free hit
counters
Fuel Tank Float Change - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
marmar1305

Fuel Tank Float Change

Hi,

I`m looking for a new float to replace mine in the fuel tank Esprit SE Turbo.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it's a white, plastic, barrel shaped float you're after loads of British cars used them so get down your nearest scrapyard :thumbup:

On the SE, they're rectangular, but do they break? They seem to be made of a solid(?) plastic material, non-porous. Normally it's the resistor/wiper which fails.

I threw away my old assembly (tired of the fluctuating indications) and replaced it with a custom tube type sender from Isspro, Portland, Oregon (of course, a lot more expensive than replacing a float).

Qavion,

Did this tube type do the trick?  Did you have to change the gauge as well or just the sender?  What ohm range does it output?

Cheers

Chris, I had two problems. One was the standard fuel slosh problem (variations with acceleration/deceleration). The other was random 1/4 tank variations with an unknown cause (one minute it would be ok... the next it wasn't). I changed both the sender and the gauge and there is still a problem. Actually, I spent a few hours on the wiring yesterday, but didn't see anything obvious. The wiring on my '89 SE seems to be unique. It doesn't match the 88~92 notes or the S4 notes. I have an extra 3 pin square plug near the ECM (which is good for faultfinding).

The custom tube type sender from ISSPRO fixed the variations due to fuel slosh, however (which is pretty nice). The ohmage of my new sender matches the old one. It's 10 +/-1 ohms (empty) to 182 +/- 5 ohms (full) with a separate output (switch) to activate the low fuel light. Your car will have the same values, but the wiring may be different (e.g. it might have an earth near the sender). At some point, Lotus added a long black earth wire which went through a harness (with the other two wires (green/black and green/orange)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by Qavion