free hit
counters
Fork off - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

This is a real shot in the dark - but lets give it a try....

Does anyone have - to purchase - a clutch release fork? The part nr is AO82Q4026J

Mine is - like - very broken.

And - no - I'm not scrapping / selling the car.  I love it too much

Many thanks for any advice regarding tracking this part down

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not an uncommon issue, I thought they were still available. Try PNM or if you need it quick the SJ Sportscars.

Trevor.

I bought one a couple of months ago from

http://www.thelotuscentreonline.co.uk/Clutch-Release-Arm-Assembly

I've also strengthened it with a 3mm plate over the section that breaks.

P1010134_zpsos5pg01b.jpg

Those shiny markings on the webbing indicate every 5mm of thrust bearing travel. I use that when I set up the adjustments for the pedal and slave cylinder.

\thanks for the info chaps.

Steve

....cont.

They're a bit rare aren't they?  Been shopping around - I believe Taff has found one.

The fork that came out of the mess was ok - but he could detect a bend.  Either I am really long-sited or Taff has microscopic vision because it looked ok to me.  Well -leave it to the experts.

There's a change in 'reason' - the fork did not break - it was to do with what the fork 'goes to' (so when Taff got into the g/box the fork was just hanging in there (so to speak).

Great isn't it....

I've also strengthened it with a 3mm plate over the section that breaks.

What you've done by this is transfer the stress point from where it breaks to the points where the 'reinforcement' ends, increasing the likelihood of it breaking :o

There's actually a different moral to the story.

Try to buy Lotus 'genuine' parts.

I'll post pictures when I can be ar...... I mean when I get a moment !!  :smoke:

Currently doing cold turkey.

Will be without my reason for living.  for TWO WHOLE WEEKS (lotus back-order).

I waited something like 8 months for some Lotac bushes for my Esprit.

Good luck on getting one.

Cheers,

Jacques.

What you've done by this is transfer the stress point from where it breaks to the points where the 'reinforcement' ends, increasing the likelihood of it breaking :o

No way. Have you actually seen how strongly ribbed it is there?

Doh, It's not strong enough?

I promise to add photos when I find them.

Currently using the Stag for work.  Imagine that - using the Stag as a 'reliable' spare for a much younger Esprit.

Who'd a thunk it?

Did I say 'buy genuine'????  Yes - ok covered that.

8 MONTHS!  Well I get their loan car tomorrow so if they're happy piling the miles on one of their cars etc etc

Has anyone given any thought as to why the fork breaks?

It's cast iron.

People misadjust the pushrod, and it gets overdriven.

People misadjust the pushrod, and it gets overdriven.

Which was what I was wondering, Sanj. And it looks to me like the release arm is forged steel, rather than cast iron.

The fork on my S4s broke at around 40,000 miles & definitely wasn't over adjusted.

The problem is they're simply not strong robust enough to cater for the super heavy clutch on the 300 Sport & S4s as, like the transmission, they were never designed to handle a clutch transmitting that much power.

Would it make any sense to have a better one made, and in a stronger material?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

My clutch fork has lasted 62,000 miles, and is still intact (I am assuming it's the original, as I don't see any past bills for a new one). That said, given the track record of the item in question, one never knows when, or if, it might break. I think I shall crack detect it, and do a bit of light polishing to relieve any possible areas of stress. That might be a worthwhile exercise, and I will do so before putting it back again.

As for whether it's worth having an improved fork manufactured, as usual it'll be down to cost, and how many members would be willing to stump up their hard-earned, I suppose.

Note for Stimpy: While searching earlier this year, there were no S4s clutch covers available anywhere, so I ended up with an S4s flywheel, drilled to suit the S4 clutch cover bolt pattern. This means I can use either the S4, or S4s clutch. It also means I can use the S4 release bearing, rather than the horrendously-priced £285 S4s version.

The fork on my S4s broke at around 40,000 miles & definitely wasn't over adjusted.

The problem is they're simply not strong robust enough to cater for the super heavy clutch on the 300 Sport & S4s as, like the transmission, they were never designed to handle a clutch transmitting that much power.

I concur.  Looking at the part - it really thins out at a particular point

My clutch fork has lasted 62,000 miles, and is still intact (I am assuming it's the original, as I don't see any past bills for a new one). That said, given the track record of the item in question, one never knows when, or if, it might break. I think I shall crack detect it, and do a bit of light polishing to relieve any possible areas of stress. That might be a worthwhile exercise, and I will do so before putting it back again.

As for whether it's worth having an improved fork manufactured, as usual it'll be down to cost, and how many members would be willing to stump up their hard-earned, I suppose.

Note for Stimpy: While searching earlier this year, there were no S4s clutch covers available anywhere, so I ended up with an S4s flywheel, drilled to suit the S4 clutch cover bolt pattern. This means I can use either the S4, or S4s clutch. It also means I can use the S4 release bearing, rather than the horrendously-priced £285 S4s version.

Hmm - interesting.

Thanks for that - I think I'll pass that on