. The Merc didn't do that (could be the 600kg in weight difference)....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yes good old auto's so damn smooth with the power these days they are a constant urge...I have had big power cars diablo, ridiculous car, basically undriveable, XKR superb, corvettes, great fun, sideways anytime of day, 300 plus Ford Racing Pumas, brilliant, just getting a couple of these rebuilt one with 3500 plus bhp and one as a n/a 230 bhp car, and two more one with 300 bhp and one with a mild 250 bhp, I know don't ask why it just happened that way, love the FRP's they are a lovely car to reminiscent of a lotus s3 but with front wheel drive...

I have to get used to this car first...its not going to be a thrash about car...the pumas are for that...

If the wheel bearing was off wouldn't it be making noise, especially during turns? 

not sure yet it is making a noise at the front, and the off side wheel is wearing odd, so will get it sorted this week...have ordered two bearings anyway...

Edited by paulob1

Diablo eh? It's about the only car I'd consider parting with my Esprits for - purely because it's said to be undriveable. Personally I'd want the pre 93 before assisted steering. Deadly force!

What made you sell it?

both circuits are feed by the one expansion tank, they have their own radiators. The air con pipes don't run thru the chassis, but they run thru the body sill on the passenger side. In your photo the 2 top pipes are the engine cooling circuit, the bottom ones are, 2 for the charge cooler circuit and the other 2 pipes are for the heater matrix. This is the way my S4s is done. If you want to upgrade, do away with the air con and connect the air con rad inline with the charge cooler rad. This will give you more cooling area and it will run with cooler air intake temperatures. This is the way the S300 is setup.

sorry, forgot to mention, the 2 pipes in the middle are for the oil coolers.

Diablo eh? It's about the only car I'd consider parting with my Esprits for - purely because it's said to be undriveable. Personally I'd want the pre 93 before assisted steering. Deadly force!

What made you sell it?

the cost of 3 clutches in less than a year..

thanks for the input guys, its great to be here, i must admit i was full of trepidation when I BOUGHT THE THING.  but now am feeling a whole lot better...should have her running again this week...lots of things to sort though..

gearlinkage replaced all new now...just got to do the gearbox seals...decided the rear end can wait until winter for its restoration as it will be laid up for a few months over winter...then is when we will do the majority of the restoration work...

ordered a cover nearly, just got to pay for it, it will live outside for now as the garage is full of merc Twizy and riley...

I would make sure the check engine light comes on when you turn the key. I spent 2 years unimpressed with the s4s performance. Finally I got the issue resolved. Although I've had cars over 600hp, the s4s feels comparable. The power mine puts out now is too much for the wheels to handle. If I floor it in first or second at 3k the wheels start spinning. Not by dumping the clutch. If yours won't spin the wheels you might have an easy fix.

hmm okay mine is not for sure...its lazy to rev and the turbo weak....the check engine light...where is this..I have seen the engine management light on the top right of the dash is that the one..

spin the wheels in the dry...i must be getting about 200 bhp, its not quick.

more investigation needed, i think it is flooding a bit, maybe an injector is not right and just maybe a plug is playing up...need to get more knowledge...this car is far from right...

Its top right of the dash. Previous owner unplugged mine to fool me. I had 227 hp before I figured it all out.It wouldn't spin the tires.Now its a demon. I had to take the top of the dash off to see the plug. That should be your first act. I spent more than the cost of the car trying to make it faster. In the end, it was in limp mode the whole time. The repair parts were 200$. Also, if you're only getting 1/2 bar of boost maybe the boost solenoid is stuck. Its between the wastegate and turbo. There's a rubber hose from turbo to solenoid to wastegate.

Edited by bens4s

I think it might be on the SE Mark, but not on the S4s, they're definitely connected, single header tank.

On the S4s and late S4, the only way the chargecooler circuit and engine cooling circuit are connected is by an air bleed tube from the chargecooler to the header tank. There is no exchange of coolant and you can lose coolant in either system without affecting the other.

1995 S4s

Just get Espritmon running and send us a log. We'll hopefully know more by then.

I too was sold my car with a warning light unplugged (taped with black tape and cloth in my case). Always ensure all the warning lights are on when you turn on the ignition :)

Also, yes, it should probably be spinning the wheels in the dry. My Turbo SE with its 264 hp does this in first and second...your 285/300 should definitely be up to the task. Might be hard if you have fresh and grippy tires though. 

