free hit
counters
S4s Battery - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I need a new battery for the S4s.

I see no real benefit in anything exotic so - does anyone have any recommendations?  

Cheers 'all

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lead acid chap - stay away from the silly dry cells. Had them on a couple of vehicles and they've always been rubbish.

They charge differently so you can't just swap without making sure all is ok to do so. But once they are replaced all your issues will go away......

Yuasa 5 year warranty for £60 at Andrew Page, just stuck one on mine (an 075 I think but check first, only one size fits)

Haven't really decided yet, but I have had a Shorai LiFe carbon wraped battery for 5 years now on my Laverda SFC1000  motorcycle. Works really well, always holds power without charging over the Winter, and weighs 1/8'th of the original lead acid model.

I will probably couple two 35Ah models together. And save some 10 kilo.

Never to be charged with a smart charger, though. And Price is really steep.

I also have had a Tecno AGM battery for 9 years now. No issues what so ever. Saves weight and starts perfectly. Can use smart chargers, like for example my ctek's. I charge it over Winter once per month.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Halfords. 4 year warranty, job done.

I fall on the 'good old' lead acid side.

And I can't see any issue with a halfords one.

Cheers all

Or try Costco.  They have Bosch batteries at very good prices and they come with a 3 year or 5 year (can't remember which) warranty.  

Eurocarparts for the Bosch battery. Cannot be beaten on price and its delivered as well

Nice one fellas.

The battery thing must be contagious because I drove the Stag home tonight - after work - and the IGN light was flashing.

So off went the stereo and the lights (it wasn't too dark) and prayed that the fuel pump could survive the dropping volts.

When I got home I also heard a weird noise.  Fearing the worst [which seams to be a habit recently] I popped the bonnet.

Phew - the alternator bolts got loose and the belt was dancing on the pulleys.  Due to the 'dancing rhythm (i.e. grip then no grip repeat) the IGN light was flashing on and off.  And there was me thinking that a flashing IGN was down to some form of electronic intelligence in the old girl. 

I see the Stag is still behaving in the manner to which we've become accustomed!

Halfords. 4 year warranty, job done.

Incidentally, you'll never have to pay for another battery again...

True story :)

I see the Stag is still behaving in the manner to which we've become accustomed!

Well, most people have a spare tyre - I went with the spare car option!  (Sorry if that looks like bragging!!!).

Whenever we go to classic events (e.g. goodwood) the Stag fires up and off we go.

In all honesty it's never let us down (once known issues were 'worked around'/'adapted'/etc)

I even caught myself thinking how 'modern' the car felt but that goes with the ZF auto-box.  4k revs = 85 mph.  Bliss.

FFS - I hope I haven't just jinxed myself (again)

I guess it's the same as most classics - the original problems will have been ironed out by now. That ZF 'box must be a vast improvement on the old Bogwash 35, what a horrible thing that was.

Love the triumphs - 95% of all bad things about stags are due to the 5% of numpty owners whom just don't look after them.

Sound familiar?????

"That ZF 'box must be a vast improvement on the old Bogwash 35"

It was the most amazing upgrade I've had in my life (re cars).  70mph on the 35 had the V8 squealing like a Vauxhall Nova at 90mph - not quite the right tune for a 'vee'.  The ZF 'locks' at 50 mph and the engine purrs at 80 and just road noise at 90+.  Quite amazing.

I use a yellow top optima battery.their expensive, but worth it.

Love the triumphs - 95% of all bad things about stags are due to the 5% of numpty owners whom just don't look after them.

Sound familiar?????

Strangely, yes it does Barry.

Strangely, yes it does Barry.

Actually the problem goes back to heavily unionised 'lack of passion' workers with 'poor workmanship'.  It should have been a great success otherwise - check 'for the love of cars' Stag episode.

One example of shoddy work is the cooling of heads in sand and then missing out on removing sand before assembly.  Then - under warranty - people would demand a fix.  So - new gasket - skimming etc. Put back together without clearing the sand out that caused the problem and the cycle goes on.  Although I've added items that help with cooling, the Stag is perfectly fine in it's original format (I just added a bit of modern cooling as 'insurance' if you like).

I change the oil every 2500 miles (it barely gets black!) - I also fully clean out the cooling to overcome the metal reaction issue.   The cam chain is done every 20000 miles (not by me - too scary).

A quarter of all stags made are still on the road today.  Mine is one of them.

Do I qualify as a 'numpty'?