free hit
counters
Just had new stainless steel sports exhaust with 5" silencer fitted! - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superdavelotus

Just had new stainless steel sports exhaust with 5" silencer fitted!

Well after a week of car being in exhaust company I finally picked it up last night. They had previously fitted a decat pipe which they sell at £120 but they wanted to develop a sports exhaust. So they made two exhausts based on my car (NA). They will be making a jig with the other one.

I started it up without any gas and it's much louder than stock, a really burble. a blip of the throttle and you can soon realise that it's going to turn heads. 1st and seconds gears on acceleration and the sound in the cabin is raw and pretty loud. 3rd and 4th gears, the sound deepens a lot. I couldn't help revving the car at lights and junctions on my way to join motorway, I am certainly going to use a lot more fuel until the trill wears off!

Upon the slip road to motorway I was in 3rd gear and put my foot down, it really does bellow in the cabin, with a grin from ear to ear. Into fourth for a bit and then 5th and 6th. At the normal motorway cruising speed, it sounds a little louder than stock. Providing you are driving gently then it's really quite pleasant in the cabin. Knock it down a gear or two and accelerate and all hell breaks lose!

Overall, I am please with the sound and quality of exhaust. It needs slight adjustment and it's touching somewhere (on the undertray I think) but these are just minor things on a new product.

I want to record a sound file but not sure what to use and how best to use it. On my phone, recording video is great but the sound quality is crap! Any suggestions?

Regards,

David Walters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The mic on modern phone is actually very good, you can tune guitars accurately with them after all. You're probably just too close to the sound and maxing it out, try filming from further away and not directly in the loudest area. 

Love a nice load  :)

Quoted for prosperity.

Hi Bibs,

I think it's the other way round, I was pretty far away at the time. I will try something later if this rain stops by us!

I don't have a U tube account so I'll have to open one up too!

Regards,

David Walters

I don't understand the need to generate intrusive noise. OK on track but pointless on the public roads. It mostly annoys people and sets a target for the whiners.

Edited by the83man

Endorphins :)

Each to their own I suppose. I've always thought the standard Evora exhaust was way too quiet as have a lot of Evora owners on here who have bought various sports exhausts and decat pipes and headers.

The Evora has gone back in to have final adjustments, tails made shorter, stops added etc.

Will get it back on Friday!

I got the car back an hour ago and I need to change heading to 6" silencer now!

It only went it for a few tweaks but after a quick assessment they weren't happy with the overall product and started again from a clean sheet. Matter reporting back about the noise levels at different Rev ranges and gears, they decided to fit a 6" silencer instead and try a different pipe route as the tails were catching on the anti roll bar. Now it's 20mm above which is more than plenty enough.

After driving it for last half hour, it's quite a bit quieter then first attempt. Whilst driving at any speed crushing, you can hardly hear any noise from rear at all. Much more drivable.

When you fire it up though, it's throaty and quite raspy. Revs die down to idle and it's quite civilised.

Accelerate and you can really hear it but not harsh and the sound is more suited to car and probably more sellable.

Overall I am much happier than I was yesterday and didn't even realise that I was going to get a completely new system. I was happy with that too but on reflection it was perhaps a little too loud!