free hit
counters
Starter motor connections. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cushing

Starter motor connections.

My starter motor has two spade connectors and I forgot to mark them when I stripped the motor !. I have two wires one WR and one NW, looking at the diagrams in the manual I can only see the WR connection at the starter, which ones go where ? 

88 Carb/Turbo

post-17533-0-26910900-1426410471.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One side is marked with 15a and the other has 50 or SO not too sure. The wires are original so not sure why it's not shown on the diagrams in the manual. Next time one of you is poking around in the engine bay have a look for me please :-) 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552

Suggests the 50 terminal is for the starter wire from the ignition switch and 15a the feed to the coil to bypass the ballast.

Get them the wrong way round and it will not turn over but will not damage anything if only done briefly.

On the DELCO injected cars, the 15a spade connector is covered with a rubber cover.

P8150134.JPG

Thanks guys, I found out where the NW (Brown and White) wire should go, it's the oil pressure switch and not the starter motor !! but it seems my oil switch has only one connector ? is this normal ? it looks the same as yours Travis but one side is blanked off, looks like there was never a connector there. 

It's possible that the 88 doesn't use the oil pressure sender the same way my 89SE doors. I'm not sure. The SE shows oil pressure and a tell tale lamp for low oil pressure on the dash.

It could be, I now remember it was just hanging when I stripped the motor out, I must be getting old...Thanks for the input :-)