free hit
counters
Going to attempt installing a new windscreen - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ginger pig

Going to attempt installing a new windscreen

All,

I have to fit a new windscreen to my project SE as currently it does not have one.

I was contemplating getting the likes of National Windscreens to come and do it but I would really like to do as much as possible on the car myself.

I have been looking through the service notes on replacing the windscreen and it looks pretty simple.

The problem I have; is that I have thought on many occasion that something would be simple and, then reality proved the opposite.

Before I start to by the sunction tools and windscreen bonder; does anyone have any advice, concerns or opinions on taking on such a job?

I will try to document with photos; if and when I decide to complete.

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are plenty of jobs you can do your self on a car...I wouldnt even consider doing this one!

Could be just me though...I do know a chap who nearly chopped his arm off removing an old one when it delaminated though. Just be careful.

Buddsy

And make sure you use the spacers... 

Cheers guys,

bought the spacers the other day.

Luckilly I do not have to remove the old screen; just insert the new one.

I say 'just' but you know what I mean!

Anyway; comments appreciated and are giving me food for thougt.

Mark

Trial fit, trial fit, trial fit.....

Get a friend etc

I would imagine that you will need a bid seam of screen  sealant/bond - do you have a special gun and some proper sealant? Of course you do! What am I saying??

Anyway, I would attempt this one. Good luck mate, prep will be the determiner of the outcome of this job.

Perhaps the fiend would be best employed taking the documenting images.....

The skill is in the application of the sealant. Too little and you risk a leaking screen. Too much and at best you'll bond the interior trim or at worst do that and have an unsightly mess. Ensure you have adequate help when lowering the glass into place.

When I had mine replaced they mentioned having the sealant at the correct operating temperature so that it came out of the gun at the best viscosity...

I saw them replace a screen on Wheeler Dealers once and the trick is apparently to cut the nozzle of the sealant into a 'V' so that you lay down a pyramid shaped line of sealant, which ensures there is good contact all around the screen.

I think the manual explains exactly how to cut the nozzle into a very specific shape to get the right bead.

I have a friend here in Denmark, WHO bought his Esprit only last Summer, and with a broken windshield. He bought a new one  and the bits, adn in two hours with the help of e friend, it was sercurely in place. He told me, that it's actually not difficult at all.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

All,

Thanks for your posts............. I have bought the sunction tools now and will attempt installation within the next few weeks!

Mark

live on u tube?

Maybe on.

Youv'e Been Framed.