free hit
counters
I changed my own headliner today! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
kehoeautomotive

I changed my own headliner today!

I had no idea what I was doing but decided to give it a try. I installed a headliner board to glue the material to and then I glued on the board. I still have to clean off a little of the old glue and remove some car polish residue but it's looking good!

94971041-E055-4C9A-A4A3-7484AD97167C_zps

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did you use a board so as not to require any edge-welting?

Here's my attempt from about 9 years ago:

Before

post-424-0-50622500-1425942719.jpg

& After.

post-424-0-78374500-1425942745.jpg

I replaced all the headliner material on the roof, side panels, rear window surround, and sunvisors.

Did your '89 have leather in many of those areas?

Edited by CarBuff

Did you use a board so as not to require any edge-welting?

I replaced all the headliner material on the roof, side panels, rear window surround, and sunvisors.

Did your '89 have leather in many of those areas?"

Yes, no edge welting. Looks great! My interior is a dark colored leather but had a white cloth headliner. The other bits like around the visor and the visors themselves are leather and look great. I used a black because I felt it matched better. 9 years later how has your headliner faired? Do you live somewhere that's really hot like myself in New Orleans.

Our headliner still looks like the day I installed it.

I wish the rear window surround was leather as on later Stevens cars, though, as dirt collects in the material from the airstream of the open windows.

post-424-0-56194900-1426033448.jpg

BTW, the flash on the photos makes the material look lighter than it is.  It's very nearly a perfect match for the original color.