free hit
counters
Speedo angle drive removal advice - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
directordanw

Speedo angle drive removal advice

The speedo on my Eclat S2.2 isn't working.  I've eliminated the speedo cable and speedo itself by the very scientific method of connecting them up to a cordless drill.  So the next port of call has to be the angle drive.  Mine is very loose in the side of the Getrag box - not as in lateral movement but it can be rotated by hand.  Is this right?  And how does it come out?  There's a threaded barrel going into the side of the box with a nut on it and then another threaded barrel that attaches to the drive itself.  I'm assuming the nut stays on the box but has anyone got any advice/brilliant solutions as to how to grab hold of the drive tight enough to loosen this nut?  And I'm guessing some oil will come out with it, but not a lot?

Thanks all, Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have no experience of the Getrag angle drive, but every angle drive I've seen is just screwed onto the gearbox by large brass sleeve with a thread inside.  This is meant to be hand-tight, but you usually end up need a pair of gland-nut pliers to loosen it (stick a rag in the jaws to reduce the scarring of the brass.

The chances are the flexible square pin that goes into the gearbox has sheered off. This is engineered to be the failure point, I believe, to avoid breaking anything more expensive.  I had an angle drive once where someone had replaced the pin with a shaved-down six inch nail....

All correct, the angle drive is basically an extension of the speedo cable, I tested mine by unscrewing from the gear cable, then the angle drive from the gearbox as described above. I then rotated the speedo cable and have smoenone watch the speedo head. I then did the same again with the angle drive connceted tot he speedo cable and again had someone watch the speedo while I spun the drive, as in above I found the short drive cable within the right angle drive had snapped. I found a replacement from an MGB GT. The angle drive is slightly smaller but the shrt cable was the same.

Hi Dan,

My S2 speedo drive has gone as well, the square drive into the gearbox has sheared.

To remove it just undo the large nut, it has left hand thread on the speedo drive and right hand thread on the gearbox side, so as you undo it from the gearbox it also undose from the speedo drive.

So the fact that the unit has quite a lot free movement in the box isn't an issue? As long as I undo the nut anti-clockwise in relation to the gearbox it should come out?

Thanks guys.  Lotus Forums to the rescue as always!  I'll get back under the car tomorrow.  Supposed to be painting the bathroom today...

I got around to repairing my angle drive yesterday.

I found it best to remove the cable first, undoing it with long nose pliers due to the road crap on the threads. Then you can rotate the angle drive to get the best clearance with the chassis as you undo the large double thread nut (its really close as the nut undoes).

With it on the bench i found the drive wire had sheared off, so i carefully removed the end cap and pushed the drive gear out.

With the gear out i found that the drive wire is fed into a hole in the end and crimped to hold it in, so i ran a small drill into the remains of drive wire to clean out the hole, then cut a suitable length off an old speedo cable, slotted it back into the hole and then brazed it in.

With the gear now repaired it was just a case of cleaning, putting it back together and peening the cap back on the angle drive.

Edited by pbharcourt

Back under the car today, still couldn't get the large but to shift and in danger of damaging the brass threads. So I pulled the entire unit out of the box instead so I can work on it on the bench. However in so doing naturally a fair bit of oil spilt from the box and made me think a) I ought to top it up and b)as the oil's not been changed in the year I've owned the car then now might be a good time.

So I examined the box and located the drains d fill plugs. But this left me scratching my head. How does one physically fill the box back up? Is there access to the plug from inside the car? Otherwise the full plug is higher than the transmission tunnel and I couldn't figure out how to get the oil in there! No doubt there's a blindingly simple solution. Over to you!

Back under the car today, still couldn't get the large but to shift and in danger of damaging the brass threads. So I pulled the entire unit out of the box instead so I can work on it on the bench. However in so doing naturally a fair bit of oil spilt from the box and made me think a) I ought to top it up and b)as the oil's not been changed in the year I've owned the car then now might be a good time.

So I examined the box and located the drains d fill plugs. But this left me scratching my head. How does one physically fill the box back up? Is there access to the plug from inside the car? Otherwise the fill plug is higher than the transmission tunnel and I couldn't figure out how to get the oil in there! No doubt there's a blindingly simple solution. Over to you!

