free hit
counters
Odd Steering Sensation - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all, new poster here!

I've had my Evora NA for just over a year and have loved every minute with it. However recently I've been experiencing an odd sensation on turn it that seems to have coincided with the fitment of new PZeros ( the car was previously on RE050As), however I'm not sure it's tyre related.

The car feels slightly vague on the dead ahead with some play/slack when turning the wheel slightly left or right of the dead ahead at lower speeds. This never used to be apparent. Similarly, in turn in at higher speeds (particularly pronounced when turning right), the car does feel more vague, with a degree of what feels like lateral movement (as if the car is taking a moment to settle on turn in), which can be quite disconcerting. The car has been in to Murrays who put it down to release agent, but after 1000+ miles on the tyres, I'd suspect this would have fully worn off by now. I've taken their advice to take the car for a spirited run, but it doesn't seem to have materially helped.

Anyone have any experience on this? Annoying as it's difficult to describe and proving even more difficult to diagnose! I'm now thinking it might be drop link or bush related, but there's no perceiveable knocking noise.

Any wisdom appreciated, as I'm a mechanical luddite!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My first port of call with steering issues is alignment. I presume that has all been checked and is within all the correct measurements?

Did Craig at MMC get the geo checked for you at the time?  I'd guess not, if tyres were still brand new at the time and he suggested the release agent.  Have you been back to him or even called him since as he's very god and will want to get the problem resolved and sorted.  I have run with those tyres and 18/19's on a number of Evoras and like on my present larger ones I have found the geo very sensitive.  Just changing to the winter tyres wheels combo can vary the sensation of tram-lining.  

When I notice it the most is when running on the M-way's and you get in those lorry train tracks some have in the inside lane and when you come out of them you feel as if you are shooting over the road with little steering input.

Geo certainly sounds to be the first port of call.  

On another note I see that is your first post on TLF so welcome.  We have a healthy social scene as well up here so if interested pop up over on the LEGS section and say hello.  Brian (bingoking) can add you to the regional PM list if you wish so you will be reminded of anything Lotus happening in Scotland. Which part of God's country are you from?

Cheers,

Al.

Thanks for the responses so far. Craig at MMC is certainly very good and his service with the car has been first class to date.

The tyres weren't brand new on when it was in and he was aware they'd been on for a while. I don't think he checked the geo in detail, but having had the car out to try and diagnose the problem, Craig talked me out of getting the geo done as it felt pretty straight to him.

Sounds like I'll have to get it booked back in to see if it fixes the issue.

Thanks for the welcome Al, I'm based in Glasgow. Heading further north is the key for the roads though!

Are they the correct M0 & M01 marked Pzeros? What pressures are you running, 33psi front and 36psi rear?

Yup, correct MO and MO1 fitment, running 33psi at the front and 36psi at the rear.