free hit
counters
Why do so many people refer to the Turbo Esprit as "S3 Turbo"? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Andyww

Why do so many people refer to the Turbo Esprit as "S3 Turbo"?

Maybe its because I grew up when these cars were first launched. Or it could simply be that I am being a pedantic tw*t.

But I recall the evolution of the models. The S2.2 was the model before the fabulous Essex burst on the scene. Then after the Essex, the Turbo Esprit was the follow-on shortly followed by the Esprit S3 which superseded the S2.2.

So the two models of the day were the Turbo Esprit and the Esprit S3. On the Turbo it even states this in huge lettering on the sides. Us Turbo Esprit owners could look down their noses at club meets at owners of the "economy version" S3.

There never was a car called the S3 Turbo.

Later came the Turbo Esprit HC and the Esprit S3 HC. Then the Stevens cars were called Esprit Turbo and Esprit, followed by other later variants.

Even some owners of the Turbo Esprit call their own cars S3 Turbos. I dont really understand this. The branding of the "Turbo Esprit" was deliberately over-done by Lotus in true 80's style and has very strong imagery. Why not celebrate this name? After all, I have never heard an Audi Quattro owner refer to their car as an Audi 80 Quattro.

post-16906-0-41640800-1425936520.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you call it an S3 Turbo everyone knows what you're talking about. Call it a Turbo Esprit and people won't know if you're referring to that one or an X180 Turbo. Not everyone is as nerdy as you are to care about the difference between a Turbo Esprit and an Esprit Turbo. 

There's not an Audi Quattro and Quattro Audi is there but if there was, I'm sure people would come up with an easier way of differentiating them... 

If you call it an S3 Turbo everyone knows what you're talking about. Call it a Turbo Esprit and people won't know if you're referring to that one or an X180 Turbo. Not everyone is as nerdy as you are to care about the difference between a Turbo Esprit and an Esprit Turbo. 

But this forum has different sections for Guigaro and Stevens cars so that doesnt usually arise, and if people state the MY (as they usually do) it arises even less.

Agree that trying to differentiate using "Turbo Esprit" and "Esprit Turbo" would not work and I was not suggesting that, but thats why we call them Guigaro and Stevens cars.

Well maybe its just me. Probably is.

But this forum has different sections for Guigaro and Stevens cars so that doesnt usually arise, and if people state the MY (as they usually do) it arises even less.

If that's the solution, we might as well call them all just 'Esprit' :P

I don't mind mine being referred to as an S3 Turbo, but it is definitely not an Esprit Turbo :)

Chris

• Like 1

At least we can agree on the "fabulous Essex" description :clap:  

Don't Audi nerds refer to the "real" one as quattro (small "q") as deigned by the manufacturer?

There is geekery everywhere!

Mines a Turbo Esprit but S3 Turbo is fine for me. The S3 N/A is the Turbo less the turbo, louvres, naca ducts and a few other add ons. Its not a S2.2 and its not a Stevens and its not a HC so must be an S3 lol

To be fair even round Norwich no one really seem to know that its even a Lotus sometimes so expecting people to know its what kind of Lotus it is can be asking a bit too much!

Buddsy

Well, I actually agree with Andy in his original posting. As there are so many models tending to be a bit alike, it would be nice, if we call them by their name. It just makes it easier. Not the end of the World though. For example I sometimes see  Lotus Esprit Turbo (1988 Stevens model) referred to, as a Esprit S4. And it's absolutely not. If that would be the logic, my Lotus Esprit Turbo SE would be an Esprit S4, which is a different car not only by model year, but also by design.

The Turbo Esprit seems to me to belong to the Giugiaro shaped cars, and the Esprit Turbo Refer to the Stevens designed cars, both having turbo. Correct me, if I am wrong.

When Lotus introduced the turbo in their Esprit cars, they must have been pretty serious about it, to put the Turbo in front of the Esprit ;)  But then again, any Esprit model is a serious car ;)

just my 2-pence.

Jacques.

Cant get clearer than this Service Notes cover for the correct naming according to Lotus.

Even Wikipedia has the models listed correctly!

OK I admit.... From where we are now, using "S3" does have a certain convenience in differentiating from all the models which came later.

I am probably coming from a different angle having bought  a Turbo Esprit in 1984. In those days calling a Turbo Esprit an S3 was rather like calling a Ferrari a Fiat  :)

post-16906-0-13760100-1425976100.jpg

I don't think anyone is doubting that what you are saying about the naming above is correct.  

Its just that getting everyone to use the right name is a bit like trying to scoop air into a heap.

• Like 2

I've got a esprit s turbo - so there

Now things get really complicated in Hebrew or Arabic , because they read and write from right to left, so A Turbo Esprit becomes an Esprit Turbo , so your Giugiaro suddenly becomes a Stevens model.

greets

Geert

Edited by gvy

Yes it would.

Bond must have had a tirpsE obruT in For Your Eyes only, the white one in Spain and look what happened to it. It blew itself up. Really dangerous.

Edited by gvy

Now what about my Esprit.

Everyone calls it an Esprit S2.2

The decals on the side (original lotus) say it is an ESPRIT2.2

All 88 s2.2 had those decals

The poor thing has an identity crisis ever since. It misses his S letter.

I told it, it must have something to do with adding lightness, a decision made by Colin Chapman himself, so the poor thing can live with its missing S.

Geert

Edited by gvy

Ooohh Geert, your Esprit is a "he". Thought most here had a female designation to their Esprit whatever.

;)

Jacques.

ps: Ian, I cannot really get out right now, as I have inhaled some nasty Sodium Hydroxide. Or would that be hydroxide sodium?

so basically (if I understand correctly) when I convert my NA S3 to turbo power  I have a real S3 turbo or do I need to call it a turbo S3? LOL

Ooohh Geert, your Esprit is a "he". Thought most here had a female designation to their Esprit whatever.

;)

Jacques.

ps: Ian, I cannot really get out right now, as I have inhaled some nasty Sodium Hydroxide. Or would that be hydroxide sodium?

definitely a "he"

Its exhaust farts way to much to be called a "she".

I wouldn't wanna be seen with a "she" that does that.

Geert

"What's in a name? A rose by any  other name would smell as sweet...."

As ever, the Bard got there first.....