free hit
counters
Oil bubbling around spark plug - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
soldave

Oil bubbling around spark plug

Have posted this in my project thread but wanted to get a bit of a wider view on this.  Noticed around spark plug number one one there was a little oil pooled around it.  It wasn't much so I'm not worried about that per se.  But then I noticed when I started the car straight away I could see it bubbling.  I've pulled the plug, tried to clean the threads and replaced, but a couple of weeks later it's back and bubbling again.

Just wondering if I should be worried about it or whether it's just one of those little annoyances that I should just live with.  Any thoughts on causes and remedies would be greatly appreciated.

post-17588-0-63098400-1425928131.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would not expect the thread as much as the spark plug washer sealing surface. You should not bubbling around the plug.

Its odd on a number of levels - Why is it bubbling and where is the oil coming from - I suspect 2 issues.  Oil from the cam tower joint and gas clearly from the plug threads.  Obvious solution would be a new plug to gain benefit of new washer.   If it still leaks then you have a crack or somehow damaged seating surface.    

Think I've got a replacement NGK plug (instead of the Champion plug in there currently). Will fit it and see if there is any difference.