free hit
counters
Clicking noise coming from the wheels - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
insertaliashere

Clicking noise coming from the wheels

Have any of you experienced this?

It's like a metallic click when the wheels make a revolution.

This is a reoccurring problem for me. My dealer has tried twice to fix it. noise keeps coming back.

First fix was to clean the wheels. Second was to replace the front hubs (I complained the noise was coming from front wheels.)

I'll bring it back and see what they say. The dealer has been fantastic to ensure I'm satisfied with my car.

Was curious if anyone else has had the same issue.

Thx!

Fyi: I have a '12 S with the 19/20 wheels on Michelin pss. Car is about to turn 3yrs this July.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's down to hub to wheel cleanliness. Have you had the tyres changed recently? Are you sure its the front? A friend and I changed each wheel bolt individually during testing and it was only really cleaning the hub to wheel contact that stopped the clicking noise.

Both sides or just one?

Depending on the disc/pad combination this could be nothing more complicated than "Pad Lift". The Evora has trailing calipers at the front so that as the wheel turns if there is any friction between the disc and the the pad (without the brakes being applied) it might lift the pad in the caliper against its fixings thus giving a metallic click each time it happens and then the pad falls back onto the pins. Any scarring on either the disc or pad might cause it. My S1 Exige used to do this a lot and it was a relief when I worked out what was happening. A few hard brake applications will usually clean things up sufficiently to stop it.

Alternatively, as others have said, make sure that the mating surface between the hub and the wheel has a good smearing of copperslip or similar.

Edited by the83man

Initially, I felt that I could hear them coming from the front. Dealer replaced both front hubs. This was in early February. After driving the car around since getting it back, it sounds like it is now coming from various wheels

Is it strange that I don't hear anything when reversing? I just reversed into my garage just now and was listening carefully and couldn't hear anything. I rolled forward, at a slow crawl and could hear it.

I'll try some hard braking later tonight when I head back out and see how that does.

Thanks for the replies and links (should have searched, duh)! I'll mention to the dealer about cleaning the hubs.

Not hearing it in reverse is because the calipers aren't symmetrical, per Mike's post above. Hopefully some of the suggested solutions will fix it. I'm surprised a main dealer hasn't been able to sort it.

I had a similar problem on my old Elise and BOT used some kind of anti-rattle pad or compound on the back of the pad to fix it.

Hmm - so is this a constant clicking related to wheel speed?

I have an occasional click from just my front right corner that sound's to me either like a shock absorber or caliper. It seems worse when the car is cold and especially if ithey had been raining so I assumed it was brake related but it was still clicking when I arrived at work today.

The car had just been serviced, so I imagine the wheels have been off...

I'm sorry but I don't buy the cleaning fix. I've the most annual milage of all and the sound comes and goes now and again.

Once day I'll get to the bottom of it.

Cleaning it fixes it. Happened on a couple of the Evora's I had and that solved the problem both times.

Then why does it come and go sometimes without me removing the wheels? Same for several US cars. -lol, bizarrely I'm typing this from LA at the moment  :tumbleweed:

Only happened to me in corners, it wasn't a constant fault and each corner puts different pressure/stress on the wheel. 

Clean them and it goes forever :) 

• Like 1

Confirming that cleaning them solves it. Give it a try and you'll see  :D  :D  :D

Do I get a like for multiple smilies?

:D  :D  :D  :D

Mine did it because one wheel had been refurbed and the paint was a bit thick in the bolt hole.  As a result the paint compressed leaving the bolts loose.  Removal of the wheel and reattachment and re tightening the bolts solved the problem

At the risk of being a bit obvious, could it simply be a pebble stuck between the tread? Happens to me quite often and it sounds the same as what you described

At the risk of being a bit obvious, could it simply be a pebble stuck between the tread? Happens to me quite often and it sounds the same as what you described

The clicking tends to sound on hard cornering rather on a straight ahead, which would rule out a stone, but yes the sound is similar.

As others have said, hub and wheel contact area needs a clean. Mine has started doing it again after a few thousand miles.

exaclty the same noise ...  is a costant "tic tic tic" coming from the wheels and happen when I turn left/right at low speed or I parking my car in the box.

do you think that is the same noise?

My dealer mount/dismount wheels but nothing change. maybe don't clean it?

can I ask you exactly what I've to clean? I've to clean with some lubrificant/special product?

thanks a lot.

Alfonso

On 9/20/2015 at 07:24, JAWS said:

As others have said, hub and wheel contact area needs a clean

It's in the post above, right there! :) 

Is it this noise?

If so, as suggested above Lotus say they fixed my car by cleaning the wheel hub/brake disc interface... although it took them two attempts to actually fix the problem.

I asked for an engineer to explain to me exactly how this happens because I can't wrap my head around the physics of this, and I have yet to be given any form of proper or decent explanation. No engineer or mechanic I know seems to understand it either.

Did not make any noise driving in a straight line, only on full lock or going round a fast corner

Exactly the same noise. So just suggest My DEALER To clean it ?thanksssssss

@Alfo86 make sure they remove the brake discs and clean ALL the surfaces that mate, just to be sure.

Let us know how you get on.

@JayEmm so not enough to clean the external part of the disc that have contact with the wheel? They've to clean also check brake disk side fixed to the axle? Have you managed it under guarantee?

@Alfo86 yes that's correct. Yes it was fixed under warranty.

Also despite it sounding similar to a problem experienced with the S1 (By @Bibs among others), Lotus have assured me this is a 400-specific issue and totally unrelated to any problems with the S1 that may have had the same "solution". A cause has yet to be identified as far as I know.