free hit
counters
These seem low.. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I run at 21/25 low pressure increases the grip

Buddsy

The older Esprits were "over-tyred", that is, they were fitted with larger tyres than what was needed to support the weight of the car.  Larger tires put a bigger footprint on the road, so better roadholding.

As such, they needed less pressure to support the car. Note that if you have fitted the smaller 225/60 -15 tyres as Lotus recommended when 235/60s became difficult to source, you need to run higher rear pressures, I run 30 - 32 PSI in the back now.

Another reason not to run higher pressures with stock sizes, is 1. that decreases ride comfort, and (most important) 2. you won't get enough heat into the rubber to optimize grip.  (That's why the S2 Elise needs the "LSS" Yokohama A048s:  they have a softer-than-normal compound to mitigate the grip issue).

++++++

So, to answer your question:  listen to Lotus.  :unworthy:

Edited by CarBuff

Lotus have not issued anything i am aware of about tire pressures since my particular car was released, though i know the pressures went up as they years went on.  My gut feel is to go for 30 psi on modern tires because 21/25 is drastically low, all that will happen is that you will lose grip: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=3

While the Tire Rack article is correct, the point I'm making is that Lotus knew what they were doing regards pressure recommendations with the original, higher-aspect ratio tyres.

With later Esprit's bigger wheels/lower sidewall tires, pressures WERE recommended to be higher as you know.

+++++++++

I'll admit that I am not a total purist, I ran my OE tires 3 - 4 PSI higher than factory recommended.  And, at the track, I needed ~ 30 PSI Front and 38 R to achieve consistent heat across the width of the tyre in those conditions. I never had any issues with uneven wear due to inflation, either.