On the S4s and late S4, the only way the chargecooler circuit and engine cooling circuit are connected is by an air bleed tube from the chargecooler to the header tank. There is no exchange of coolant and you can lose coolant in either system without affecting the other.

Because the two circuits are connected by the air bleed pipe, they are both kept under pressure by the header tank pressure cap. If the chargecooler circuit is compromised, say by a hole in a pipe, the pressure in the common system will be released, and coolant would flow back up the air bleed tube and back into the leaking chargecooler circuit. How much is not material because the net loss of system pressure would cause the coolant to boil, and overflow.

Margate Exotics.

hey guys great....the top right light is working....we had to change the lambda sensor to stop it from coming on....Mark checked this with me there...I need to get the cable and software to read it, where can i get this from...I will check the hoes from the turbo to the solenoid to the waste gate...hopefully something simple is amiss...

I must be running close to 200 bhp at the moment because she is not fast... but that light does come on and works...so will try the turbo,  certainly feel a bit of a urge when the turbo kicks in and a blip at 3000 rpm, but she is nothing like you describe...I do hope its that because so far she feels mediocre, and I WAS EXPECTING FIREWORKS...

The cable is available from Lotus Esprit World, and the software I think is linked from the homepage there. You should be feeling more than a bit of urge at 3000 - from just below there the needle should flick to 1 bar and, depending on driving conditions, hold steady at 0,8 or 0,9 (check your handbook) as long as you keep your foot planted. It shouldnt flick to high boost and then go back down to very low boost just as suddenly (its normal for the needle to sometimes briefly overshoot 1 bar), and nor should the needle slowly sink while you've got the pedal depressed all the way.

not on mine yet...but coming, the carpet was under the acclerator pedal number 1, stopping it getting full throttle...but still she isnt as fast as i was hoping, 2 the rear end is all done parts all sprayed and treated nicely, seals done polybushes fitted.

the engine is now boosting to around .75 bar, and i have still not floored her, she slows rapidly once she gets to 140 mph...

still have to do the front end before i turn my attention to the engine proper...

things I suspect, spark plug and injector faults...with a full tank she smelt of petrol...maybe a leak somewhere...

loads more to do...seats off for repair next month..

Paul,

do a search on tank breather hoses, they are known to perish, leading to a fuel smell on the cabin.

OTOH, the tanks are also prone to rust out through sitting on water-soaked sponge, obviously a much more risky situation.

Hope it's the former...

Once you've gotten Freescan you can check whether pushing the pedal all the way down gives you 100% throttle. A LOT of owners have had their cars for years thinking they were sluggish, then discovered they were getting up to 90% on WOT and no more. Magical things happen above 95%. 

Fuel smell - as Davey said, breather hoses. On my car however, it was the hose to the roll-over valve. If you pop off the right hand side buttress panel and take a peek, you'll see there's a U-shaped bit of silicone hose running from the fuel filler neck to a roll-over valve. If there is not a U-shaped piece of hose, but a remnant of silicon hose leading nowhere, that's your culprit :)

Let me know if you want me to dig up a pic. But it'll become obvious once you've opened it up!

thanks Guys, it is the breather hose, will sort that .

done the rear end and sealed the gearbox drive shafts.. poly bushes make the rear feel a bit better but have highlighted the front is still a bit wayward...need to get that done next...

treated the rear components to a nice rub down and respray, will remove the whole rear end end of season and rebuild it properly and galvanize/ spray any long term components...

ordering the front bushes and will rebuild the front end then take it to be tracked, have been hearing the tracking needs to be altered from factory a tad...can anyone confirm this and if the new all fancy tracking machines can do it......

once that is done, and she is running as i think she should brakes and steering and suspension wise I will start on the engine.  Will be ordering stage 6 from Marcus at PUK plus air filter and then see where we go from there...

How often do i need to do the cam belt...need to get myself a manual I guess...I will certainly be going for the 6 pot brake system...done ever want to be lacking in brakes...

Anyone tell me the service schedule...she needs plugs i suspect and maybe new leads I also want to take the red bits off and tart them up...

Edited by paulob1

You should upgrade to a full member. You'd be getting 10% off parts with many main dealers (including our shop) and a free download of the parts manual too.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.