free hit
counters
Oh Dear - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Chinsterb

Oh Dear

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What happened Christian?

If the car hasn't been used for awhile can tend to happen a couple of times until the little niggles are sorted

An initiation? :lol:

• Like 2

It happens to all of us. :-)

dayout3a.jpg

Que sera sera. :)

You can even get them delivered like that!

S4Delivery.jpg

It's part of the game.Two years ago the AA told me I had reached the limit of my recovery's foir the year and that was 6, but hey it's a Lotus and that was for a car that hed been stning for about 7 years and all silly little niggles. Now on AA Gold and not had to use it so far so the quality of repairs must be getting better lol.

1 failed alternator.

2 plug blew out of new radiator.

3 rear wheel blowout on the motorway.

4 electrical fault in ignition switch

5 failed fuel pump

6 second failed alternator

7 broken connection on wiring to starter motor while in multi storey car park.

Must just say the above were not all on the same car though.

Any of the above could happen to any car, I was just unlucky for a while. I still just smile when I go out in them, the grin factor cures all.

Hope you get it sorted Christian.you could almost forgive the car any thing .That looks that good .Mike

I use mine every 2 weeks year round (as long as it is dry and there is no salt on the roads). So far in 20+ years I have had to call out a rescue service twice. Once for a fuel pump -hit with a big hammer and got me home. Once for a flat battery - restarted and got me home. Touch wood!

I didn t hve the pleasure yet to be towed away with the esprit.  Fingers crossed.

I wonder , where to attach the winch cable on a giugiaro Esprit, in case ?

Geert

First time for a bout 15 years last week...

IMAG2074_zpsva8vdrae.jpg

Car stalled on a roundabout , when i turned her over there was a big pop and black smoke! would turn over but would not stay running. 

All recovered to the garage so we can see what the issue is. in some small way i am hoping that i can use this as an excuse to rebuild the carbs and the turbo and have the turbo repainted in black crinkle finish add some braided hoses etc 

She had been doing what I think is called the Lotus two step between 2500 and 3500 rpm and backfiring a little so wondering if it is somehthing to do with that 

I will keep you all posted 

If it's any consolation, this is my pals Ferrari yesterday morning... £200k's worth!! 

10646751_10153167441138980_6829021976610

Still think the esprit is a prettier car by far bibs

Hands down, no contest.

• Like 1

I agree but then I would, even broken the esprit looks cool! 

It is helping me in other ways as well. I am having to learn to be patient to find out what is wrong with it and I have to be calm becasue I know it is going to cost me to fix and there is nothing I can do about it so it is not worth worrying about it!..

so it is actually being a real therapy! 

Christian

Same for me - just getting rid of the gremlins - but it's an upward value curve - so as long as you are sensible - it's all good fun and if you ever want out - you shouldn't loose too bad. You've got a g car - and they are soaring

That 200k Ferrari - that's lovely - but it's depreciating by the day and running costs are arrrggh

Even if I have the money - it's still a simple choice

I agree but then I would, even broken the esprit looks cool! 

It is helping me in other ways as well. I am having to learn to be patient to find out what is wrong with it and I have to be calm becasue I know it is going to cost me to fix and there is nothing I can do about it so it is not worth worrying about it!..

so it is actually being a real therapy! 

isn`t under warranaty from UK sportscars.By the way saw a new m6 being loaded on a tow truck today

There seems to be a pattern emerging here.

I've only just posted a "hello" in the intro thread, and already your car's being recovered from a breakdown. Sorry to read that. When I bought my Esprit last year, there were myriads of mechanical bits just waiting in the wings to fail, but I only discovered quite a few of them once I removed the engine and gearbox. Not that I'm suggesting that course of action to you, though!

Since I bought it, it's only been driven for about 500 miles, 250 of those were when I collected it, another 120 or so to the TLF BBQ, and one local jaunt out. The rest of the time it's been in my garage being worked on. Hopefully it should emerge later this year like a chrysalis morphing into a butterfly.........or perhaps a maggot into a bluebottle. Only time will tell.

Good luck with the repairs, Christian. The photos look very good indeed.

Don't say that Ian!!!

I've put about 600 miles on mine now - and touching wood......tempting fate....... It's been ok so far......cue the a/rac card at hand

Yes it certainly has issues that are due to lack of use......but all my triumphs over the past suffered with those...

The issue with these cars is they are more expensive to love, and folks often don't...... So any real use can be testing to start with.

Im sure once you've loved yours a bit - it'll be like a dragonfly bursting into action.

Christians car looks superb..... But surely a warranty???? I hope it's a cheap easy fix....

Went to visit my car to day and drop off a K&N filter to be added whilst it is off the road I have been taking the opportunity to make a few other changes repainting pretty much everything on the top of the engine, changing the cambelt and changing the jets in the carbs (everyone seems to think this is good idea) also getting the wheels done properly. It seems that the fault was in the distributor there is a little plastic ring which had snapped in to 4 bits so the arm was spinning all over the place hence the misfiring the belt looks to have slipped one or two teeth but no damage to the vales of pistons so should be back on the road in a week or so!! Yeah! Have to say the service I have had from the garage has been great so far, really really helpful could not ask for more at the moment. will let you all know when it is up and running.