free hit
counters
how much water should my engine make. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
top-plumber

how much water should my engine make.

I have an S4 that produces water at the exhaust when starting up. The head gasket is new before we go down that route and the water level in the tanks is fine. I know the engine... all engines, produce an amount of water but how much?

Also I put an oil catch tank on the car about 3 months ago, drained it today and about  half a cup of water came out. Any thoughts .

Wayne

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They all do that, don't worry about it :)

375721_10151097080425586_1589039932_n.jp

Hey Bibs, thanks for the reply and as I said I expect some water from the exhaust, but the crank case breather?

wayne

Water coming from the crank case ventilation system is usually due to condensation of hot and humid air coming from the engine. When it cools in the catch tank, the water vapour will condense again.

Ive emptied my oil catch tank a few times and when ever I have  nearly all is water with a hint (more a smell ) of oil. 

AS above just condensation etc.

Buddsy

It is SO humid here in New Orleans that we will get a chocolate milk residue building up on the bottom of our engine oil caps. I've had a lot of people freak out and think they have blown head gaskets. Moisture in the air and out of the exhaust is normal. If you car is burning coolant that much it would have clouds of white smoke or a sickly sweet odor to it.

So don't worry!

I had the same freak out with my SE about a month ago as well. Do not get to drive her much due to it being stored in another state for now so it was VERY disconcerting to see at first and went through the same OMG as you have, Every one here on TLF was quite helpful and allayed all my fears. Stinking water with a tinge of something else. lol.