Get an oil suction syringe to squirt the oil into the box from below,

• Like 1

It can be a pig to refill, one way I managed in the past when I didn't have a syringe was to heat the oil contaiers in hot water which obviously thinned the oil then you could squeeze the bottle and get the oil into the box, obviously not all the oil in the container but I just kept topping up a bottle so it was near full and managed that way.

May I ask something concerning the other side so we have it altogether in one thread... I can't get the speedo cable off from the speedo. What is the trick with it? I have turned it to the left (looking from behind the speedo)

Thanks in advance

post-5769-0-53327200-1435609092.jpg

Hi Don, you have maybe sorted this one out by now but all you do is squeeze that little plastic tag and it should pop off.

• Like 1

Hi John,

yes. Just after I got another joint on my fingers grown it eventually did come off...

Thanks for the advise.

Dan: Did you made any pictures of it? What was the result at the end, what was wrong at the end?

How did you refilled the box and with which oil?

@all: if there is something that sheers off... does it mean, there is something in the oil which should be got out of there?

Edited by Don.Hasi

Help! As already noted my speedo isn´t working :( 

I think, the cable is ok. It spinds free.

I am still searching for the part, which is broken. Is it the angle piece or the other half with is hold with the great nut on the piece which is going into the gearbox?

IMG_7939 1.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

Hi Don, the angle live should be similar to the one below, I've not seen one with the screw in it like yours I'm suspecting that it has parted company in the past and that was a modification to try and stop it happening again.

image.jpg

Interesting :o so, if I buy the one you have attached I could simple bolt it on and hooray? :)

So the last piece after the thread should come apart of it and naturally being in one case? 

I wonder, if only the screw on the case should be locked properly and all will be working again or are the fragments of the wire not enough to work fine again?

Hi Don, there is the spigot that is held into the gearbox by a flat plate with m10 bolt, remove the bolt and plate and the spigot which has the rest of the angle drive still attached should just pull out. Once you have this out you will see a nylon gear that fits in the spigot. This is a picture of that part. The angle drive square wire should locate into the red nylon gear at the threaded end

hope this pic helps

image.jpg

Dan: Thanks for the advices. Do you think the spigot of this auction will be right for the S2 Getrag?

On the first sight I couldnt find the o seal on the spigot... :o Unfortunately the car is not leveled properly so a huge amount of oil drops out, when I take the spigot out. Is there a counter chanel for the o-ring inside? Maybe I havent seen it...

This is how far I took it today...

IMG_7968.jpg

IMG_7969.jpg

Hi Don, the spigot has a recess machined into it for the o ring, there is also a small o ring on the shaft of the red nylon gear where it passes through the spigot. I think that you would be all right with the eBay spigot as I believe that the nylon gears are colour coded according to teeth numbers but I could be wrong. The angle drive looks like it could be rebuilt, I would consider pinning the brass part  and stud locking it in. The  flexible square drive remains  will obviously need drilling out and replacing. If you buy a new angle drive bear in mind that they have different gear ratios dependant on the cars gearbox and diff ratios.

i have a plan to go electric rather than mechanical angle drive for the speedo at some point, this involves a transducer rather than the angle drive and having the gauge converted to electric

regards Dan

image.jpg

Looks promising, Dan :) will it be bolt direct on the spigot or on the angle drive?

Hi Don, I believe it should bolt onto the spigot. Once on the speedo will need calibrating accordingly. Finding this part is the first step I've taken so far.

regards Dan

keep us informed :)

Does anybody know which exactly name the connector on the angle side has? I would order another cable then.

IMG_0974.JPG

Hi Don if I understand you, you are referring to the round ridged bit on the threaded side of the angle drive in the picture. If so this is part of the speedo cable and appears that yours has come off of the end of the cable. Have you been on rdent.com if not have a look and go to parts  manuals top left side of home page, it has the parts manuals online for all the early Lotus cars including the Elite/Eclat

regards Dan

Hi Dan, yes, exactly that thing :) Sadly nowhere in any partslist the item is fully described :(